Dropping Gas Tank - 2006 4G GT-P - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Mike
BlueRage is on a distinguished road
Dropping Gas Tank - 2006 4G GT-P

Anyone done it before? I have a rusted fuel filler neck and prepared for tank inlet to be rusted as well. Hoping not, but prepared for the worst.

Last edited by BlueRage; November 27th, 2018 at 06:21 PM.
BlueRage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2018, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
NamelessFoe will become famous soon enough
99.99% positive that you have to drop the exhaust. Than disconnect the Evap system and the fuel pump before you remove the straps. I'm planning on going to Fuel Cell next year. Let me know if you come across any surprises.
NamelessFoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 2nd, 2018, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessFoe View Post
99.99% positive that you have to drop the exhaust. Than disconnect the Evap system and the fuel pump before you remove the straps. I'm planning on going to Fuel Cell next year. Let me know if you come across any surprises.
I've seen the fuel filler neck done before, but that was on a 3G. The filler necks didn't improve any into the 4G. I'm just hoping the cancer hasn't spread to the tank as well. Mitsubishi in Canada = rust. Will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Old November 14th, 2018, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Josh
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
Joshinator99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRage View Post
I've seen the fuel filler neck done before, but that was on a 3G. The filler necks didn't improve any into the 4G. I'm just hoping the cancer hasn't spread to the tank as well. Mitsubishi in Canada = rust. Will let you know how it goes.

Just wondering how this went? We went to get gas in our 06 after doing a ton of work over the past few months, and after a minute of filling gas appeared on the ground. I’m 99% certain the fuel filler pipes are shot, just wondering how bad they are to change...
Joshinator99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2018, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Just wondering how this went? We went to get gas in our 06 after doing a ton of work over the past few months, and after a minute of filling gas appeared on the ground. I’m 99% certain the fuel filler pipes are shot, just wondering how bad they are to change...
There's a video on YouTube showing a 3G Eclipse with a rusted out fuel filler neck here:

https://youtu.be/oXuPHoZI3pU

The 4G is relatively the same however when going to change it I found that where the connection is from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank, there are two 3/8" outlets coming out of the tank...both were rusted right off. As such, I had to get a new tank from an auto wrecker.

The fuel filler neck part number is FN911 (Spectra) and can be found on eBay for ~ $200. Jack the car up and reach towards the hoses that connect to the gas tank from the fuel filler neck and you might find those vent outlets rusted off as well.

Hope this helps.

Old November 15th, 2018, 06:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
There's a video on YouTube showing a 3G Eclipse with a rusted out fuel filler neck here:

The 4G is relatively the same however when going to change it I found that where the connection is from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank, there are two 3/8" outlets coming out of the tank...both were rusted right off. As such, I had to get a new tank from an auto wrecker.

The fuel filler neck part number is FN911 (Spectra) and can be found on eBay for ~ $200. Jack the car up and reach towards the hoses that connect to the gas tank from the fuel filler neck and you might find those vent outlets rusted off as well.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful! Thanks!

Was the Spectra one complete? Factory diagram shows a small hose near the top with a check valve. The Spectra one is about $100 cheaper than the factory setup, so if you had good luck with it then that is what I’ll do too.
Old November 15th, 2018, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Guess i'll be pushing my fuel cell up on the things to do next list. You guys made me look at mine and it's not far behind yours.
Old November 15th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Very helpful! Thanks!

Was the Spectra one complete? Factory diagram shows a small hose near the top with a check valve. The Spectra one is about $100 cheaper than the factory setup, so if you had good luck with it then that is what I’ll do too.
The spectra looks complete. I was waiting for the straps to arrive before doing the job. I found a decent tank at an auto wrecker. Make sure after you put the sender and fuel pump in and raise the tank that you spray some Fluid Film or Rust Check or rubberized undercoating so you don't have the problem again.

Are you guys in Canada or the northern US? It seems that certain parts of these cars can't handle what winter throws at them. I just did my wife's rear brakes and the backing plates fell off her car in a pile of rust...yet the body and undercarriage are mint. Usually cars rust evenly, with these cars, only certain parts rust and rust badly.

Old November 16th, 2018, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

North East here. My rear end is pretty rusted up. Front is expected rust for 13 years old. Undercarriage is decent condition for age. Pretty sure the zinc coating they use wears off after a few years.
Old November 26th, 2018, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Hope this helps.

So, deja vu here on the tank. I removed the old (and completely obliterated) fuel filler pipes, and the two 3/8 vent lines fell out of the fuel tank... so I just ordered a new OEM fuel tank and straps. Have you changed your tank yet? Just trying to get an idea of what I’m in for... lol
Old November 26th, 2018, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
So, deja vu here on the tank. I removed the old (and completely obliterated) fuel filler pipes, and the two 3/8 vent lines fell out of the fuel tank... so I just ordered a new OEM fuel tank and straps. Have you changed your tank yet? Just trying to get an idea of what I’m in for... lol
Are you in Canada? I replaced mine with a the Spectra FN911 fuel filler neck and a really good auto wrecker gas tank from the southern US. Total cost for parts was $500 Drop the exhaust. Drop the tank. Exchange the sending unit and fuel pump. Disconnect them from inside the car under the mat...there are access doors. Make sure you have a variety of hose clamps on hand (both fuel line size and radiator hose). And be prepared for a lot of cursing and swearing...it's a pig of a job.

Old November 26th, 2018, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you in Canada? I replaced mine with a the Spectra FN911 fuel filler neck and a really good auto wrecker gas tank from the southern US. Total cost for parts was $500 Drop the exhaust. Drop the tank. Exchange the sending unit and fuel pump. Disconnect them from inside the car under the mat...there are access doors. Make sure you have a variety of hose clamps on hand (both fuel line size and radiator hose). And be prepared for a lot of cursing and swearing...it's a pig of a job.

