Noob Questions - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2020, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

its_a_gt_bruh is on a distinguished road
Noob Questions

Hey all, I have a few noob questions. I hope this is in the right place. Detailed answers will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. What is the EGR system? I know what it stands for, but what exactly does it do? And Why? What are the pros and cons of deleting it, and what does it take to delete it?

2. Is there any way to tell how recently a timing belt has been changed? Or if it has at all... I recently bought an 08 gt with 130k on the clock and I know very little about its service history. What should I look for when I examine the belt? And how much should I expect to pay to have it changed?

3. What kind of horsepower gains are usually seen by tuning a 4g gt? Is it a night and day difference when driving the car, or is it more subtle?
its_a_gt_bruh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2020, 02:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It allows gasses from the exhaust to recirculate back into the intake manifold. The purpose of this is to reduce intake manifold vacuum, but without having to open the throttle wider. Lower intake vacuum means less pumping losses, so higher fuel efficiency. And by using exhaust gasses instead of fresh air, you don't need to add gasoline to the mix to prevent it going dangerously lean, as the air is inert.
Pros of deleting it are that you have one less part to go wrong, as stuck open will reduce power (inert exhaust air going in instead of fresh air to burn fuel with).
Cons are that you'll lose fuel economy.

Overall. Just keep it functioning.

If the belt has any sort of visible damage, it should have been replaced long ago. If it has any slack, it's old. If the auto tensioner can't have a pin put in it, the tensioners are worn or belt has stretched. Between $300 and $1200 depending where you go. Slight cracking on the belt surface is not ok. It should look pristine at all times. They don't show their age very well until they're at death's door, or even later sometimes. Safest is to change it. Gates makes a good 100,000 mile belt proven time and time again on the forum

It depends on supporting mods. 10-20whp common. But it's across the whole rev range it picks up torque and fuel economy also rises. It'll be your most important mod. Nothing other than forced induction is going to do more than a tune. Intakes are minimal change. Headers help quite a bit, but need a tune. Exhausts aren't that needed, but can pick up some power once the other mods are in play. Don't go too big or you'll lose average power at the expense of chasing the highest peak power, making you slower

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in