Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
13K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  walias15 
#1 ·
Symptoms:
As indicated in the thread title, this compounded "problem" comes in two parts:
  1. Squealing brakes, no matter how well the brake pads/calipers are cleaned
  2. Steering wheel shimmys when braking, initially only during hard braking, but eventually even with mild depression of brake pedal

The Problem:
The shimmying problem is a carryover issue from the 3G. The front OE brake rotor in the 4G is a hand-me-down from the 8G Galant and 3G Eclipse. Simply put, this is an issue of warped rotors that's pretty well-documented in Club3G.com.

The squealing is something not akin to the 3G, though. Seems as though the "improved" OE brake pads MMNA decided to use with the 4G due to its added weight are prone to pulverizing into fragments that cause squealing, and require constant cleaning.​

The Fix:
There's no question about it: alongside the fact that the OE brake system is rather inadequate to effectively counter the weight of the 4G, there is no other factory recourse than to replace with aftermarket alternatives.

Aftermarket rotors will fix the shimmying/warping issues, and aftermarket pads will (hopefully) address the squealing. And do get good ones - like ceramic metallic pads.

Also, see various posts in Suspension/Tires, etc. forums about Big Brakes. A very highly recommended route, if the budget allows.​

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh, is there really? Does it replace only pads, or does it also involve the calipers?

#5 ·
Kewl. Thanks :) Might be helpful for those who still have the stock setup.

#6 ·
Ya I have had this same problem, and from what i have heard the new pads come out sometime in may so I'm sure if you drop by your local mitsubishi dealer you can find out when exactly they come in for your area, I think i can get them done here in California on the 14th.

#7 ·
I dont kno if this will help much, but I kno that as far as the steering wheel shimmy-ing while braking... it could be the rotors (spelling?) I had that problem before with my old Grand Am and I had to get my rotors cut?? ( I think thats what they called it ) Although your car should still be new so that shouldnt be happening

#8 ·
Lets clarify some things.

Yes there is a recall on the Front Pads. The dealer will replace them if you b**** at them, or if you have good relations with them, they will do it without a problem.

If you have had the brakes on for a long time, they will have to re-surface your rotors. This should be done for free, since it is their pads and s*** rotors.

I have finally worn out my stock brake pads, and I have bought after market pads and rotors.

The stock rotors are warped and cause MASSIVE steering virbration and frankly it scares me. I can't wait to install my new products when they come in and give a review.

Here is the part number of the brakes. If it helps. #4605A261

#9 ·
some misinformation here.

there is NOT a "recall" on anything. There is now a redesigned pad (NOT the entire caliper) that will be replaced upon customer complaint. there was a prior field fix that involved a different pad, and under some extreme cases a new caliper mount but that is all past as it was ineffectual.
there is a new bulletin regarding the part number, and its 07-35-001.
the new pad number is 4605A546.

#10 ·
yup, big difference between a recall and a TSB (technical service bulletin).

I had this done on my car. The brakes were squeaking like crazy with only about a 1000km on the odometer. I'm not exactly sure what they did since they didn't mail the service invoice to me like they'd promised, but the problem is gone.

#11 ·
hey if our brakes are the same as the 3g we can buy their brake upgrade from RRE for the Power Slotted Rotors is only 190$ and ours are 275$

#12 ·
I am now getting squealing and shimmy at 12k miles. Made the appointment for Saturday with my dealer, they said they will look at it and do a "one time" fix if it is the pads.

I should not be getting squealing and steering wheel shimmy at 12k miles when I apply brakes at highway speeds, should I?? lol

Tires have been rotated at rec. and balanced/aligned etc. to eliminate that possibility.

If the brake issue isn't the problem my next step will be to get new rims and tires.

#13 ·
I would walk in to the dealership and tell them that you think your rotors are warped, and that you need new/cleaned brake pads.

According to Slippy thats where the squealing comes from.

#14 ·
Yeah The dealer said they would resurface. I think I will look at a better ceramic pad like slippery suggested until I upgrade wheels, then tackle the rotor issue at same time.

#15 ·
It really won't fix the problem. It's an inherent design flaw in the outsourcing of MMNA brakes that causes this crap to happen. Unfortunately... and fortunately for us, the only lasting solution is to go with aftermarket rotors. I don't believe there are any major problems with the calipers, but I can't really attest to that since I got rid of my stock brakes at...

hmmm... about a year/20,000mi? I don't remember.

See if the dealer will agree to getting aftermarket rotors, man. Demand it. And if not, go back with the same problem 14k mi after and demand it again. Just that you'd have wasted your time twice... :sad:

#17 ·
what... aloe vera beauty soap? :blush:

#18 ·
Well my steering wheel use to shake every time I hit my brakes, but I got my rotors re-surfaced and it completely took care of the problem. But the squeeling is driving me crazy. And the dealership won't do anything for free. I called a few different Mitsubishi Dealerships here and they all say that since the brakes are one of the things that do wear out - they will not fix the problem for free. So everybody that I ask about my brakes Squeeling doesn't have a clue what the problem could be. I'm so lost.

#19 ·
Hmmm... haven't revisited the issue since for a solution, to be honest. Does anyone know if replacing pads with aftermarkets helps resolve the issue any?

Anyone?

Also, Charlotte... I'd hate to say this but the only one true way to get the shimmying to disappear (as it will happen again, sadly)... is to replace the brake rotors with any aftermarket (OEM size will work with the factory calipers) ones. Or you could just opt to get something like an aftermarket brake kit :dunno: if you're daring, and are willing to spend on it.

Look up the AEM 4-pot MINI brake kits. Stock size calipers, but with better braking performance. I know that's not exactly the answer to your question, but just an option for future consideration :) Braking power will make you love your car much more - that's a promise.

Check the brake parts section of the PARTS forums for more info: http://club4g.org/board/brake-parts/

#21 ·
Body shop? :scratch:

#22 ·
I was under the impression they are just doing this on the 07s that were made after a certain date. I heard about the free pads through the dealer last month, made an appointment and they resurfaced and changed the pads for free. My 07 had 12,500 miles on it at the time and they still honored it. I was so tired of the squealing after a year and a half I was going to trade in my 4g for a new Lancer while waiting for my car to get done. Im really surprised it stopped all together, but it may begin again. You never know.

#23 ·
Art Moran Mitsubishi dealership said there is no recall even though when I search online there is 2 actual recalls that are shown just when I google 06 eclipse recalls. and BOTH are on the brakes. They resurfaced my rotors and sanded my pads and the problem seems to be gone but they didn't change the pad. They did it all for free and I'm still at 14k miles. If I have another problem I'll go back and show the part number I'm not sure how well it will work since the dealership is really stubborn. But yeah they should never EVER have to resurface rotors at only 14k miles, thats weird, and it was just the front rotors and when I asked them they said cars that have front and rear wheel brakes always squeal so I don't know, but I'm good so far.

#24 ·
Well I've called 5 different mitsubishi dealerships in and around Los Angeles, and they all say that brake inspection or anything done to the brakes is not covered. I have a full warranty on everything. But they said since the brakes are something that wears out, then they are not covered. Are any of you around Los Angeles and can tell me a dealership here to go to that would cover this??? My brakes are driving me crazy!! I even talked to a mitsubishi engineer 2 weeks ago and he said the problem cannot be fixed. So I dont know.

#25 ·
i am currently a test fitter for Akebono on our GT's...over 1,000 miles no dust no Squeal...I have their Tuner Pads..

Stay Tuned. Possible group buy..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.