Is this spoiler too obnoxious? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
MDG

Name: Matt
MDG is on a distinguished road
Is this spoiler too obnoxious?

Hey guys, so I recently picked up a spoiler I found on Craigslist for 50 bucks, and I thought it was an actual SE spoiler but after I got it home I think it's just a cheaper aftermarket one.

It looks like it was sanded and maybe primered so obviously it's gonna need paint which brings me to my first questions: should I try and paint it myself or pay a shop to do it? How crucial would it be to get actual Kalapana Black paint to match, or would it not matter that much? If I paid a shop to do it, roughly how much would that cost me? I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.

Question 2: I realize a rear spoiler on a FWD car is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine but would this look too rice-y? I suppose my car might look kinda rice-y as is. I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Personally I'm on the fence about it. Its also quite a bit bigger on the car than I was envisioning.

I'll post pics below. Excuse my ghetto spray can propping it up lol. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mitsu4thg

Name: Charles
Vehicle: 2011 eclipse gs sport
Charlesdcann is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDG View Post
Hey guys, so I recently picked up a spoiler I found on Craigslist for 50 bucks, and I thought it was an actual SE spoiler but after I got it home I think it's just a cheaper aftermarket one.

It looks like it was sanded and maybe primered so obviously it's gonna need paint which brings me to my first questions: should I try and paint it myself or pay a shop to do it? How crucial would it be to get actual Kalapana Black paint to match, or would it not matter that much? If I paid a shop to do it, roughly how much would that cost me? I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.

Question 2: I realize a rear spoiler on a FWD car is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine but would this look too rice-y? I suppose as-is my car might look kinda rice-y as is. I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Personally I'm on the fence about it. Its also quite a bit bigger on the car than I was envisioning.

I'll post pics below. Excuse my ghetto spray can propping it up lol. Thanks for looking.

Who cares what anyone else thinks. If you like it keep it dude.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Charlesdcann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
It isn't really to my taste, but honestly it's your car and it's going to take much more than that to turn a 263hp car into rice lol

Get some quotes from local shops to have it painted. Can't be too much I imagine

Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock

You've been misinformed, and it's a common myth and misunderstanding.

Spoilers do 100% the same thing on a FWD car as a RWD car. They disrupt the airflow (spoil) off the roof line preventing a low pressure pocket that gives lift and drag by shrinking the low pressure zone. Many are just for show, but some OEM wings do add noticeable fuel economy to the car when the body design is exceptionally poor, and stability is improved when there is a lot of rear end lift. It has actually been enough to alter some car's mileage ratings

Wings give a directional force depending on the angle of attack (downforce in cars, lift in airplanes). And in racing, downforce is needed at both ends of the car regardless of drivetrain setup. You want to keep things balanced so the mechanical grip from the front of the car with the extra weight is matched by the grip added by the air pushing down (additional downward energy without gaining mass) when using a rear wing, for an optimal setup. The Eclipse is front heavy, and a wing will bring it more in line to 50/50 if set up right for the track you're on. You don't see many (any?) successful racecars with a front end weight bias and no aero to counter it with a rear bias. It's a recipe for slow cornering speeds

You can ignore almost everything you learned about wings in school, shape isn't the major reason why airplanes get lift. It's all about angle of attack (the angle of the wing against the oncoming air mass) which creates a higher pressure pocket as well as drag. Fighter jets and stunt planes for example have symmetrically shaped wings which do not generate lift naturally at all. A flat car wing works on the same principal, and we alter angle of attack. The Bernoulli principal applies greatly to the car body's shape, however, in that a car naturally has high pressure under it (slow air, lots of turbulence), and creates a low pressure zone above it (smoother flowing air, fast). To create additional downforce without causing drag, we need to accelerate the air under the car's body to lower the pressure, which gives more downforce

But on topic to use it or not: If you like it, go for it. It might look cool in the same colour as your badging on the rear

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Turbo 4g In Colorado

Name: David
Vehicle: 09/Eclipse GS/Twincharged
DeAtHsWhIpLaSh will become famous soon enough
Looks good to me....To bring it all together add a rear diffuser or body kit to make everything look aggressive.
DeAtHsWhIpLaSh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Wouldn't an aggressive rear wing cause front end push (understeer) in hard corners?
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Wouldn't an aggressive rear wing cause front end push (understeer) in hard corners?
Yep, if you go too aggressive of course. It'll do that in a rwd car too

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
MDG

Alright, after reading your replies I've decided I'm gonna go for it. Thank you all for your input, especially Sabertooth^2 for that in-depth explanation, that's really interesting. I'll be sure to update you guys on this, though it might be a while.

