Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority

Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority (https://www.club4g.org/board/)
-   2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) (https://www.club4g.org/board/2006-2012-eclipse-general-4g/)
-   -   Oil Leaking (https://www.club4g.org/board/2006-2012-eclipse-general-4g/121083-oil-leaking.html)

alovid19 September 14th, 2020 12:03 PM

Oil Leaking

2 Attachment(s)
Hi y'all I noticed some oil leaking under my car. It not too bad but i think its transmission oil because its right next to the CV Drive Shaft axle. I noticed that there is a little clean cutout hole in the same spot underneath so its a factory cut, right? I also put in Redline trans gear fluid in recently so i think that I put just a bit too much and the oil leaks through that factory hole. Or would it be leaking because of some mechanical issue? Can y'all give me your opinion before i take it to the mechanic?

Thank you in advance for any response you may offer!

pcfreak4 September 14th, 2020 12:46 PM

Is the pan gasket leaking? It may not even be a gasket at all, it might just be that RTV sealer “Hondabond”

alovid19 September 14th, 2020 02:41 PM

maybe not the pan, well idk, It leaks from between the thin sheet and transmission, is it supposed to have RTV surrounding the whole thing or just the bolts ? That hook thing and its bolt was put on by the mechanic because the original bolt was missing.

alovid19 October 1st, 2020 04:01 PM

Update

1 Attachment(s)
So I went to get this checked out and it turns out its really just a bunch of seals that are bad i guess. Here is the list of issues.

>If you are leaking oil in your Eclipse< I Have attached the names/prices of common engine/trans seals in the picture to save some hassle.

Prices are from Austin Texas.

Sabertooth^2 October 1st, 2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfreak4 (Post 1920291)
Is the pan gasket leaking? It may not even be a gasket at all, it might just be that RTV sealer “Hondabond”

Stock doesn't use a gasket. RTV is the standard, like on many cars. It's less prone to leaking when done right, and more forgiving than a gasket to flaws in the pan stamping

pcfreak4 October 1st, 2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 (Post 1920663)
Stock doesn't use a gasket. RTV is the standard, like on many cars. It's less prone to leaking when done right, and more forgiving than a gasket to flaws in the pan stamping

I found out that the leaking "gasket" on my 4spd auto trans solenoid cover where the dipstick is really isn't a gasket either, just RTV silicone bond. Not sure I wanna mess with taking that cover off yet to redo it, it's leaking, but not bad enough yet.

Sabertooth^2 October 2nd, 2020 07:14 AM

Just use a good oil rated RTV. I've re-done engine and trans oil pans on a handful of cars.

My biggest mistake was using a 20 year old oil pan sealant from Rolls-Royce. Why would anyone ever trust a British oil sealant to work is beyond me. But I did.