2006 GT v6 manual Trans - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2020, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

slashfla is on a distinguished road
Flywheel Issues 2006 GT v6 MT

Hi, I have a 2006 Eclipse GT 3.8L Manual Trans and have recently pulled the flywheel and was going to replace it when i noticed there were no shims. It had been burning up starters and this may be the reason from what i've read. One guy listed part #MD365781 and MD365791 but i don't believe those are correct and probably for a 2.4L as the bolt pattern is for 7 bolts and my flywheel (old and new) have 8. I've been to the end of the internet to find these shims and was able to find the part #'s listed above, but cant find ANYTHING on the right shims for this car. Ive called several partshouses to no avail. Any guidance?

At this point i'm not even sure that motor needs flywheel shims but mine is off and not lining up with the starter. Loud grinding noise.

Last edited by slashfla; May 12th, 2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adjust title
slashfla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2020, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Shizahoffa is on a distinguished road
I too have a 3.8l 6 speed. I noticed my flywheel was bad when every time I started the car I heard loud clunking. It would be clunk clunk clunk then finally turn over and never heard it while driving. I too was burning starters like crazy and cannot tell you how many times I had to pop start this car. When I changed my flywheel it was all wobbly and just needed to be changed. It wiggled very easily and that’s why it burnt through my starters. I got Shims from autozone and cut them to add space for the starter before I took the trans off but it didn’t help at all. Same sound, and burnt through a new starter in a couple of starts. That’s when I knew I needed to replace my flywheel. When I put my new flywheel on with my new starter, it was dead silent and perfect. I did change it for the Fidanza lightwheight single mass however. Still, I did not need to use the shims to add space between the starter and where it bolts up to the trans to turn the flywheel. I’ve driven it for thousands Of miles and hundreds of starts and it’s perfect without shims. When the flywheel was bad I’d get maybe 12 starts on a starter. LKQ hated me for a while because I kept warranting the starters 😂.

When the flywheel was bad, it sounded like a hard rod knock every time I started it. All I’m saying is, I’ve never had success with shims when it was broken, and I did not need them after I replaced my flywheel. So shims might not help you. Personally they didn’t help me and it was the flywheeel in my case.
Shizahoffa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
06 eclipse, 06 gt, 2.4l, 2006, 2006 eclipse, 2006 eclipse gt, 2006 gt, 3.8l, bolt, bolts, burning, car, ding, eclipse, eclipse gt, flywheel, grinding, gt v6, loud, manual, motor, noise, replace, trans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in