This is a really great community and I'm lucky to be a part of it! Thanks again

Old January 23rd, 2018, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS SE
fhadso will become famous soon enough
I'm probably the one guy who thinks it's ugly as sin, then. It doesn't go with the car. It looks like it belongs on an older, bigger sports car. Even if it's painted, it's still too big.

While yes it does have a function, but is there a noticeable difference? Probably not. I feel like the added weight would negate any positive gains.

Just my two cents. I'm sure everyone else disagrees.
fhadso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Myles
Jap*Vette is on a distinguished road
I like it...give it a paint job and it'll be good 👍
Jap*Vette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 23rd, 2018, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mitsu4thg

Name: Charles
Vehicle: 2011 eclipse gs sport
Charlesdcann is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhadso View Post
I'm probably the one guy who thinks it's ugly as sin, then. It doesn't go with the car. It looks like it belongs on an older, bigger sports car. Even if it's painted, it's still too big.

While yes it does have a function, but is there a noticeable difference? Probably not. I feel like the added weight would negate any positive gains.

Just my two cents. I'm sure everyone else disagrees.
Everyone has there own opinions, I personally don't see the gains on having one for a car of our style, but like the aesthetic of some on ours. Depends on the spoiler I guess also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Charlesdcann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2018, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Jim
Vehicle: 2006 GT 6MT
MarionCobretti has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jap*Vette View Post
I like it...give it a paint job and it'll be good 👍
This! Spray the thing black and bolt it on!
Old January 25th, 2018, 09:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Myles
Jap*Vette is on a distinguished road
My buddy had the same one on his 3g...it's a V_line spoiler if I'm not mistaken. Looked pretty good on his too.
Jap*Vette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 29th, 2018, 01:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Financial Wizard

Name: Nick
Nick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond reputeNick has a reputation beyond repute
Is it going to sit flush on the trunk? One side looks like the mount is not sitting flush but its hard to tell?
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 29th, 2018, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
MDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Is it going to sit flush on the trunk? One side looks like the mount is not sitting flush but its hard to tell?
I think it will, I just had it propped up on something that wasn't quite the right height. It's fairly flexible either way

Old March 24th, 2018, 07:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Name: natty
escapefate will become famous soon enough
I think it can pass for okay. Would like to see it painted.

Sun and Sound Package.
escapefate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2018, 07:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Jeff
now4g is on a distinguished road
Did you paint it yet?

If I wanted it the same color as the car, I would have it painted at a body shop where they could match the paint exactly. Too many times I've seen paint just a shade off and my eyes go directly to that.

I agree with Saber "It might look cool in the same colour as your badging on the rear". Then you don't have to worry about matching the paint to the car, and you could also add some black detailing, striping or decals to it.

Just my thoughts.
now4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2018, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Blue Collar Genius

Name: Dane
Vehicle: '07 GT, Ultra Red
Danester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond reputeDanester has a reputation beyond repute
the Kalapana black is a must.
personally think its a bit tall, but if painted correctly it should look nice. dont worry too much about the aspects of what the wing does, unless you're actually racing it....legally.
an aggressive downforce wing will also hit your fuel consumption on long trips, so i'd leave it of if you're driving cross country an awful lot. otherwise you're not usually driving fast enough to use the wing properly anyways.

so if you think it looks nice, do it.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 10:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Jayannon is on a distinguished road
I think it looks good in the last two pictures , looks tall straight on from the back , but I concur it would look awesome in whatever color your badging is , love that color !
Jayannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2020, 05:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayannon View Post
I think it looks good in the last two pictures , looks tall straight on from the back , but I concur it would look awesome in whatever color your badging is , love that color !
Bruh, you running around reviving 2.5 year old posts?

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k | Tires-159k | Soft Top-160k

Future Work: ???

Last Oil Change-159,030 (7/5/2020)
Valvoline 5w20 Full Synthetic + STP S2808XL
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2020, 11:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Lomax002 is on a distinguished road
I just bought an 07 and he took the wing off I need help getting it back on lol
Lomax002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 1st, 2020, 11:26 AM   #22 (permalink)

Jayannon is on a distinguished road
Pretty much ! Spend far too much time on here and a lot of the stuff I'm searching seems to be old news 😞
Jayannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aftermarket, black, car, cost, door, kalapana, lol, paint, pics, questions, qui, rear, shop, spoiler, spray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in