4G Electrics Flickering - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

daja63 is on a distinguished road
4G Electrics Flickering

Have a 2012 (final month of manufacture) GL Sport 2.4l Auto that has a very strage electrical issue. The battery warning light starts to flicker within minutes of driving. The whole dash, lights, CD player, everything will flicker, sometimes all going out for a second, sometimes will settle down during driving and be fine for a few minutes. I have replaced the Alternator, the battery and starter. An electric voltage tester shows voltages to be erratic between 12-18volts. Checked wires, no shorting or bad connections I can find. The car never seems affected in how it drives, just worried about blowing all my lights. Been like this for 7 months, the problem never goes away.

Do I have a bad ECU?

D.J.

Last edited by daja63; January 15th, 2020 at 12:02 AM.
daja63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2020, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
Technically, the battery light isn't ONLY related to the battery, it tells you that you have an electrical issue, which the ECU could cause. It could also be the voltage regulator, which tells the alternator to charge or not charge the battery. I'm not entirely sure if there is a voltage regulator on our vehicles, but if it doesn't, I would assume it's the ECU's job to tell the alternator to charge or not.

I'm thinking pcfreak4 would know a decent amount about this, as he's pretty knowledgeable on electrical stuff like this.

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k

Future Work (12/10/2019): Replace Convertible Top

Last Oil Change-153,000
Valvoline 5w30 Full Synthetic + Bosch Oil Filter
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2020, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlackSunday View Post
Technically, the battery light isn't ONLY related to the battery, it tells you that you have an electrical issue, which the ECU could cause. It could also be the voltage regulator, which tells the alternator to charge or not charge the battery. I'm not entirely sure if there is a voltage regulator on our vehicles, but if it doesn't, I would assume it's the ECU's job to tell the alternator to charge or not.

I'm thinking pcfreak4 would know a decent amount about this, as he's pretty knowledgeable on electrical stuff like this.
Haha thanks for the reference

Yes he’s correct in that the battery light is actually related not to the battery at all really, it’s a malfunction indicator telling you something is wrong with the “charging system” of the car, hence the alternator

Without doing further research through the FSM right now I want to say that the voltage regulator is inside the Alternator

Did you get a new or refurbished Alternator? What brand?

Right now I want to say that you got a bad alternator still or a bad ground, check all the major grounds
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 15th, 2020, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock

The voltage regulator is in fact on the alternator, so it has been replaced. Bad wiring off the alternator, such as a corroded, loose, or cracked shielding could cause this, or even just corrosion on the connection to the battery posts or at the chassis ground the battery connects to

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 15th, 2020, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks all for the info, the fault was there on the previous original factory alternator, I did purchase a refurb, I just didn't think it likely two alternators could have same defect, although stranger things have happened to me. I checked the wiring and grounding and battery terminals, all the obvious things, since the car is like-new condition, I concluded the only thing left was the ECU. But in case the odds are that way, I will replace with a 3rd alternator.

Last edited by daja63; January 15th, 2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old January 15th, 2020, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

You could check what the ECU voltage is, and compare it to the actual system voltage. If the ECU thinks the voltage is low, it'll request more.

Otherwise, probably not ECU. I can't think of a single example of one of these ECUs failing either without some form of trauma, and even then, they usually survive a crash

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old January 15th, 2020, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds good, thank you for the advise, I will try that. It's good to know that it probably isn't the ECU.
Old January 15th, 2020, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it is the ECU, I have read I will need to aquire a MUTIII device and save the setup to then upload into a replacement. Hopefully that won't be necessary

Thanks!
Old January 15th, 2020, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

ECUflash would probably be the way to go, but people such as Hackish on here can get definition files and do recoveries.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old January 15th, 2020, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

My car was in a crash in the corner that the ECU sits on and it still works perfectly

I’d say you bought a bum alternator, get a good brand NEW one not remanufactured
Old January 16th, 2020, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Reman is fine usually. It's not complex at all to rebuild an alternator. They are one of the most basic things in the entire car. A brand new cheap one is usually worse than a quality rebuild

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old January 16th, 2020, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

I meant buy a brand new good one
Old January 18th, 2020, 12:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
F.N.G.

Name: Steve
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Steve_06_Ark will become famous soon enough
Have you considered the dimmer knob on the left side of the dash? It's basically a potentiometer, so it could definitely cause intermittent things like you're describing (although I have to say, I can't imagine it would cause your check engine light to come on). Perhaps that's a separate issue? Have you read the codes to see if it's throwing anything specific?
If you read my post last month (ended up being a bad battery) my car did crazy stuff with lights when the computer wasn't getting enough juice from a failing cell.

Just my 2 cents. Don't know if it's worth checking out, but that little knob would be a very cheap fix if it's indeed bad.

Good luck. Electrical problems are so terrible to deal with.
Steve_06_Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Basically Stock

The dimmer switch will never make alternate alternator voltage hit 18v. That's usually a voltage regulator in the alternator that failed, but he's already replaced his. Not a bad guess otherwise. He also has a new battery

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old January 18th, 2020, 05:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
NamelessFoe will become famous soon enough
Usually intermittent flickering would tell me it's a loose or corroded ground somewhere. If you check the voltage at the fuses you should be able to find what circuit is having the issue.
NamelessFoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2020, 02:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessFoe View Post
Usually intermittent flickering would tell me it's a loose or corroded ground somewhere. If you check the voltage at the fuses you should be able to find what circuit is having the issue.
I took the 'flickering' as an increase in voltage, which wouldn't be a failure to provide ENOUGH voltage, but a failure to provide information on how much is enough. It does make sense why this happens with a variable 12v-18v system reading.

