Doing some internal work on my eclipse, need some input - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2019, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Braheem
Grumpy Wolf is on a distinguished road
Doing some internal work on my eclipse, need some input

So I live in Oregon and like to visit the coast a lot and camp, but as probably every one knows it rains a bit here so I really don't like pitching a tent. Heres what I would like to do, since the back of the eclipse has a TON of room when the seats are down I was thinking of converting it into a bed area. A few things need to happen first though and this is where I need some help.

1. The sub woofer needs to go to make room

I am not a huge audiophile and I'm currently using a cheap android stereo so I really don't care too much about perfect audio. Right now I'm using the Axxess Mito wiring harness to connect to the stock amp. I would prefer to dump that harness cause it's a peice of junk and I've already had 2 die on me (right after the warranty expired both times). I've wanted to get another amp in the past, but the problem is where can you put it? There doesn't seem to be any clearance under the seat. I also remember at one point I thought it was in the passanger door, or in that area, but can't find any info on it now. Is there a aftermarket one that will fit there? Also, as I said, I'm not an audiophile, I don't need to blow out windows or shake the road with bass, just something average, so something cheap will work fine.

2. The support beam

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm assuming the bar that goes across under the sub is for support? So I can't remove it? Just trying to find a way to flatten out that area so I can lie down.

I'm sure I will have more questions, but I'll start here, thanks!
Grumpy Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2019, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

That bent area is the back is where the structure comes from. You could make a raised floor above it to smooth the whole section from the back seats to the trunk out though. Plywood and a jigsaw would make quick work of that, then add in some supports wherever you need so it's not saggy

I've only hung out in the trunk once, it was at a drive in movie theatre, and we just loaded the car with pillows and blankets. Still awful

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2019, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good to know, thanks, any idea about the AMP? Regardless I want to replace the thing because I'm tired of dealing with that adapter that keeps breaking. Also the sub just takes up too much room in the back.

Old September 11th, 2019, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Stock amp is behind the paneling in the passenger footwell area I believe.

I'm not really a sound guy though. You could probably get yourself a slim amp and mount it somewhere else. Could put it in the spare tire area maybe?

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Tee
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
Miss BttrSctch is on a distinguished road
Have you looked online for woofers made specifically for the under seat? I don't know the clearance under there; but, I've seen some really narrow-looking woofers! Maybe you should look into cutting an opening under there to house a woofer that is slightly too thick to slide under there. If you are able to get a woofer under there, I'd look into mounting the amp behind hour seat (on the "wall" in the passenger legroom area). Hope this helps, some!
My son is a cub scout, we go camping 🙄 and I HATE having to pitch a tent! PLEASE let us know what you come up with, good luck!
Miss BttrSctch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss BttrSctch View Post
Have you looked online for woofers made specifically for the under seat? I don't know the clearance under there; but, I've seen some really narrow-looking woofers! Maybe you should look into cutting an opening under there to house a woofer that is slightly too thick to slide under there. If you are able to get a woofer under there, I'd look into mounting the amp behind hour seat (on the "wall" in the passenger legroom area). Hope this helps, some!
My son is a cub scout, we go camping 🙄 and I HATE having to pitch a tent! PLEASE let us know what you come up with, good luck!
There is NO room under the seat, I just had to unbolt the seats and remove them just to get to a micro sd card under the seat because you can't put your hand even under it.

I was actually a boyscout lol, I have done enough tent camping in this life and it might still be an option, but I need to remove the sub first to see if their is room, plus find an amp that will work. Unfortunatly I will have to put it on hold since my check engine light came on
Old September 20th, 2019, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I wonder how a canvas tent hung off the trunk lid would go over with an air mattress tossed in the back propped up at the rear by who cares what, and seats folded down for extra height

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Tags
aftermarket, art, axxess, back, bar, clearance, coast, door, eclipse, fit, flat, harness, king, live, mito, problem, question, questions, remove, road, seats, stock, warranty, wiring, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in