4g69 is it a good motor? advice - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
rifleman

Name: kevo
Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/gs
devlin is on a distinguished road
4g69 is it a good motor? advice

my car has nearly 100,000 on it and in question whether i should go forced induction or not. sense it has aluminum heads do you think the motor isnt strong enough to live a long life? Right now i am in debate to just buy another car older with less cpu's and motor is made out of cast iron rather then have aluminum internals. what do you guys think?
devlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trying to be fully built

Name: Roman
Vehicle: 2007/eclipse/gs
roman lujan has a spectacular aura about
Okay the motor is good yes the head is aluminum but the block is iron the crank is rated around 600hp. The internals are flimsy but can be removed for forged parts Wisco makes piston, you cam pick up rods off any manufacture that makes 4g63 rods. You can swap valve retainers from the evo 4g63 as well as the valves themselves self which is said to fit but no comfermation on that. You can port the head for 300 and you will feel the diffrence forshare. They offere cams, From delta and row. Yes this block is very good it has a The 4G69 is a 2378 cc version built in Shiga, Japan. Bore is 87*mm and stroke is 100*mm. Output is 162 hp (119 kW) at 5750 rpm (160 in the Sportback Wagon) with 162 ftlbf (219 Nm) of torque at 4000 rpm. It has a cast iron engine block and an aluminum SOHC cylinder head. It uses multi-point fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with roller followers, a one-piece cast camshaft, and a cast aluminum intake manifold. The 4G69 incorporates Mitsubishi's MIVEC Variable Valve Timing technology. The 4G69 is an interference motor like the 4G63.

mods/ obxr lt header/es motor mounts/cold air intake/megan racing catback/ rre und pully/gt tb/stage one delta cam/ aem fic/ msr stlye 44 rims/tein stechmods i have waiting to be put in stage 2 cam/ manly rods/ apr head and mian studs/ wisco pistions/in need of a nitrious kit/ head/intake manifold
roman lujan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm the BEST

Name: Rick
Vehicle: 2008 GT-SC
dejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nicedejectedangle is just really nice
Go old school if ur worried bout aluminum

TEAM BIG SUPERCHARGERS
406 whp Evo killer
dejectedangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 19th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GS
MACH1219 is an unknown quantity at this point
if u want to go faster, buy a v8....lol

are u talking nitrous, blower, what? what psi? how much NOS? A lot of factors, low amounts of boost stock motor probably handle ok, if you get crazy, then you need to beef it up

Last edited by MACH1219; October 19th, 2011 at 04:38 AM.
MACH1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
What Drives You?

Name: Kibo... past, present, and Future
Vehicle: 3 GTs | 2 Evos | 1 FTO
Slippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond reputeSlippercream has a reputation beyond repute
lol. I think you'd be looking at a tractor motor if you expect to see cast iron heads.

The '69 is a good motor, if you're looking for stroke. It's got a good bottom end that you could mate with a '63t head from a CT9A Evo, with little modification. There are enough internal options out there to make this combination work, and it's been done many a time before.

Now as for working with the whole engine by itself and boosting, that's a different issue - there's more to making an engine push out effective power to yield at the wheels than just an engine.
And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?" - Benjamin Franklin
Slippercream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 08 eclipse gs
mivecpower is on a distinguished road
iv been thinkin myself is it worth it to turbo or sc my gs. all i have right now is the money for the actual kit, but im wanting atleast 350 at the wheels so i know the internals must be done, but is it worth it to actually save more money and have it built up or more worth it just to trade up to the v6 or what? i love my gs to death and always said i4 is better than a v6 but now im starting to completely doubt it :/ plus after having the chance to drive my friends 03 cobra around town, i just feel slow, but i guess thats what happens when you drive a fast ass car and then get back into your basically stock n/a 4 banger lol but anyways is it worth it? to basicaly spend as much as the whole car is worth just building up the 4g69?
mivecpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

No, it is not worth it, and you most likely will seriously regret it. Just keep all these fantasies of a super powerful GS to exactly that, fantasies, and you'll be fine.

Speaking from experience, if you want a fast car, with TONS of aftermarket support, u start with a v8 mustang or something similar. But with the price of gas these days, and the move to all electric vehicles well on its way, i would scrap all plans of throwing thousands of dollars into a car to make it faster, unless your rich.....or at least have a second vehicle to drive and a garage to work on it in
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

but see thats the thing is i know i could go get a mustang or a gto or somethin with a big v8, i used to have a 76 nova with a 327 swap, super quick off the line, but its just one of those things like iv raced a mustang gt, from like 94, at the track and beat him by like half a second, and when they get mad and make me pop the hood and they see its not a v6, it just feels great to see their disappointment haha.
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trying to be fully built

