How to program a new key fob explained - Page 2 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > 2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G)

2006-2012 Eclipse (General 4G) General discussion and information about the 2006-2012 (4th Generation) Eclipse.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #41 (permalink)

Name: Damian
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GS Auto
D Rocc is on a distinguished road
Here are the pics to my weird fob on my current key. There is no white button to press down where the trunk button should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1454716107240.jpg (30.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1454716115931.jpg (34.8 KB, 27 views)
D Rocc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #42 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to behold
o wow. you do have the wrong one.
your is for a Endever or Outlander...
It still works fine, it just dosent have the trunk button.

No worries though, I've already ordered you the correct one. : )

Thanks for the pics.
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #43 (permalink)

Name: Keshelsmith
Vehicle: BMW/2015
Keshelsmith is on a distinguished road
I just purchased a 2011 CPO X3. Although the dealer knew one of the two key fobs was missing for almost four weeks before I closed on the car, they did nothing. Nevertheless, they finally sent me a new key fob but it does programmed so i contact LOCKSMITH HOLLYWOOD.They helped me.
Keshelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 31st, 2016, 06:35 AM   #44 (permalink)

Name: Keith Allsop
Vehicle: 2007 Galant GTS
kallsop is on a distinguished road
Will this work for a '07 Galant GTS? I just bought the car used, it only has one key, and the remote buttons don't work (dead battery maybe, or broken) but the blade does lock/unlock the doors and start the car just fine so the transponder is good.
kallsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #45 (permalink)

Name: natty
escapefate will become famous soon enough
I am going to maybe try this.

but instead of a paper clip I am going to use to lines of speaker wire and just connect them when I need to.

Sun and Sound Package.
escapefate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:57 AM   #46 (permalink)

Name: mikevolpe
Vehicle: bmw2015
mikevolpe is on a distinguished road
Programming the key for the car by Hollywood Locksmith will get your car to recognize the chip in the new key... as well as getting the car to respond to the trunk pop and door lock signals of the new key
mikevolpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #47 (permalink)

Name: anc
Vehicle: mitsubishi eclipse
Anc96 is on a distinguished road
Need help, I'm clueless...

Hello all.. was hoping someone can give me some info.

My daughter has an 2006 eclipse. She's away at college (luckily only a little over 2 hours from me). She texted yesterday saying her key (the ONLY key) broke. After some confusion (all mine) and more texting, cause hey, she's a college student and apparently doesn't have the time to actually call, I've found she only has the metal part now. No top plastic remote part with the transponder in it. I still don't get how she did it. And she says she can't find the chip for the transponder.
So what are my options. I called the dealership and they said it's $153 for the key and $105 to program it. Not to mention we'll have to have AAA tow her car to the dealership since she can't start the car to drive it. I'm so worried that it's going to cost so much.
Can I buy the key part with the remote from Ebay or somewhere? Will they work? I was told if I brought in the key they'll cut and program it. But if it's the wrong key I'll still be charged for the programming. So I really need to be sure it's the right kind. I'd like to get one with the remote, which seem to run about $38 on ebay and one without which are less than $15.. and they said they program as many keys as I want and just charge the one fee of $105.
Of course they won't help me find a key, so if anyone here could help and point me at the right one for her car I would appreciate it so much. One of the earlier posts here, well over a year ago, talked about the direction of the key. Not sure what that means, so I do want to be sure I get the right key at the best price I can.

Thanks in advance..
ANC96
Anc96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #48 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anc96 View Post
Hello all.. was hoping someone can give me some info.

My daughter has an 2006 eclipse. She's away at college (luckily only a little over 2 hours from me). She texted yesterday saying her key (the ONLY key) broke. After some confusion (all mine) and more texting, cause hey, she's a college student and apparently doesn't have the time to actually call, I've found she only has the metal part now. No top plastic remote part with the transponder in it. I still don't get how she did it. And she says she can't find the chip for the transponder.
So what are my options. I called the dealership and they said it's $153 for the key and $105 to program it. Not to mention we'll have to have AAA tow her car to the dealership since she can't start the car to drive it. I'm so worried that it's going to cost so much.
Can I buy the key part with the remote from Ebay or somewhere? Will they work? I was told if I brought in the key they'll cut and program it. But if it's the wrong key I'll still be charged for the programming. So I really need to be sure it's the right kind. I'd like to get one with the remote, which seem to run about $38 on ebay and one without which are less than $15.. and they said they program as many keys as I want and just charge the one fee of $105.
Of course they won't help me find a key, so if anyone here could help and point me at the right one for her car I would appreciate it so much. One of the earlier posts here, well over a year ago, talked about the direction of the key. Not sure what that means, so I do want to be sure I get the right key at the best price I can.