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k

Last Oil Change-153,000

Last edited by iBlackSunday; January 18th, 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old January 20th, 2020, 12:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Checked the usual fuse box voltages and the system is definitely too high on it's charging. Sometimes the entire dash illumination, radio, everything cut's out for a second, tire warning, engine light, everything flags a proplem for a few miniutes. Stopping, restarting tends to clear for a while. Mostly, when accellerating it triggers the issue, plus the headlights are flicking high low all the time. The alternator regulator does seem the likeliest cause. Waiting for delivery of a new one.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old January 26th, 2020, 06:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

FIXED!!

It was the Alternator.

So when I replaced the defective alternator with another Alternator and the fault was still there, I spend 6 months trying to find a bad connecition. Turns out I had two defective Alternators with the exact same defect... what are the odds. So the original replacement was a refurb. The second replacement was brand new, resulting in the problems going away.

I wlll never purchase a refurb Alternator again.
Old January 26th, 2020, 07:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daja63 View Post
FIXED!!

It was the Alternator.

So when I replaced the defective alternator with another Alternator and the fault was still there, I spend 6 months trying to find a bad connecition. Turns out I had two defective Alternators with the exact same defect... what are the odds. So the original replacement was a refurb. The second replacement was brand new, resulting in the problems going away.

I wlll never purchase a refurb Alternator again.
Like I said from the beginning haha

Well anyway, glad it is fixed now
Old January 26th, 2020, 07:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Yes sir!

Thank you.
Old January 26th, 2020, 07:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, I think I'm 3/3 so far, lol. Glad you got it fixed. Some things don't seem like they could be the problem, but usually are. Damn, TWO bad alternators. That's pretty shitty.

Last Oil Change-153,000
Old January 26th, 2020, 11:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Stranger things have happened, I would never have purchased a 3rd alternator and fixed the problem without coming to this forum and taking advise. I tend not to take advise. However, you guys are great and saved me the pain and expense of fitting a new ECU, only to have found the fault still there. So thank you. I hopefully can pay it forward at some point on this site.

Last edited by daja63; January 26th, 2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old January 27th, 2020, 08:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Spoke too soon. Back to original problem, this time Flickering with no start. Car drove fine for couple of trips with new alternator, no battery light, no issues. Then this morning after dropping kids to school, went to go to work and everything going crazy when turn on, radio cutting in/out, door locka on/off rapidly, fan on/off rapidly, dash lights on/off.

3rd Alternator, no loose wires, no fuses gone, yet goes crazy.. surely has to be ECU. Now the car won't start, battery reads charged.
Old January 28th, 2020, 12:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would definitely go with the ECU. At this point, I'm wondering if the bad alternator previously DID mess with the ECU and this could be the reason. I'm not really sure about anything else. You've replaced the alternator 3 times now with no fix, but our cars do have a really rough time with electrical. Maybe somebody around you has a ECU that you could swap and test.

Are ECU's just swap-able? I've heard you need to program them for your car, specifically for the key fob. Idk much about the ECU's of our cars. Electrical has never been my strong suit.

Last Oil Change-153,000
Old January 29th, 2020, 01:34 PM   #26 (permalink)

Thanks, I did purchase an ECU (matching the exact model code) months back. From what I understand, the VIN is embedded in the firmware, so I think I have to save some code from the existing and transfer to replacement. I have no issue with the technical, only finding the correct information before messing up my car.

Before I go down that path, the symptoms of 3 alternators do tell something.

Alternator 1 (original) - Battery Light Flickers and no charge of Battery

Alternator 2 (Reman) - Battery Light Flickers, plus dash and all electrical cutting in/out, but Battery Charges, albeit overcharging as fluctuates between 12v-19v output

Alternator 3 (New) - No flickering while running, no issues, runs great, but not charging battery. Any attempt to start after a run, all electrics click on/off. But probably due to depleated battery.

The odd thing is Alternator #2 which has the worst symptoms while driving, charges the battery and allows me to drive the car, but even the headlamps flicker whilst doing so.

To me it looks like the charging circuit prefers overcharging to work.
Old February 6th, 2020, 11:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

SOLVED!!!

The Battery terminal clamps where breaking down in conductivity. They looked clean, voltage checked, but weren't passing the necessary current causing the all electrical apparatus to cut in/out. After filing the clamps, everything came to life and happy.

Basically the new alternator was doing it's job, the battery healthy, but the charge wasn't making good contact to battery. Never seen clean terminals and clamps not make a connection. This issue appeared exactly at the time I replaced the defective alternator with a good one, so it appeared the alternator was my 3rd defective.
Old February 7th, 2020, 01:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My last car actually had this issue, but the problem was the connection from the wire to the connector and not the connector to the battery. It simply didn't even allow the car to start. Strange this caused all those other issues. I'm actually shocked that this is what it was. Good thing you figured it out, electrical problems tend to be a major reason people get rid of certain cars.

Last Oil Change-153,000
Old February 10th, 2020, 12:47 PM   #29 (permalink)

Interesting similar fault. The other issues in my case were due to the fact that I had a combination of intermittent battery connection in tandem with two defective alternators in row. 2 faults, I like to problem solve 1, which is what happened after the 3rd Alternator actually worked. Scan tools/12v battery testers passed as ok, so it was more art fixing.

Tags
2.4l, 2012, alternator, auto, bad, battery, cd player, dash, ecu, electrical, issue, light, lights, shows, starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in