What to choose: 3G or 4G? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2000-2005 Eclipse (General 3G)

2000-2005 Eclipse (General 3G) General discussion and information about 2000~2005 (3rd Generation) Eclipse

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tom Lozano
Lighten is on a distinguished road
What to choose: 3G or 4G?

Hello!

I want to buy Eclipse, but I'm hesitating what to choose: 3G or 4G? I understand that 4G is newer, but it doesn't mean it's better. What would you recommend?
Lighten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Tristen
ROAD RENEGADE is on a distinguished road
Would recommend a 4G over a 3G not because I have owned 2 4G Eclipse's but because the newest generation of Eclipse's seem to be put together a lot better. The 3G's I've been in feel a little cheap and just don't have the feel the forth generations offer. The 4G Eclipses are a lot more unique looking than the 3G's in all aspects. There is also a lot more power in a 4G as compared to its earlier model. The way the 4G handles feels like your actually driving the car rather then riding it. If you get the chance get drive both the GS and the GT. The GS is great for a daily commute but lets be honest here... you looking to get a sports car so GET THE GT! If you drive either the GT or the GS and take the car for a spin around curves and tight corners while punching it, it would be very very very hard not to smile cause you can feel your head being pushed back and into the seat.

4G is my vote
ROAD RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Otis Jenkins
Vehicle: 2010 4G
Jenkins is on a distinguished road
Hi!

You have to make your own choice, as every person has his/her own needs and preferences. I just can advice you to find car's VIN decoding and check the history before purchase. To get information you need lookup car model by VIN: https://trustvin.com/auto-history-by...the-vin-number, http://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history.php, https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck or any other source. The data you'll receive help you to find out more and make the best choice!

Good luck!

Last edited by Jenkins; July 27th, 2017 at 02:55 AM.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 26th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Your Friendo

Name: Dethklok
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/4g63 GS(T)
Tsensational is just really niceTsensational is just really niceTsensational is just really niceTsensational is just really nice
Depends on how much you'll be modifying. If little to none, 4G.

I say this because 3G i4s are relatively easy to engine swap with little modification. Also, your AWD parts are a bit easier if you decide to go that route. You can do the same with the 4g but theres more work involved. Also, since alot of the 4g63s you can find in the states are 04+, you can attach all emissions parts and get away with CARB certification if you're willing to spend the money and time.

Stock for stock GS, I prefer the driving feel of the 4g in terms of interior comfort, suspension and engine feel. 3G definitely feels lighter on i4 vs i4s though. With intake/exhaust/headers/cams and a moderate tune, my 4g GS auto was pulling on my friends' stock GTs consistently.

The stock 4g GT feels torquey enough not to really need to modify for reasons beyond the fun of the build imo. Keep in mind that I personally prefer my street cars to max out 350hp AWD/RWD and 320-ish for FWDs. Its a smooth but strong acceleration that will get you off the line fast enough on regular streets. You shouldn't have any problems passing the grandma hogging the fast lanes.

I Instagram sometimes
Tsensational is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Joe womack
Vehicle: 2000 eclipse Gt
6g75_3g is on a distinguished road
Depending on how much work you want to put into the car is up too u.

What are you looking to do to the car?
6g75_3g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Tom Lozano
Lighten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g75_3g View Post
What are you looking to do to the car?
It depends on what I choose. I think the 4g is better for me.

Thanks guys for sharing your experience! It's really helpful in making a decision.
Lighten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighten View Post
Hello!

I want to buy Eclipse, but I'm hesitating what to choose: 3G or 4G? I understand that 4G is newer, but it doesn't mean it's better. What would you recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkins View Post
Hi!

You have to make your own choice, as every person has his/her own needs and preferences. I just can advice you to find car's VIN decoding and check the history before purchase. To get information you need lookup car model by VIN: https://trustvin.com/auto-history-by...the-vin-number, Vehicle History Reports and VIN Check | DMV.org, https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck or any other source. The data you'll receive help you to find out more and make the best choice!

Good luck!

Calling you out--you guys share an IP, and as one account signed out the other signed in.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Tristen
ROAD RENEGADE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Calling you out--you guys share an IP, and as one account signed out the other signed in.

What the hell your saying a guy made a second account to comment on his own thread lol wtf
ROAD RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mitsu4thg

Name: Charles
Vehicle: 2011 eclipse gs sport
Charlesdcann is on a distinguished road
I had a 3g, it was reliable, I drove literally across the country in it multiple times, but I still wouldn't recommend it over the 4g. I feel the 4g is more reliable over it. My 3g had to have a lot of money put into it to run well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Charlesdcann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD RENEGADE View Post
What the hell your saying a guy made a second account to comment on his own thread lol wtf
There are 2 logins from the same IP, and when one logged out the other logged in. That tells me it's from the same computer most likely as you can't run 2 account instances due to the caching.

