Got a used 07 SE! What maintenance to check on, and how to replace vent fins? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Imran
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse SE
imranh101 is on a distinguished road
Got a used 07 SE! What maintenance to check on, and how to replace vent fins?

So I picked this car up today at a great price and in great condition. It's an 07 SE Automatic w/ the Rockford Fosgate sound system.

First thing it has 150k on it, what maintanence should I do first and foremost?

Previous owner was very trustworthy and honest, said "The dealer I bought it form said they did plugs and some other stuff, but they never provided me any paperwork to prove it so take that as you will", so that stuff may be done a couple thousand miles ago, I will be checking the plugs to see if they look fairly new this weekend.

Guy planned on doing an oil change this weekend if it hadn't sold yet, already had filter and full synthetic oil. Threw them in with the purchase. I'll be doing the change this weekend.

Has a brand new interstate battery from CostCo, and the Windshield is also brand new, with paperwork to prove and a lifetime warranty!

So now I ask; what first things should I check on maintanence-wise? Will have a few hundred bucks after the purcahse, not stacked on cash, but enough to do some basics.

Other than that the car is in fantastic condition inside and out. Only two issues to note; one the two center air vents, the fins are a bit messed up and need replacing. A bit of early ebay and google searching didnt find much on how to replace them, and where to buy replacements.

The other issue is the maplights on the rearview mirror are not working. The mirror has power as the auto-tilt function is working, but the lights are not.

One other thing is that there is a fair amount of road noise when in the cabin, and I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to cut down on it. I figure the best way will be some sound deadening material like Damplifier but just wondering if there is any other way.

Otherwise I'm glad to join this community and love the car already!
imranh101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Welcome to the club

If the timing belt hasn't been done, it's overdue

Is it the 4 or 6 cyl? Depending on area and year it seems both were offered as the SE. if it's the 4 cyl, do the balance shaft belt too while you're in there.

For the center vents, you can actually just pull the radio faceplate straight off. The first 2 pictures in my guide here will show you how it comes off. It's really simple.

https://club4g.org/board/do-yourself-...ake-cable.html

The vents themselves are held in by 3 clips each. It's possible however that someone was playing around and just unclipped the blades from the arm. I've done that to mine before while it was sitting in my back seat doing other work. That $0 fix is worth looking into.

Road noise will be had depending on the tire selection due to our minimal sound insulation. This is all we have inside the doors

and when I had my dashboard out I don't recall any in there.

Check for cupping on the tires. That could cause excessive noise, and indicate a bad strut.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Daniel Beatty
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT/SE
4GECLIPSE27 will become famous soon enough
Welcome!

First question, you have an SE which stands for special edition, there are I4 and V6 versions of the SE, which drive-train do you have?

As for maintenance, things like spark plugs, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, CV axles, suspension bushings, brake rotors/pads, exhaust manifolds (V6), etc. will need replaced if not done already.

I have a 06 V6 and have done those things to mine thus far.

Some of the problems like the rear view mirror is actually a common problem for our cars and has to do with cracked solder joints. I haven't gotten to fixing mine yet, but there is a thread around the DIY section that shows what needs fixed. https://club4g.org/board/electronics/...irror-fix.html

One of my fins on my AC vents is also broken, but haven't had time to find another. Best option is to find one off a junker somewhere.

Dynamat in places of the car can reduce some vibrations, but is costly to do right in my opinion.

Other problems that our specific to our cars include:

1. The door handles can break at some point if used quite a bit. There are aluminum replacements that one of the members sells. 2006-2012 ECLIPSE MITSUBISHI PULL DOOR HANDLE | eBay

2. The gas cap sometimes gets corroded and fades so people either paint it or sand it and put clear coat on it. Or plasti-dip for easiness. https://club4g.org/board/maintenance/...ap-cancer.html

3. The interior dash at some point might start to raise because the glue has failed due to expansion and contraction from being heated and cooled. https://club4g.org/board/problem-repo...agra-dash.html

There are other things with this car as well, but every car has its quirks.

There is good information in the DIY sections for getting started fixing these cars. Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
4GECLIPSE27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 27th, 2016, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info! Didn't realize the SE came in both the I4 and V6, mine is the I4.

Will def look into fixing the solder joint for the maplights. I'm quite handy with a soldering iron so shouldn't be too hard for me. I did check Pick n Pull and not seeing any G4 eclipses, but oh well. I'll keep an eye on em to see if I get lucky.

And yea I thought about Dynamat-ing but like you said, stuff is super expensive so I dunno if I'm gonna go forward with it or not.

Def noticed the gas cap stuff on mine and will probs fix that as well.

Thanks again for all the info and I'm happy to have found a new home in this forum
Old December 27th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Brandon
Vehicle: 08 GT SE and 91 3kgt VR4
wingo171 is a jewel in the roughwingo171 is a jewel in the rough
I will be posting a parts car once I receive the vehicle in. A 2008 GT SE Auto. Front end impact breaking the bumper, lip, and driver side front suspension and headlight. Parts are coming
wingo171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingo171 View Post
I will be posting a parts car once I receive the vehicle in. A 2008 GT SE Auto. Front end impact breaking the bumper, lip, and driver side front suspension and headlight. Parts are coming
Awesome let me know how much you want for all 4 vents shipped once you get it, I'll take em!

Tags
automatic, battery, brand, brand new, buy, car, ebay, filter, fosgate, how to, life, noise, oil, oil change, plugs, power, rockford, rockford fosgate, sound, stuff, synthetic, synthetic oil, system, vents, warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in