It's really up to you to deem if it worth it not some one else. Fully built you can see around 350 to 400 hp on full internal and a turbo which is quick for now but give it like 5 year and if there is any gas powered cars left they will be making alot more then that. But you can always swap out cranks and turn the boost up but by then it will only be a weekend car

mods/ obxr lt header/es motor mounts/cold air intake/megan racing catback/ rre und pully/gt tb/stage one delta cam/ aem fic/ msr stlye 44 rims/tein stechmods i have waiting to be put in stage 2 cam/ manly rods/ apr head and mian studs/ wisco pistions/in need of a nitrious kit/ head/intake manifold
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

so what is the cost to get a v6 put in? or even an evo engine put in, if thats even possible. im startin to think just trade in for a gto but i love my car
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivecpower View Post
but see thats the thing is i know i could go get a mustang or a gto or somethin with a big v8, i used to have a 76 nova with a 327 swap, super quick off the line, but its just one of those things like iv raced a mustang gt, from like 94, at the track and beat him by like half a second, and when they get mad and make me pop the hood and they see its not a v6, it just feels great to see their disappointment haha.
whoever you beat driving a 94 mustang v8 clearly has no idea what they are doing, in either working on the engine, or driving the car in a drag race. I wouldnt throw your hopes on that being a regular occurance
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivecpower View Post
so what is the cost to get a v6 put in? or even an evo engine put in, if thats even possible. im startin to think just trade in for a gto but i love my car
you dont want to do these things. You seem to have not considered tourque steer either, a result of high power and front wheel drive.

if you love the eclipse, but want more power, sell yours and buy a v6 version. Thats a start.....then if your still hungry for power, you start modding the v6.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Mitsu Eclipse GS
dsm2mivec is a jewel in the roughdsm2mivec is a jewel in the rough
Gto's are kill stories. I love the look and the sound but they aren't near as fast as you can get for that kind of money! There is a saying that I use for myself it's 'built not bought' my suggestion to you is get you a 240 or something and build the motor by yourself paying attention to little details and stuff like that and even if it's not the fastest thing out there you know what your doing! Other wise you go buy a car that's gonna rape ass and be like 99% of corvette owners :/ your gs can be crazy fast but you gotta have $ and knowledge and like everyone else said by the time you get it as fast as you want it's gonna be obsolete
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Trying to be fully built

Na that year modle of mustangs are pieces of shit I have lined up with a lot of them a each time I killed it the are rated at 215-225 form the factory so a newer car with a little less horsepower but a more aggressive geAring can take it out now a full bolt on gs should have no problem even if it has some mods

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

GTO's are junk. The other pontiac is bass ass, dont remember the name, G8 maybe?

he wants to go fast....hes not a mechanic or he wouldn't be entertaining these ideas in the first place. what are GT's eclipse, around 260hp? so thats a 100 hp head start over your GS, and you havent had to mod anything. its not financially feasable to make your GS powerful versus buying the GT.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Trying to be fully built

Not to mention they are almost 20 years old with out of date tech and the motor has maybe atleast 100k+

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman lujan View Post
Na that year modle of mustangs are pieces of shit I have lined up with a lot of them a each time I killed it the are rated at 215-225 form the factory so a newer car with a little less horsepower but a more aggressive geAring can take it out now a full bolt on gs should have no problem even if it has some mods
maybe. i still say the stang owner was a clown. however, my stang memories are of this MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source! so I have forgot what the stock version felt like
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman lujan View Post
Not to mention they are almost 20 years old with out of date tech and the motor has maybe atleast 100k+
out of date tech? can you be more specific? The only big common advancement from that era to now is variable valve timing, which wasnt as common on V8 engine anyway

Last edited by MACH1219; November 5th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Trying to be fully built

Yeah that will make the diffrence new heads cams beefed up trany Full boltons. That's a whole different storie compared to a guy with some flow masters and a intake

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
the mathematical

Name: Mark
Vehicle: 07/Eclipse/GS
mwaterous is just really nicemwaterous is just really nicemwaterous is just really nice
Not to throw a wrench in the topic, but anybody here who really thinks electric has a chance of taking over in the next five years has been working in their garage with the doors closed. Just sayin.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Trying to be fully built

Most companies have have hybrids and electric cars and it's only going to keep going look a Chevy the have hybrids and electrics now and the gas machines are going down the only real cars Chevy has is the comaros and corvetts which is the horsepower is going up dramsticaly and so is the price and the electrics are taking over the market

Old November 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
the mathematical

Name: Mark
Vehicle: 07/Eclipse/GS
mwaterous is just really nicemwaterous is just really nicemwaterous is just really nice
They've also been put out to pasture entirely I think twice before. Oil companies stand to make next to nothing off of them or we'd be driving cars powered by almost anything but already. I think the hybrids are out there just to make the stupid vegans happy, and that special happy group of folks in San Fran (sssnnnnifffffff, points if you catch the reference).

I'm not outright saying you're wrong (okay I guess I did, but I'll take it back for now), I'm just saying that I don't think it has a hope in hubris. If we survive the 2012 apocalypse, the 2013 apocalypse, and all the way through to the 2016 apocalypse, and we're both still on the forums here, I'll buy you a beer if it's all electric on the road. I'll even overnight a six-pack.
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Oh, its not going to happen in 5 years, not even close, but I think eventually it will happen
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Trying to be fully built

Well it will get much more dominant

Old November 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1219 View Post
GTO's are junk. The other pontiac is bass ass, dont remember the name, G8 maybe?

he wants to go fast....hes not a mechanic or he wouldn't be entertaining these ideas in the first place. what are GT's eclipse, around 260hp? so thats a 100 hp head start over your GS, and you havent had to mod anything. its not financially feasable to make your GS powerful versus buying the GT.
i am a mechanic, its just the only thing iv worked on are older model v8s, mainly chevys, and i know how easy it is to make power on them, stock bottom end get the heads p&p and good intake cam and exhaust and boom you got a cheap and decently fast car, used to have a nice nova before it got totalled, but anyways i just love my eclipse but yeah i dont really know anything about these new cars. but at the same time i know for the same price as just the turbo kit for a car like ours i could build a 500 hp v8 without nitrous or anything. now i wish i woulda just bought another old school with my insurance money
Old November 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

so sell your car and buy something else. no biggie
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Name: k maz
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse
K-Maz7 is on a distinguished road
what kind of internals does a stock 4g69/09 4g eclipse gs have? as in, does it have forged internals or not?
K-Maz7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
North 4G Korea dissident

Name: www.c4gnation.com
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to allxxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is a name known to all
holy thread revival.

no.
xxxxxxpat_08GT_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Name: Victor
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi galant 2.
Poetic50 is on a distinguished road
4g69 internals are good to 210hp i think and if u want more like 300 to 350 i think u need forged pistons and thicker head gasket...i just seen pics of this guy named stayer and he has a mitsubishi galant with a 4g69 with custom exhaust manifold and garrett turbo and whole lot of stuff he custome made
Poetic50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2016, 12:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Tetris Champion!
Name: Eric
Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT 6 Speed MT
1SickTSI is on a distinguished road
Holy Thread Revival LOL
Old September 5th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic50 View Post
4g69 internals are good to 210hp i think and if u want more like 300 to 350 i think u need forged pistons and thicker head gasket...i just seen pics of this guy named stayer and he has a mitsubishi galant with a 4g69 with custom exhaust manifold and garrett turbo and whole lot of stuff he custome made
Stayer is a well known member on here, he does tuning and all sorts of fun builds with the 4g69. He has some services and products for sale here

But I can tell you right now that the stock internals will take more than 210hp

PS: Holy thread revival

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #32 (permalink)

Name: Victor
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi galant 2.
Poetic50 is on a distinguished road
What services and products he has?
Poetic50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2020, 07:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Stoutking is on a distinguished road
I have 2006 Mitsubishi gs 2.4 automatic same engine, transmission and fuel pump. Still running strong. My only advice would be follow owner manual to the tee. Change all Fluids dont flush transmission. Drain and replace. As we speak. I'm 197,500 miles still running strong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200227_172630_1583589089826.jpg (20.5 KB, 11 views)
Stoutking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2020, 09:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

Xav93Kid is on a distinguished road
Thank you!
Xav93Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2020, 12:18 AM   #35 (permalink)

I will update everything that was repaired on my 2006 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.4 automatic sonic when I get 200k miles on it. To help other owners or buyers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200227_172630_1583731055749.jpg (20.5 KB, 7 views)
Old March 12th, 2020, 11:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaterous View Post
They've also been put out to pasture entirely I think twice before. Oil companies stand to make next to nothing off of them or we'd be driving cars powered by almost anything but already. I think the hybrids are out there just to make the stupid vegans happy, and that special happy group of folks in San Fran (sssnnnnifffffff, points if you catch the reference).

I'm not outright saying you're wrong (okay I guess I did, but I'll take it back for now), I'm just saying that I don't think it has a hope in hubris. If we survive the 2012 apocalypse, the 2013 apocalypse, and all the way through to the 2016 apocalypse, and we're both still on the forums here, I'll buy you a beer if it's all electric on the road. I'll even overnight a six-pack.
It's 2020!! I want my six pack!! Wait... if it's all electric... awe, fudge!!
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2020, 12:59 AM   #37 (permalink)

I have had my Mitsubishi eclipse gs auto 2.4 since I had 60k miles on it. I now have 200k same engine, transmission, fuel pump, all computers. I am the second owner. All Fluids changed every 50k miles. This are is my daily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200605_205101_1592632713718.jpg (22.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20200605_205045_1592632731314.jpg (25.0 KB, 5 views)

Tags
4g69, buy, car, good, life, live, long, motor, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in