I have a question Common 06 GS 2.4 Problems - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2020, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

KillerDonuts27 is on a distinguished road
Common 06 GS 2.4 Problems

As the title suggests, I'm looking to purchase an Eclipse and out of the ones that I have found the 2006 Eclipse GS 2.4l 4-cyl with 114k miles is my favorite. Im pretty handy with my tools for minor issues and I know that repairs for any car can get expensive (trust me, I own an Audi that needs an Oil Cooler pipe which is $9 and the labor is over $3,000). Im looking for a fun summer car and getting my Audi fixed so that it can be my winter car. Just loooking for common problems and what to inspect when going to purchase a car. I realize this is the first year of gen 4 so I'm expecting a lot of problems but it's always good to know before buying. Thanks in advance.
KillerDonuts27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2020, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

1: Timing belt changed. It's the #1 killer of these cars
2: The dash vinyl pad peals in hot environments (or just hot summers). You'll notice it shrinking and eventually lifting, most prominently at the top of the pad
3: 2006-2008 are prone to having rocks hit the AC condenser, causing leaks
4: The auto trans are plagued with mysterious issues with seemingly no consistency, aside from slipping clutch bands being common from ones that have been flushed without the bands being replaced
5: The manual synchros tend to begin to die around 100,000 miles. Not a big deal. Grindy shifts at high RPM, made better with stiffer shifter bushings
6: Shift cable bushings seize up. You can remove them, sand them, and grease to fix, but it'll cause a sticky shift lever on manuals when seized (shifter won't return to center)
7: Auto dimming mirrors tend to have the solder joints inside crack. They can be fixed, but will cause a rattle and non functioning auto dimmer and mirror lights
8: Leather seats tear (always do on everything eventually)
9: Convertible tops have issues with the motors or hydraulics or something. I'm not a convertible guy, but it seems semi common.

I'm getting pretty abstract... They're a pretty mechanically solid car. Definitely one of the nicest to work on (the GS, NOT the GT)

I have also felt the Audi pain. My TT is my daily, and to do the clutch, I pull the motor. I had the flywheel bolts back out twice. While in there, I did a built block. Audi stuff is a pain from the factory, but it gets better once you start redoing it all

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; February 5th, 2020 at 09:57 PM.
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2020, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
1: Timing belt changed. It's the #1 killer of these cars
2: The dash vinyl pad peals in hot environments (or just hot summers). You'll notice it shrinking and eventually lifting, most prominently at the top of the pad
3: 2006-2008 are prone to having rocks hit the AC condenser, causing leaks
4: The auto trans are plagued with mysterious issues with seemingly no consistency, aside from slipping clutch bands being common from ones that have been flushed without the bands being replaced
5: The manual synchros tend to begin to die around 100,000 miles. Not a big deal. Grindy shifts at high RPM, made better with stiffer shifter bushings
6: Shift cable bushings seize up. You can remove them, sand them, and grease to fix, but it'll cause a sticky shift lever on manuals when seized (shifter won't return to center)
7: Auto dimming mirrors tend to have the solder joints inside crack. They can be fixed, but will cause a rattle and non functioning auto dimmer and mirror lights
8: Leather seats tear (always do on everything eventually)
9: Convertible tops have issues with the motors or hydraulics or something. I'm not a convertible guy, but it seems semi common.

I'm getting pretty abstract... They're a pretty mechanically solid car. Definitely one of the nicest to work on (the GS, NOT the GT)
Great! Thanks for the list. Doesn't seem like there is anything here that would ultimately keep me from buying one of these. I'll try to inspect all off these before I hand over any cash to the dealer.

Quote:
I have also felt the Audi pain. My TT is my daily, and to do the clutch, I pull the motor. I had the flywheel bolts back out twice. While in there, I did a built block. Audi stuff is a pain from the factory, but it gets better once you start redoing it all
Leave it to the Germans to make every repair expensive and to force you to drop the engine for most repairs. Ive never before opened a manual and seen over 50% of repairs start with "Remove motor". But they are nice and its good experience to have.

Old February 6th, 2020, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Whenever I had to access anything around the turbo, I pulled the head... I got good enough to do a head swap on my TT in an hour and a half with a friend's help. So that's from 1 head to another, including the timing job (for reference, a GS timing job takes me about 45 minutes to an hour these days)

Everything is just so cramped in the Audi engine bays, especially transverse AWD ones. Longitudinal 4 cylinders aren't bad, but the 6 and 8 are packed solid

I think you'll like a 4g eclipse, it has character for sure. Just the GS lacks power, and once it has power, it lacks traction. The open dif isn't good for take-offs and exit speeds, but it beats a limited slip for cornering speeds.... So it's all compromise

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 6th, 2020, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
Basmanisme is on a distinguished road
I would ad to the above list:

Sunroof leaks down the A pillar.
Roof seam leaks down over the rear window.

Mine is a 2006 GS original owner 120,000 miles. Never been to a shop except to replace the A/C compressor (I didn't have the tools). Everything else I did myself including the timing belt (2x). One time it snapped and took out the valves.

Still love the car.
Basmanisme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2020, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Whenever I had to access anything around the turbo, I pulled the head... I got good enough to do a head swap on my TT in an hour and a half with a friend's help. So that's from 1 head to another, including the timing job (for reference, a GS timing job takes me about 45 minutes to an hour these days)

Everything is just so cramped in the Audi engine bays, especially transverse AWD ones. Longitudinal 4 cylinders aren't bad, but the 6 and 8 are packed solid

I think you'll like a 4g eclipse, it has character for sure. Just the GS lacks power, and once it has power, it lacks traction. The open dif isn't good for take-offs and exit speeds, but it beats a limited slip for cornering speeds.... So it's all compromise
Ive got a D2 A8L with the 40 valve. Cramped for sure lol. I used to own a 3G Eclipse but the first time I let my wife drive it (8 years ago) she totalled it. Ive been wanting to get another Eclipse since but haven't had the right opportunity. I love the cars and can't wait to get this one (so long as I get my return before it sells).
Old February 6th, 2020, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basmanisme View Post
I would ad to the above list:

Sunroof leaks down the A pillar.
Roof seam leaks down over the rear window.

Mine is a 2006 GS original owner 120,000 miles. Never been to a shop except to replace the A/C compressor (I didn't have the tools). Everything else I did myself including the timing belt (2x). One time it snapped and took out the valves.

Still love the car.
Good to know. I'm definitely excited to get this. I've never heard of a first year car that has this little amount of problems. I'm eager to make my way to Milwaukee to pick her up.
Old February 6th, 2020, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Basically Stock

You're gonna like the 4g a lot more. The chassis is much more rigid, and it makes more power than the 4G64 due to significant increases in head flow.

It's heavy, being an SUV platform, then they added reinforcement structure to THAT, and called it a sports car. Definitely an odd method, but it makes it highly capable as a chassis. Gutted, a GS gets down to around 2500lbs. Then you can get fancy to get below that. Not that I think you're planning to build a raw track car though

The 3g was a sebring

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 6th, 2020, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
You're gonna like the 4g a lot more. The chassis is much more rigid, and it makes more power than the 4G64 due to significant increases in head flow.

It's heavy, being an SUV platform, then they added reinforcement structure to THAT, and called it a sports car. Definitely an odd method, but it makes it highly capable as a chassis. Gutted, a GS gets down to around 2500lbs. Then you can get fancy to get below that. Not that I think you're planning to build a raw track car though

The 3g was a sebring
2 door Sebring was a 2 door 3G
4 door 3G is a 4 door 3G
4 door Sebring is a 4 door sebring
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in