Thanks in advance..
ANC96
Okay so you can go buy a blank key from anywhere ebay I've even found some one amazon as well. They're all fairly cheap. The key direction means which way the dip faces. On my car it faces the right (point the key straight down) you will need to find the correct one for your car. You can have the key cut anywhere once you get it. As for the fob chip you can purchase one from Ryguy here on the form. You can just send him a PM he'll be very helpful and will explain it better than I can. As far as programming the car there's no clear answer you might have to go to the stealership to have them program it for you. That's as much as I know but ryguy knows more about the key system works.
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #49 (permalink)

Name: anc
Vehicle: mitsubishi eclipse
Anc96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3 View Post
Okay so you can go buy a blank key from anywhere ebay I've even found some one amazon as well. They're all fairly cheap. The key direction means which way the dip faces. On my car it faces the right (point the key straight down) you will need to find the correct one for your car. You can have the key cut anywhere once you get it. As for the fob chip you can purchase one from Ryguy here on the form. You can just send him a PM he'll be very helpful and will explain it better than I can. As far as programming the car there's no clear answer you might have to go to the stealership to have them program it for you. That's as much as I know but ryguy knows more about the key system works.
Thank you so much for such a quick answer! I'll pm ryguy now.
Anc96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #50 (permalink)

Name: Ryan
Vehicle: 06Eclipse Gs
ryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to beholdryguy is a splendid one to behold
Thanks DR3! : )

Anc96 I PM'd you. : )
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #51 (permalink)

Name: Gabby
Vehicle: 09 lancer
Gmalen is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 09 lancer on wednesday and the car came with the keyless entry but it does mot work. I tried doing the programming with the hazard light and the data link connector butbshown in the photo of the data link connector on here it has a ground but mine is just empty with nothing in it.. helppp???? I really dont wamt to take it to the dealership to get it programmed to unlock/lock my car
Gmalen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 27th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #52 (permalink)
DR3

You might have better luck on the lancer forums.
Lancer Forums - evolutionm.net
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #53 (permalink)

Name: Gabby
Vehicle: 09 lancer
Gmalen is on a distinguished road
Oh man i thought this was the lancer form! My bad! Ty
Gmalen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #54 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
Had a spare key made and programmed at Mitsubishi of Laval a few months back. They changed me $263 tax in. Didn't seem too bad, only took 15 minutes.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:47 PM   #55 (permalink)

viller is on a distinguished road
I know this is a necro bump I am just adding information so someone else may find it use full.

They Key Andy4G shows in the picture can be converted I had the same aftermarket key given to me when I bought my red eclipse used.

If you take a razor blade and cut that key open on the seem inside you will find a "small black box / chip " located in a white holder that is the transponder that is programed to the Cars ECU.

It has no circuit board. remove the black chip thing and insert it in the new flip key there is a small unused cavity in the flip key near the button that you press to "flip" out the key.

If you have the transponder and key blade cut you can now start your car with the flip key.

Now if you would like to be able to lock and unlock all your doors and open trunk. You will need to search Ebay for a used key "Cut" key that comes with the fob inside and intact.

Once you have the "cut" key dismantle that remove the Fob part from the Diamond shaped section. And install it on your flip key. It will not be programed to the cars BCU yet so follow the instructions in this thread to program the "Fob" part using a paper clip and the OBDII port.

Yes these instructions work I did mine about 2 years ago. But I have sold that car since and can not really provide a step by step in pictures.

Hope this can help some people seeing how the 4Gs are now hitting the used car market so heavily.

*Note* I would have the key blade for the flip key cut BEFORE cutting your working key apart.

But if for some reason you did not. all you need to make the car crank is a cut key and the transponder "black chip thing" near the ignition switch.

You could even hot glue the transponder under the plastic near the ignition switch and use any cut key or an auto start but that would completely bypass your Transponder system.

Ryguy is great I have bought several of his flip keys from him over the years. He even made me a custom Nasa logo for mine.

~Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4G View Post
I have this key, would I be able to just buy a new shell? All I want is the unlock and lock cus I hate with a passion sticking the key into the god damn door lol, I also have another key that Looks like a regular key to your room door but it's just bigger but that isn't able to start my car, only able to unlock and lock. Got it from the dealer when I first bought my car. I'll take a picture of the second key if anyone wants to see
viller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:24 PM   #56 (permalink)

Name: Jesse
Isalon is on a distinguished road
Sorry to bump this, I just want to make sure I'm not about to make a huge potential mistake.

