I have a question Grey streaks under carpet? How to remove? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         
 

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.


Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

  • Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2020, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Flin
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Modesto, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 3
fcabagnot is on a distinguished road
Grey streaks under carpet? How to remove?

Guys, anyone ever remove the carpet on their Eclipse? Underneath they have these grey streaks on the chassis that are pretty hard to remove. Has anyone ever attempted to take these off? Is this some sort of sound deadening material? If so, will dry ice remove it? Thanks.
fcabagnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 12th, 2020, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Kyle
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
Posts: 1,747
Rep Power: 4
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Is it glue?
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 13th, 2020, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Flin
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Modesto, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 3
fcabagnot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
Is it glue?
Is that what it is?
fcabagnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old June 13th, 2020, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock
 
Sabertooth^2's Avatar
The metal sound insulator? People either grind it off, or hit it with liquid nitrogen then hammer it off
__________________
Photobucket p500 fix

My Build Thread


Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2020, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Flin
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Modesto, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 3
fcabagnot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
The metal sound insulator? People either grind it off, or hit it with liquid nitrogen then hammer it off
Oh okay, cool. So liquid nitrogen will work for sure? I kinda brushed this idea off cause it looks much different than your average sound deadening material. Just to clarify, this is dry ice correct?
fcabagnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2020, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock
 
Sabertooth^2's Avatar
Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide. It may work.

Liquid nitrogen is nitrogen cooled to the point of being a liquid. You pour it on, and it causes the metal to contract rapidly, and being near absolute 0, bonds become quite weak between the materials. So then it can be easily chiselled off. It's not uncommon in racecars for weight savings.

If you're talking about what I think you are, it's fairly common in sports cars instead of using foam sound deadening
__________________
Photobucket p500 fix

My Build Thread


Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2020, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Flin
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Modesto, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 3
fcabagnot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide. It may work.

Liquid nitrogen is nitrogen cooled to the point of being a liquid. You pour it on, and it causes the metal to contract rapidly, and being near absolute 0, bonds become quite weak between the materials. So then it can be easily chiselled off. It's not uncommon in racecars for weight savings.

If you're talking about what I think you are, it's fairly common in sports cars instead of using foam sound deadening

Where can I purchase liquid nitrogen? And would this be safe for the chassis underneath the deadening material?
fcabagnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2020, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Basically Stock
 
Sabertooth^2's Avatar
I have no idea where your local source would be. You're gonna have to look around, check industrial suppliers or places that sells stuff for scientific purposes.

As for safe for the metal under, yes. Paint may not like it though. It's not corrosive, it's totally inert. But if the paint isn't flexible enough it can crack.
__________________
Photobucket p500 fix

My Build Thread


Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2020, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
F.N.G.
 
Steve_06_Ark's Avatar
 

Name: Steve
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Arkansas
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Posts: 104
Rep Power: 2
Steve_06_Ark will become famous soon enough
You're talking about the stuff that looks like thin rolls of grey putty stuck in a bunch but really hard on the metal under the carpet?
Why you want to remove it? It prevents that spot from rattling. Even when i sound proofed with fatmat i left that intact and just rolled over it without any problems.
I did give it a hit or two with a wedge at first but once i realized how well it was bonded I decided not to mess with it.
Steve_06_Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2020, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Flin
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Modesto, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 3
fcabagnot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_06_Ark View Post
You're talking about the stuff that looks like thin rolls of grey putty stuck in a bunch but really hard on the metal under the carpet?
Why you want to remove it? It prevents that spot from rattling. Even when i sound proofed with fatmat i left that intact and just rolled over it without any problems.
I did give it a hit or two with a wedge at first but once i realized how well it was bonded I decided not to mess with it.
Right, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm actually using this specific Eclipse to take on track, so I want it to look nice with a gutted interior. I feel the grey streaks make it look kinda weird. I'm not worried about rattles or anything since it's going to be for track use.
fcabagnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2020, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
F.N.G.
 
Steve_06_Ark's Avatar
 

Name: Steve
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Arkansas
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Posts: 104
Rep Power: 2
Steve_06_Ark will become famous soon enough
Fcabagnot, yep that's sound dampening material. I imagine those guys are right, I think I read about cooling it down to make it fragile. I can tell you a wedge and fairly heavy hammer didn't do anything and I feared it would damage the trunk floor and stopped. I did my best to file down the really pointy ends (mainly because it kept poking me while I sit in the boot applying fatmat) but good luck. That stuff is really strong.
I imagine you're having fun with your car on the track, but my soul screams at the idea of leaving it stripped down to the metal (I had mine like that for a few weeks last year and it was unbearable). Please keep it off the walls bro, less and less Eclipses still on the road every year.
What kind of HP are you getting from your track car? I wonder how much weight you've cut from the curb weight. I'd rather go on a diet than gut my interior!
Steve_06_Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2020, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Flin
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Modesto, CA
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
Posts: 153
Rep Power: 3
fcabagnot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_06_Ark View Post
Fcabagnot, yep that's sound dampening material. I imagine those guys are right, I think I read about cooling it down to make it fragile. I can tell you a wedge and fairly heavy hammer didn't do anything and I feared it would damage the trunk floor and stopped. I did my best to file down the really pointy ends (mainly because it kept poking me while I sit in the boot applying fatmat) but good luck. That stuff is really strong.
I imagine you're having fun with your car on the track, but my soul screams at the idea of leaving it stripped down to the metal (I had mine like that for a few weeks last year and it was unbearable). Please keep it off the walls bro, less and less Eclipses still on the road every year.
What kind of HP are you getting from your track car? I wonder how much weight you've cut from the curb weight. I'd rather go on a diet than gut my interior!
So far I was able to shave off aprox 250lbs, the car sits at about 3100lbs atm, still with AC. I believe I can get it down to around 3000lbs with CF hood, hatch, and lighter wheels and titanium exhaust. The only mods that I have right now are CAI, Magnaflow exhaust and throttle body bypass. Headers and E85 tune will be coming in the next couple months. I'll dyno the thing then and keep you guys updated. The car's potential is incredible with all the weight shaved off, even without headers and a tune.
fcabagnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
carpet, eclipse, grey, how to, ice, remove, sound

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Location
Where you live.
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger