help with hid headlights - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tyler
Vehicle: 2012 Eclipse
bigbodyslim is on a distinguished road
help with hid headlights

i just got my 2012 4g eclipse in june and most everything has been running great. the other day the passenger headlight started flickering and then turned off.. i pulled over, turned the car off and on again, and it did the same thing once more. i'm taking out the battery tonight to charge it and rule out any possibility of a power issue, and i've disabled the daytime lights as well. it just turns dimmer and then orange and then off every time. i've been doing some research and what i've read points to the ballast or the wiring harness but i haven't he foggiest as to how to check either due to the fact i'm somewhat new to car repairs. thank you in advance and i look forward to becoming an active member of this thriving/helpful community!
bigbodyslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Welcome to to the club Tyler. So just for starters, you have the OEM HID projectors and not the stock halogen headlamps, correct?

My Ride Thread: https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 12th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Just here for the lights

Name: Alonzo
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
LonzBera has a spectacular aura about
^ yeah, if it's aftermarket you can just switch ballasts over & see if the problem follows the ballast. If it's the OEM HID headlights it might be a bit more work.

LonzBera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 13th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yep, I've got the HID. I'm not sure of their specifications though because they were already installed when I got the car.
Old October 13th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Worries

tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
Can you take a pic and we can more easily tell?

Old October 28th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

sorry for the late response! i've been all over town trying to get mechanics to look at it and have had numerous say they could do it but none succeed. i've come across the information of them being "lightning" or something and stock to mitsubishi by a smaller shop and then they said at mitsubishi how it'd be 200 for each headlight so i'm at a loss.. please help 4g community because i've scouted the internet for videos on this model eclipse and found none and i've been pulled over and given 4 warning so i'm not sure how much longer they'll tolerate it ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1477677087193.jpg (31.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg image_1477677854816.jpg (23.1 KB, 27 views)
Old October 28th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Worries

Really sorry to hear all the trouble these have put you through. The OEM HIDs have been nothing but fantastic for every member on here...that's probably why you're having a hard time finding troubleshooting on them because they rarely have problems! If it's just the bulbs flickering, I'm sure you can just buy replacements for them. You can go an aftermarket route for much cheaper than $200 per bulb!

If it's the OEM ballasts then that's a different problem...

Old October 28th, 2016, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

so what kind of headlight should i buy because they're all somewhat pricey? and is there a current guide to install it?
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

is it safe to order a used OEM headlight from ebay? it says they're tested and working and they're a third of the price of autozone
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

well i went ahead and ordered this so hopefully it works!
09 2010 2011 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE OEM D1S HID XENON HEADLIGHT BULB
Old November 7th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse GT
Wwwyzzrdd is on a distinguished road
Bit late to the game, but, shortly after buying my Eclipse with OEM HID's, my driver side bulb/ballast went bad.

The reason our HID's are so much more expensive (about $100 from an auto parts store) is because they specifically have the bulb and ballast in one package. So if you get the bulb you ordered and there's not a big silver box on the back of it, its not going to work. But the good news is, I replaced mine and haven't had a problem since! So it most likely is just a ballast problem, much like a fluorescent office light.
Wwwyzzrdd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 11th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Devin
Vehicle: 2009/Eclipse/GT
Latron is on a distinguished road
I had the same issue on mine and I just replaced the lamp. For future reference, when I bought mine I went to Advance Auto and the wanted around $96 for one so I got on Amazon on my phone and found them for $43 and they price matched them right there so I got 2 for less than one!
Latron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Andres
Vehicle: 2009 GT
SuperEvilnine will become famous soon enough
Is that bulb the same for a 2009 GT?

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
SuperEvilnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse GT
Wwwyzzrdd is on a distinguished road
Yeah, D1S is the "bulb" you need for the stock HID setup in the 2009 GT
Wwwyzzrdd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

kmbush56@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latron View Post
I had the same issue on mine and I just replaced the lamp. For future reference, when I bought mine I went to Advance Auto and the wanted around $96 for one so I got on Amazon on my phone and found them for $43 and they price matched them right there so I got 2 for less than one!
How do I get the square box attached to the bulb out???
kmbush56@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Davin
Vehicle: 2011/Eclipse/GT
Charmindx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How do I get the square box attached to the bulb out???
there is something around it you must twist to free it ill post pictures tommorow
Charmindx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 2nd, 2019, 08:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mits Man

Name: Izzy
Vehicle: 2010 Eclipse GS Sport A/T
yungbawss is on a distinguished road
I have stock HIDs too and my driver's side went out. Can someone point me towards a guide to swapping the stock HID bulbs? Can't seem to find one anywhere on this forum.

Update- I spent the past 20 minutes looking all over the internet for a guide on swapping the stock HID bulbs and can't find shit! Several people have asked this same question but never received a response. The HIDs bulbs have ballasts attached to them so I assume that the process to swap their bulbs is different... I'm hoping someone here has done it before and has some insight.

Last edited by yungbawss; October 2nd, 2019 at 09:19 AM.
yungbawss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 7th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mits Man

Name: Izzy
Vehicle: 2010 Eclipse GS Sport A/T
yungbawss is on a distinguished road
Arrow How To: Swap Stock HID Lights

Figured I'd write up a quick guide on swapping the stock HID lights since I couldn't find information on this ANYWHERE. Every single guide and service manual I found online only referenced swapping the halogen bulbs!!

The only "tool" you'll need for this is someone with small hands! There is no way around this unless you want to completely remove your headlight units. The HID lights are a lot different than the halogen bulbs and will require much more finesse to remove/replace.

1. First... Get your replacement D1S lights. After a lot of research I went with OSRAM Xenarc Cool Blue Intense. These are way brighter than the stock HIDs and have a sexy blue color. OSRAM lights are made in Germany and pretty much the best quality you can buy. I would advise buying these from somewhere reputable because there are a lot of fakes being sold online (mainly eBay).

2. Get inside your engine bay and remove the black sealant caps behind your headlights. They will twist off.

3. The diagram below (also attached) shows the inside of the HID headlights with the actual light unit removed. The next step is going to be to twist the tabbed rings that lock the HID light units into place. The tabs are circled in red on the diagram.... you'll need to feel them out with your hands and then twist them the opposite direction.

HID-Headlight-Diagram

4. Now you can remove the HID light units. Notice in the diagram the metal prongs that hold them in- these are very tight and it will require a lot of wiggling and force to remove the HIDs.

5. Once the HID light units are removed from the brackets you'll have to disconnect the power cable connected to the bottom of the units. The cable is circled in blue in the diagram. These cables lock in and took A LOT of force to remove. We ended up having to use pliers to yank them out!

6. Now connect the power cable to your new HID light units. CAREFULLY feed them through the hole circled in yellow in the diagram. It will take several tries to get it through, just feel it out gently so that you don't damage the lights. Once the lights are fed through the holes, push them with force until you hear the bracket click around the unit. Then, twist the tabbed rings the opposite direction to lock them in. Reattach the black sealant caps to the back of your headlights and you're good to go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID Headlight Diagram.jpg (47.3 KB, 4 views)
yungbawss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 25th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Don.vic is on a distinguished road
whats the temperature for the stock d1s bulbs???
Don.vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in