So either he did it, or someone else on his computer. And he responded to them. Or a chance so small I can't measure it, the IP he used switched with someone else who happened to log in at the same time as he signed out

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Auracool is on a distinguished road
3g=Chrysler,Dodge,&Plymouth.
4g=Mitsubishi.
Auracool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2019, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auracool View Post
3g=Chrysler,Dodge,&Plymouth.
4g=Mitsubishi.
False...that partnership was “DSM”

3gs were the 1st eclipse after that partnership
Old January 14th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have 2005 spyder driven daily.
Recently changed the spark plugs and noticed....
Hold up, this is a Chrysler Sebring motor?!?!?
Indeed it is.
Old January 14th, 2019, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

4th generation were the first motors completely designed and manufactured by Mitsubishi in America. That's the other reason I am obsessed with them.
I owned a 1996 Plymouth Neon Highline with an 2.0L ECC DOHC. One of the motors you could find in a 90's model eclipse.
Old January 14th, 2019, 03:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auracool View Post
I have 2005 spyder driven daily.
Recently changed the spark plugs and noticed....
Hold up, this is a Chrysler Sebring motor?!?!?
Indeed it is.
Do you not know how that works...the Sebring has a Mitsubishi motor in it not the other way around...thats why the block is a 6G7x block...

Thats why it says Mitsubishi all over it...
Old January 14th, 2019, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g75_3g View Post
Do you not know how that works...the Sebring has a Mitsubishi motor in it not the other way around...thats why the block is a 6G7x block...

Thats why it says Mitsubishi all over it...
Mitsubishi driveline, Chrysler D platform, S-22. Sebring/Avenger/Eclipse

The DSM deal was over, but the trade partnership did not end.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 8th, 2019, 09:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Applejacked91 is an unknown quantity at this point
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
Index
Club4G.org Site Forums
New Members Forum
Applejacked91
Join: about 2 hours ago

about 1 hour ago #1
3g or 4g and how to choose based on what you really want from it
So i like evos ill start there i currently own a heavily modded 3g gs now back to my point i like both the 3g and the 4g for differant reasons ill start with why i like 4g then explain why i chose a 3g a 4g i thaught was bad ass i liked it i test drove both btw before buying also looked at the body weight of both neither r light but 3g is much lighter ther 4g i liked the sound of the 4g gt exhaust but felt it lack top end power i liked the seat the console setup i did not like the whole round space ship loom though also didnt like newr looking gauges felt it at enough gas to match evo8 gas milage so i drove the 3g n heres why i chose a 3g gs specifically its was lighter number one it sits slightly lower has a more agressive front end in my opinion and heres what i hated about my 3g it only came with 100 whp if that lol poop slow so i read and read about hp upgrades for 4 yrs before even buying a dumb intake kept said car in closed storage and saved money ill tell you what my total was to acheive my build later so as i read n saved i also called f &s motor sport to get detail on 3g engine they use one in there 6.87 second evo with an evo 8 crank evo 8 main studs evo 8 arp stud and evo 8 stock ecu they run long rods in it and make 1000 hp i didnt need 1000 hp only like3-500 so i got an entire parts list for a built 4g64 dohc that mean now the long put away 3g would wake up and be an evo well almost minus awd but thats ok plenty of fwd gst push 500 or more im a mechanic so i did all the work myself i used 2g rods 2g gst rod bearings evo 8 4g63-64 main bearing all king bearings arp evo 8 stud n mains fit like a glove torqued it three steps honed it myself broke it in last summer n got a tune done by me u have tatrix cable mad 315 hp first run after a 1500 mile break in im a 12 yr full time mechanice so i did a few extra miles for saft i currently have 2200 miles on her so heres facts ready i did all machining myself onhead valves etc nothing was spent other then parts heres the real cost of a full built high hp 3g gs 7500 bucks i can make up wards of 500 using lsd and all oem rebuilt trans with special shims shout out to shepard trans u know so think on that n maybe you want high hp or heavy turd its up to you god gave hands there no good if we dont use them i only paid 300 for the car it has all aem gauges tucked n out of sight for good reasonevo 8 ecu big front mount n runs great if any body wants a list on evo swapping a 3g im around
Applejacked91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2019, 09:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Applejacked91 is an unknown quantity at this point
This build will only cost sobody 4500 if you do all the work n didnt pay to get a rebuilt trans installed and get lsd if u get rebuilt trans and lsd but do all other work it will be 7500 about for upward of 500 hp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190508_205246_1557369380931.jpg (40.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190507_193601_1557369408430.jpg (38.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190507_142225_1557369442128.jpg (33.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190507_140925_1557369457607.jpg (28.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190425_175636_1557369562406.jpg (39.1 KB, 4 views)
Applejacked91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
buy, eclipse, want to buy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in