Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  AiRmAn2281 
#1 ·
So nitrous has begun to sound more and more appealing to me, and I'm doing my homework to make the install go smooth. I'm hung up on one thing, finding the right wire to tap into for a tach signal for an RPM Window switch.

I guess on distributorless ignition you can just tap into the negative side of a coil? How would I go about that? Any suggestions? I'm off to the Factory Service Manual for more digging.................

#2 ·
May have found the answer, barring some tests. It would appear that the ground for each coil is a black/blue wire. If anyone can confirm or deny this for me that would be great. I will test it soon enough, just not in the mood to strip perfectly good wires to look for a tach signal..............

#3 ·
Over a year later and still no response. There has been talk that if you tap into the crank position wire, you can get a pulse every time the crank turns over. This is fine and dandy, unless it weakens that signal when you tap into it.

Window switch people, where are you getting a tach signal?

#5 ·
There's no true tach signal from a specific wire to the ecu. Its encoded, run through canbus, and then decoded at the instrument panel to represent true RPM from what I understand. This is what I gather from BrianJ's shift light project. I could be wrong, feel free to chime in and correct me.

#7 ·
You have to buy what is called a "tach adapter". These cars don't have an old school, typical tach signal to tap into...it's all don'e on a serial data line now. I make a tach adapter for $50, or, you can search the net for one...they usually go for $80-$90...

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.