I have a 2007 mitsubishi eclipse GS standard with OEM keyfob. (Lost the 2nd one.) Over the past year my keyless entry has worked less and less. At first my passenger door wouldn't lock/unlock, but my driver side would. Then both doors stopped locking/unlocking. It got to a point where if I locked the car with the keyfob it wouldn't allow me to manually unlock my car, even using manual entry with the key. The trunk also stopped responding on occasion, which made me panic when that was the only (awkward) point of entry! So now I leave my car unlocked so I can still get in!

My question: Does anyone think, for sure, I should reprogram the keyfob ("resync it") as is described in this thread or think there is a different issue with my car? According to this thread will reprogramming my keyfob with these steps work? Any help would be appreciated, Im going nuts and cant find much information about what ails my car!
Isalon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:07 PM   #57 (permalink)
DR3

Check the battery first. My key was doing some of the same things. But after changing the battery the key worked fine.
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:29 PM   #58 (permalink)

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS SE
fhadso will become famous soon enough
It looks like the shell that came with your car isn't the correct shell. I would also verify the correct blade cut, as they had two(?) different blade styles for the key.
fhadso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 30th, 2018, 07:34 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR3 View Post
Check the battery first. My key was doing some of the same things. But after changing the battery the key worked fine.
Lets assume its not the keyfob battery. Would I then be safe to attempt the steps performed in this thread? Or are there other things I should consider checking too? Someone else mentioned a keyfob shell or somesuch, I believe that was related to someone else as I havent posted any photos.
Old January 30th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #60 (permalink)
DR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isalon View Post
Lets assume its not the keyfob battery. Would I then be safe to attempt the steps performed in this thread? Or are there other things I should consider checking too? Someone else mentioned a keyfob shell or somesuch, I believe that was related to someone else as I havent posted any photos.
Sure. But i wouldnt see why you would. To resync it would be a fix for the transponder. But from the info you've provided that's not the problem. If it was you wouldn't be able to drive the car. If you're talking about the reprogram for a spare key. You would still have to go to a stealership to have it done. Which would mean having to buy a new key with a new transponder that would sync the transponder (black chip talked about in this thread) to work with the car.
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:21 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure. But i wouldnt see why you would. To resync it would be a fix for the transponder. But from the info you've provided that's not the problem. If it was you wouldn't be able to drive the car. If you're talking about the reprogram for a spare key. You would still have to go to a stealership to have it done. Which would mean having to buy a new key with a new transponder that would sync the transponder (black chip talked about in this thread) to work with the car.
No its not a transponder issue. Didnt I see in this thread they reprogrammed the keyfob by using a paperclip to connect 1 and 4, then following some other steps? Thats not the transponder, thats the key reprogram, right? Also, if the issue is not related to the keyfob battery OR reprogram, any other thoughts?
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:23 PM   #62 (permalink)

Nope, now I see my confusion. Okay new question, please redirect me to the appropriate thread if it exists: Can I reprogram/resync my keyfob to my car without involving the stealership? Or am I SOL?
Old February 7th, 2018, 05:41 PM   #63 (permalink)

viller is on a distinguished road
The door locks failing slowly has nothing to do with your FOB it is the motors in the lock actuators going bad. Replacements motors can be found on ebay / amazon for around $20USD. And you will prob want a small tube of white lithium grease to lube up the shaft. and a small bit of super glue to seal it back up with.

You will have to take the entire door apart to get to the actuators.then take them apart to replace the electric motor inside of the actuators.

You will have to replace both at the same time. or the bad / failing motor will pull down the voltage to the good/better motor.

I have three G4s 2006 2007 2012 I have had this happen on the 06 and 07 as a matter of fact I just replaced the motors on the 06 about 2 weeks ago.

Also if you want to get used actuators from a junk yard you can use the 09-12 on 06-08

You will have to transfer the switch that connects the key hole in the door to the actuator with a single philips screw.

"06-08" on the "09-2012" will not work.

If you care to replace the motors I can help and I have the part #'s you will need. email me at [email protected]

Cheers,
Corey

Quote:
Sorry to bump this, I just want to make sure I'm not about to make a huge potential mistake.

I have a 2007 mitsubishi eclipse GS standard with OEM keyfob. (Lost the 2nd one.) Over the past year my keyless entry has worked less and less. At first my passenger door wouldn't lock/unlock, but my driver side would. Then both doors stopped locking/unlocking. It got to a point where if I locked the car with the keyfob it wouldn't allow me to manually unlock my car, even using manual entry with the key. The trunk also stopped responding on occasion, which made me panic when that was the only (awkward) point of entry! So now I leave my car unlocked so I can still get in!

