I have a question New Engine - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2020, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

almigghty is on a distinguished road
New Engine

Whats the best way and cheapest way to replace engine or find a used one? I bent a rod in mine so its hard to decide. Shop wants to charge 7k for a whole new rebuilt engine thatís including labor and the new engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
almigghty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2020, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Junkyard motor from an Outlander is cheap. New rods are equally as cheap if you can install your own. I think it's about $600 for a set of forged rods if you're feeling it. I can get an exact price from my wholesaler if interested. I typically sell kits of rods, bearings, pistons, and thrust washers together

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2020, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
I think his car is a GT. Not sure if that is a factor in the search. How you bent the rod?
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 21st, 2020, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

They told me it was better off to get a whole new engine instead of rebuilding it which makes no sense. I have a GT my thing the timing belt snapped and ruined my valves an pistons. Not sure since they done wanna open it up. Its a stressful situation due to I still owe on it.

Old June 21st, 2020, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Shizahoffa is on a distinguished road
Where do you live? I have an extra engine in So cal but can’t ship it. If you are close by I can sell you the engine and we can swap it for you and you’ll be spending a quarter of that already quoted price
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78AC12ED-A615-4421-9CD0-CA99B2FE4F17_1592771473172.jpg (36.6 KB, 6 views)
Shizahoffa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2020, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by almigghty View Post
They told me it was better off to get a whole new engine instead of rebuilding it which makes no sense. I have a GT my thing the timing belt snapped and ruined my valves an pistons. Not sure since they done wanna open it up. Its a stressful situation due to I still owe on it.

You’re not better off doing that, it’s just easier for them to do that’s why they said that
Of course a properly rebuilt engine with good components will be better than some used engine with unknown mileage and wear
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2020, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Ah. You'll need to source a 6G75 Mivec motor

Aka, 4G Eclipse, maybe Pejero. Rebuild for sure.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2020, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizahoffa View Post
Where do you live? I have an extra engine in So cal but canít ship it. If you are close by I can sell you the engine and we can swap it for you and youíll be spending a quarter of that already quoted price

I live in South dakota unfortunately but appreciate it man

Old June 21st, 2020, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
Youíre not better off doing that, itís just easier for them to do thatís why they said that
Of course a properly rebuilt engine with good components will be better than some used engine with unknown mileage and wear

Yeah you got a point I might have to start from scratch.

Old June 21st, 2020, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Obviously a rebuilt engine will be better if done properly, but then it’s #1 going to cost more than dropping in a used engine and #2 you have to find a shop that knows how to properly rebuilt the engine, a lot of basic mechanic shops won’t want to rebuild an engine believe it or not, they just want to swap a used one or already built one in for you

Downsides to swapping in a used engine though is of course the mileage, age, and wear on all of its components, plus unless you can verify the mileage on the car it’s coming out of, don’t trust what some junk yard or scrapper tells you the mileage is, even then it might not be accurate if it isn’t that cars original engine

Of course there’s always the possibility of the engine you get used and swap in may not even work either unless you see it run while still in the old car yourself

Just the risks you take, if u have the $$ and u want a rebuilt engine that’s the way to go, if u want to save $$ and gamble with a used engine then you know what you’re getting into both ways

Yeah you got a point I might have to start from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine, iphone, rebuilt, replace, shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in