Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
20K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  pcfreak4 
#1 · (Edited)
hello everyone,
I just installed my RRE underdrive pulley so i took some pictures. The RRE how to is not made for visual persons like me. I you need to see the things before doing a mod(like me) this is a tutorial for you. So here we go.

I will use the RRE text instuctions and add some of my pictures to make it perfect.

Tools Needed:
* 1/2” Drive Ratchet wrench with 3” extension
* 3/8” Drive Ratchet wrench
* 3/8” Drive 12mm long extension
* 3/8” Drive 10mm long extension needed to remove splashguards
* Allen wrench of medium size to hold pensioner
* Jack and Jack stand to hold up car
* 4 way to remove lug nuts
* Various screw drivers Phillips & straight to remove plastic splashguards
* Your new Pulley
* Your new Belt

(If you need pictures for steps 1 to 4... just sell your eclipse and buy a bicycle with fluffy handles and nice cute horn)
1. Park your car in a level safe work area, let your car cool for a little while if needed.
2. Loosen the lug nuts a few turns on your passenger right front wheel
3. Jack the car up and support it securely on a jack stand
4. Remove the wheel/lugnuts from the car
5. Remove the splash guards behind the strut and under the oil filter area. This step is difficult, not technically although will take some patience.

Pictures for step 5
You will need a flat head + philipps screwdriver to remove the clips from splash guard. There is 1 bolt to remove on the left upper side wich require a 12mm socket. You don't really need to remove the plastic completly, you can leave the right side attached.

1 clip to remove under the car

6. At this point you will pop the hood if you have not done so already. You will now want to observe the belt routing. Take notes if you need to.
7. Next step is too loosen although do not remove the 4 bolts on the stock pulley.

loosen the 4 bolts with 12mm socket

8. You will now want to observe the tensioner. You will see the part on the tensioner where the 1/2" drive ratchet goes. At the bottom left corner of the tensioner you will see a small round hole where the Allen wrench goes into. You do not want the Allen wrench any farther than 1/2" into this hole.
9. Next you want to take the 1/2" drive and pull it towards the front of the car which will take the tensioner towards the rear of the car. This will begin to remove tension from the belt.
10. At the point which you cannot pull the tensioner any more you will now see that your Allen wrench can be pushed through to hold the tensioner back. This step can be done with one person although it is difficult to hold the tensioner back and then push the Allen wrench through.
11. You can now let go of the wrench and the belt tension should be free and the tensioner should be held in place.

Here are picture on how to get the tensioner off and i also made a video so you can't really not understand this.

link to video Log In | Facebook

Now you can use RRE images to route your new belt.

Once the new belt is in place, all you have to do is take all pieces back in place and have fun with your car.

12. You will now remove the belt from the car taking careful note of how it is routed.
13. Next you will remove the 4 bolts from the stock pulley and remove the pulley from the car.
14. Next you will put the better pulley on making sure to line of the notch on the crank to the proper hole on the pulley. This is easy to do and there is only one way to go
15. Next you will put the 4 bolts on and tighten them down so the pulley is no longer loose.
16. Now you will prepare your belt by removing the folds and trying to straighten it out like the old belt
17. You will now put the belt on the car, make sure it is set in all the pulleys correctly
18. You will now remove the Allen wrench on the tensioner by turning the tensioner towards the rear of the car by using the 1/2" ratchet.
19. Now that you have belt tension tighten the 4 crank bolts down as hard as you can. I do not have torque specs for these.
20. After this do a final check of the belt and the pulley to make sure everything is tight and the area is free of tools and anything that would hurt a test start.
21. Test it by starting the car and observe the belt and pulley to make sure everything is tight and spinning correctly. Make sure the belt is on all the pulleys and hasn't moved over.
22. After testing you will now be ok to put the splash shields back on, put the wheel back on, hand tighten the lug nuts, raise the jack, remove the jack stand, lower the jack, then double check the lug nuts to make sure they are tight.
23. Go drive your car, be impressed with the results and tell your RalliArt friends to buy one.
Click on pictures for larger ones, then click back to return to this page!

Now some extra pictures of the job

Stock pulley at left and RRE pulley at right

RRE pulley in place

See less See more
#30 ·
Nothing, i was just concerned maybe my chrome was acting up, anyway got it install, drove the balls out of it and when i came to a redlight, idle was perfect :yahoo::yahoo: this may have been what was causing my odd shudder idle

#32 ·
Well that may be true, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth haha

#34 ·
yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.