My question: Does anyone think, for sure, I should reprogram the keyfob ("resync it") as is described in this thread or think there is a different issue with my car? According to this thread will reprogramming my keyfob with these steps work? Any help would be appreciated, Im going nuts and cant find much information about what ails my car!
viller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:04 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viller View Post
The door locks failing slowly has nothing to do with your FOB it is the motors in the lock actuators going bad. Replacements motors can be found on ebay / amazon for around $20USD. And you will prob want a small tube of white lithium grease to lube up the shaft. and a small bit of super glue to seal it back up with.

You will have to take the entire door apart to get to the actuators.then take them apart to replace the electric motor inside of the actuators.

You will have to replace both at the same time. or the bad / failing motor will pull down the voltage to the good/better motor.

I have three G4s 2006 2007 2012 I have had this happen on the 06 and 07 as a matter of fact I just replaced the motors on the 06 about 2 weeks ago.

Also if you want to get used actuators from a junk yard you can use the 09-12 on 06-08

You will have to transfer the switch that connects the key hole in the door to the actuator with a single philips screw.

"06-08" on the "09-2012" will not work.

If you care to replace the motors I can help and I have the part #'s you will need. email me at [email protected]

Cheers,
Corey

Quote:

Corey, I will be in touch, thanks so much!
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #65 (permalink)

ablank is on a distinguished road
What if this doesn't work? on my Mitsubishi eclipse 2009 gs

I bringed my car to a keyless store at sears because when i purchase the car the key's were not working at all. The person there did the same process you show, he made a new key for the car, after trying to make the car accept the new or even the OEM old one, The car did everything as you described but after you hear the car lock and unlock( and clicking the keys to programmed to the car ), thinking that the car finally took the new key or the old one. Unfurtanly this did not happen, the keyless person told me that there might be a bad fuse that is causing this, i check each fuse box with a voltage pen, and only 1 did not turn on on neither side. I went to autozone and purchase a new one, but after i plug the new one still not working even if the car is powered on. The fuse number is 7.5 ( 1 out of 9 in the interior fuse box )

Can this be coused by a bad module? or what else can be making this problem.
Please help :/
ablank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 22nd, 2019, 01:11 PM   #66 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
So I took my brand new OEM keyfob to my local locksmith and they were able to program and cut the key to start the car but for some reason they were unable to program the buttons to actually start the car. They only charged me $50 instead of the usual $80 since they were unable to what I really needed (The buttons on the key fob I use currently are starting wear out). What's strange is after they cut the key and they programmed the key to start the car, my remote start still works AS WELL as they buttons on my original remote (The one wearing out). This is strange to me because I've been told when they program a new remote, they have to change the programming on the car, then they sync the keys with the car. I'm wondering if my FlashLogic board connected to my car is completely separate and acts as the middle man between my key fob and the car. This has me conflicted.

I'm going to attempt to do this method to get it programmed, but I'm worried my remote start (FlashLogic) will have to be reprogrammed as well. I found this youtube video that would potentially work but I'm still worried. I don't want to make things worse and not have remote start in the dead middle of winter.

UPDATE: It worked! I did it all while laying on my back under the steering wheel. Was a pain in the ass, but if you do it 3-4 times and it doesn't work, you'll eventually get the hang of where the hazards button is and eventually get it. I didn't have to reprogram my remote starter remote either because I guess it bypasses all that jazz.

Last edited by iBlackSunday; January 22nd, 2019 at 04:57 PM.
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2020, 12:52 PM   #67 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2011 GT 3.8L
Jtown48 is on a distinguished road
Dealer wanted to charge me 400 bucks for this, found the fob from Walmart (of all places) for 17.99 ready to program, got it in the mail a few days later and took 5 min to install it. Saved nearly 400 bucks because of this post so thanks!
Jtown48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2020, 11:22 PM   #68 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown48 View Post
Dealer wanted to charge me 400 bucks for this, found the fob from Walmart (of all places) for 17.99 ready to program, got it in the mail a few days later and took 5 min to install it. Saved nearly 400 bucks because of this post so thanks! :-) :-)
Good to hear

What kind did u find at Walmart that worked? Post a link or pic?
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
600, art, button, car, dash, ebay, eclipse, event, how to, ignition, key, key fob, lock, money, program, programming, remote, start, unlock, wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in