So I can't let ny 3g sit - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2000-2005 Eclipse (General 3G)

2000-2005 Eclipse (General 3G) General discussion and information about 2000~2005 (3rd Generation) Eclipse

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2018, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jeff
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
now4g is on a distinguished road
So I can't let my 3g sit anymore

So I'm enjoying tooling around in my 4g but just can't let my 3g sit. So I got some insurance, threw some tags on it and dressed it up tonight. Then had to take it out for a bit. Thinking I'll just keep it. Drive while doing mods to the 4g.

Last edited by now4g; May 17th, 2018 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Typo
now4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2018, 04:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired User

Natalen is on a distinguished road
chic photos
Natalen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, as good as my 3g looks, interior immaculate, engine runs perfect, BUT it is starting to show some signs of strut tower rust. Yikes! So I found this 2005 with 70k miles and will be doing a build for the next month. The 3g lives on.

Old May 4th, 2018, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yesterday, I went to check out (and buy) the 05 GTS (above) to swap the engine from my 03 GTS. It was missing Rims and Tires, Struts, Exhaust and Headlights which was stated in the listing. So I got on ebay and CL and bough the below items on the cheap.

Oh, and the SES light came on in the 07 GT. P0421 UGH! I thought the spark plug foulers fixed that O2 problem.
Old May 11th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Keeping busy I see. Would love a 3G GTS as a project car, or at least something to get me through weekdays lol

A tune would get rid of that cat code, along with other obvious benefits. Get in touch with Michael @ Fastworks for more info
Old May 17th, 2018, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Keeping busy I see. Would love a 3G GTS as a project car, or at least something to get me through weekdays lol

A tune would get rid of that cat code, along with other obvious benefits. Get in touch with Michael @ Fastworks for more info
Gonna gut the cats on the 4g soon and do some other mods before I get it tuned. The SES light is back out for now.

Yeah, the 3g project has kept me a bit more busy than I wanted it to for the past week. But I got it under control for now. Had to make room to put the 2005 GTS in the garage. And, I put the struts/shocks back on the 2003 GTS so it's back on the road for now.

Plans for now is to:

1) Degrease the 2005 GTS using "Purple Stuff". It seems to work as good as, or better than, most degreases out there.

2) Sand/wire brush any surface rust on the underside and in the engine bay compartment.

3) Apply "Rust Converter" on any sanded/bushed areas in #2 above.

I've seen some other 3g's that have the 4g 3.8L instead of using the GTS 3.0L. And I found a 3.8L on ebay for about $500. But I think I've talked myself out of doing this since I'm probably not gonna keep it when it's finished.

Last edited by now4g; May 17th, 2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old July 1st, 2018, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Haven't been on for a while. Been busy with other stuff, but I the last couple weekends we have;

ON THE 05 GTS:
1) Reconditioned the interior (looks close to new)
2) Prepped the engine bay with rust converter and paint in areas that had the minor surface rust (looks close to new but protected better than factory)
3) Undercoated the inside of the strut towers (will do the same on the 4g)

ON THE 03 GTS:
1) Pulled the 3.0 engine (Hanging from a cherry picker now). Only real hassle was the axles.
2) Now installing a new timing belt and components
3) New clutch arrived yesterday

I now say "we" because I decided to sell it to my daughter's boyfriend (at cost) so he's been doing some of the wrenching and bagging/tagging nuts, bolts and parts. Will post some pic's soon.

Looking forward to getting this done and back to mods to the 07 GT.

Last edited by now4g; July 1st, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old November 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Finally finished the 3g project I was working on.
1) Pulled the engine from the grey '03 GTS
2) Installed new clutch, tob, resurfaced flywheel, etc.
3) Installed new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc.
4) Dropped it into the silver '05 GTS

It turned out the previous owner did some mods to the '05 to make 600 hp. The ECU was modified. At one time it had second ECU piggybacked onto it and that was removed, the wiring was never put back to original. Had to take it back to Baltimore (JE Import Performance) to get the ECU wiring fixed. HUGE ADDITIONAL COST. Also had to put the wiring under the hood back together. Injector connectors, Air Intake, even the radiator fan wiring was changed. But it's done and back on the road. Future son-in-law (maybe) helped with the work and is driving it now at Penn State. A lot more work than originally planned. Will post some pics of the finished project later. She sounds like a swiss watch as Eclipses do when they're running right. Nothing special just a rust free, original '05 GTS with about 80k miles on it. Now I can get back to my 4g.

Tags
board, club, club4g, drive, eclipse, king, mods, picture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in