Almost...Massachusetts. Lol

Spectra is on backorder for the filler pipes along with everyone else. But my local dealer has been awesome, and they found an OEM set at another dealer and was able to get them for me. Tank is $450 new so I figured that wasn’t bad. So I ordered that, new brackets, and new hoses. Guess I will give this a try. What looks crappy is you cannot see where the hoses meet the tank...?
Old November 26th, 2018, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Almost...Massachusetts. Lol

Spectra is on backorder for the filler pipes along with everyone else. But my local dealer has been awesome, and they found an OEM set at another dealer and was able to get them for me. Tank is $450 new so I figured that wasn’t bad. So I ordered that, new brackets, and new hoses. Guess I will give this a try. What looks crappy is you cannot see where the hoses meet the tank...?
Those are really good prices! You can access the fuel pump and sending unit from inside the car...two panels underneath the rug in the hatch. Or let the tank down slowly and you'll get a full view of them. Make sure you run the tank close to empty. If you have new hoses, you can cut the old ones off with a blade. It really is a job that requires a hoist.

Old November 27th, 2018, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

just food for thought. Besides the fact I can't believe Mitsu used rubber hoses under there. If the filler is rusting, couldn't you drop the tank clean it up and re-weld the neck back on? Awful amount of money for a tin can.
Old November 27th, 2018, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessFoe View Post
just food for thought. Besides the fact I can't believe Mitsu used rubber hoses under there. If the filler is rusting, couldn't you drop the tank clean it up and re-weld the neck back on? Awful amount of money for a tin can.
The filler neck and the tank are two separate parts separated by fuel resistant rubber hose. Most manufacturers use the same method. The fuel filler neck contains an array of vent hoses, some of which go to the tank and the others to the canister purge solenoid and charcoal canister. There are two inlets on the gas tank that are rusting right off...meaning they are corroded beyond recognition and have fallen right off the tank. You'll smell fumes inside the car and you'll have an evap code set as well as the system sees the missing pressure. I guess it's possible to fabricate and weld new inlets if you are talented enough and have experience welding gas tanks and purging them of any volatile fumes.

Old November 27th, 2018, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
The filler neck and the tank are two separate parts separated by fuel resistant rubber hose. Most manufacturers use the same method. The fuel filler neck contains an array of vent hoses, some of which go to the tank and the others to the canister purge solenoid and charcoal canister. There are two inlets on the gas tank that are rusting right off...meaning they are corroded beyond recognition and have fallen right off the tank. You'll smell fumes inside the car and you'll have an evap code set as well as the system sees the missing pressure. I guess it's possible to fabricate and weld new inlets if you are talented enough and have experience welding gas tanks and purging them of any volatile fumes.

Yep, exactly right. Given how thin the gas tank metal is, it would be a genuine pain to try to weld it. And even if you did, I’m sure other rust spots would pop through down the road. New tank eliminates that problem for years to come.
Old November 27th, 2018, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

gotcha, New to playing with fuel systems. I guess the rubber is there to help with vibration and tank movement.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

06gtwv is on a distinguished road
On a nice pretty day my 1 hour job turns into a hunt for a fuel tank, same story as everyone. Damn the vent holes! Can I run with out them for now? Does anyone know where to get a cheap gas tank? I've searched online to the point that I honestly believe the internet has no clue a 4g exists... every search takes me to 00-05 parts.. I found them Mitsubishi direct but that's 500 dollars. Dorman and other companies make tanks but not for us?!
06gtwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2020, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gtwv View Post
On a nice pretty day my 1 hour job turns into a hunt for a fuel tank, same story as everyone. Damn the vent holes! Can I run with out them for now? Does anyone know where to get a cheap gas tank? I've searched online to the point that I honestly believe the internet has no clue a 4g exists... every search takes me to 00-05 parts.. I found them Mitsubishi direct but that's 500 dollars. Dorman and other companies make tanks but not for us?!
Sorry I missed this post. Auto wreckers will sell you a tank for $200 or so. Obviously, make sure the tank is in good condition and spray it regularly with Rustcheck or Fluid film.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry I missed this post. Auto wreckers will sell you a tank for $200 or so. Obviously, make sure the tank is in good condition and spray it regularly with Rustcheck or Fluid film.

That may be the only route at this point. In early 2019, my sons ‘06 Eclipse needed a fuel tank so I bought it OEM from our local dealer. We were told it was the last OEM tank in the country...!
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Quote:

That may be the only route at this point. In early 2019, my sons ‘06 Eclipse needed a fuel tank so I bought it OEM from our local dealer. We were told it was the last OEM tank in the country...!
I think I need one for my 06, it leaks when I fill it up full... and have large evap leak
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 19th, 2020, 06:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
I think I need one for my 06, it leaks when I fill it up full... and have large evap leak
Most likely. We had a huge hole in the filler pipe that funnels gas from the fill neck to the tank. The factory put a big steel shield there to protect the filler pipe and evap lines, but it ends up holding sand/salt/crud against the filler pipe, rotting it out. When I went to change the filler pipe assembly (comes with the filler neck and a few evap lines), the connections into the fuel tank fell apart...!
Old March 19th, 2020, 08:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
Most likely. We had a huge hole in the filler pipe that funnels gas from the fill neck to the tank. The factory put a big steel shield there to protect the filler pipe and evap lines, but it ends up holding sand/salt/crud against the filler pipe, rotting it out. When I went to change the filler pipe assembly (comes with the filler neck and a few evap lines), the connections into the fuel tank fell apart...!
Hmm yeah I’ve heard that before
But mine literally leaks out of the top of the tank
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006, 4g gt, dropped, exhaust, fuel, gas, htc, mechanic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in