I have a question Rough Start, Sometimes Stalling - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2019, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Acrux is on a distinguished road
Rough Start, Sometimes Stalling

Hey guys,

I've recently been having a problem with getting my 2011 Eclipse GS automatic to start. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or has any idea what the problem could be before I take it in to a mechanic.

When I start, the engine turns over and starts, but has a very rough idle and stalls out after a couple seconds.

If I press down the gas when starting, and rev it up to about 4-5k RPM then bring it back down, everything runs perfectly fine.

The problem also doesn't happen every time. It was consistent for a few days, and then stopped for a week. Yet again, it's back and causing problems.

I have tried unplugging the MAF with it running to see if maybe that was working, and it seems to be functioning fine as it just stops when unplugged.

I recently replaced the air filter just in case it was plugging up the air flow.

So now I'm down to thinking it could be IAC value not opening, Fuel pump, or Fuel pump relay.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Acrux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
NamelessFoe will become famous soon enough
any lights on the dash? Trying taking the pipe off the throttle body and take a peek inside and see if it's gummed up. Could be it just needs a cleaning. The Idle controller is built into the throttle body.
NamelessFoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2019, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessFoe View Post
any lights on the dash? Trying taking the pipe off the throttle body and take a peek inside and see if it's gummed up. Could be it just needs a cleaning. The Idle controller is built into the throttle body.
All the lights come on, so it doesn't seem to be a battery problem, and likely not an alternator problem either.

I cleaned out the IAC valve tonight, it didn't look gummed up or anything, but it was a little stiff opening at first.

I still ended up getting the same problems after cleaning though. So I'm thinking that's probably not it.

Any thoughts on the EGR valve? Also while I was working on it, I had a neighbor say he had a similar problem that ended up being a fuel injector stuck open.

Old September 6th, 2019, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Do u have a scan tool? Check engine light on?

Sounds like a fueling issue to me, clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, clogged injectors

My eclipse would sometimes die on the first start when I was running my E85 tune because the cranking enrichment wouldn’t put in enough fuel and E85 is harder to cold start

Do u buy your gas from a station that’s always busy and moving a lot of fuel? Do u get gas that has ethanol?
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrux View Post
All the lights come on, so it doesn't seem to be a battery problem, and likely not an alternator problem either.

I cleaned out the IAC valve tonight, it didn't look gummed up or anything, but it was a little stiff opening at first.

I still ended up getting the same problems after cleaning though. So I'm thinking that's probably not it.

Any thoughts on the EGR valve? Also while I was working on it, I had a neighbor say he had a similar problem that ended up being a fuel injector stuck open.
EGR could cause it too if it's stuck open at idle, where it should be closed for cold start. Fuel injector also could cause rough idle, but usually you would get a misfire. Smell the oil and see if it smells like gas, dead giveaway if your injector is stuck open. Has it ever stalled or idled rough when restarting the car from taking it somewhere, like a run to the store. If it's only when it's cold you most likely have vacuum leak. If it does this whether the car is hot or cold, than you most likely have a fueling or spark issue.
Old September 7th, 2019, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessFoe View Post
EGR could cause it too if it's stuck open at idle, where it should be closed for cold start. Fuel injector also could cause rough idle, but usually you would get a misfire. Smell the oil and see if it smells like gas, dead giveaway if your injector is stuck open. Has it ever stalled or idled rough when restarting the car from taking it somewhere, like a run to the store. If it's only when it's cold you most likely have vacuum leak. If it does this whether the car is hot or cold, than you most likely have a fueling or spark issue.
Thanks for the Info, I'll check the oil to be sure.

When I take it out, if I'm gone for a couple minutes it will usually start fine. If it's longer than that then generally it will still have the problem.

I haven't heard a single misfire so far, but I'll be checking the electrical stuff this weekend.
Old September 8th, 2019, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

New update,

I've tried unplugging my MAF again and the car does still run with it unplugged. It initially tries to stall out, but then it picks up again and runs almost normally.

I can also hear the clicking from my fuel pump when the key is first turned. I'm not sure if that indicates it is okay or just that the electrical is okay.

I also tested the relays and they are all operating properly.

So at this point I'm going to find the EGR value and clean that out before I go forward with either fuel injectors or fuel pump.
Old September 8th, 2019, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

The car should stall if you unplug the maf while it's running.
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Another Update,

I picked up a used MAF and installed it. The exact same behavior is occurring. So unless they are both busted I'm guessing that may not be the problem. Without it plugged in I can't get it to even start so I'm guessing the wiring is good as well.

I did however get another code after driving for a bit.

P0455, what are the chances this was causing my problem? My fuel cap may be busted and not letting the engine build enough fuel pressure?
Old September 11th, 2019, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I just fixed this issue on my TT. It was the fuel pump getting weak (couldn't go beyond 15psi of boost, plus the symptoms you have, and it was sporadic. Acted best when it was really cold out)

Not putting the fuel cap on won't prevent the pump from making pressure, they're unrelated systems

It doesn't sound like a MAF issue

It doesn't sound like an EGR issue

It doesn't sound like an EVAP issue

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, so it looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and do a fuel pump replacement.
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It's actually really easy to do, so don't worry about that. You pull out the rear seat bottom, and there's an access to the tank. So you don't have to drop it even

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
It's actually really easy to do, so don't worry about that. You pull out the rear seat bottom, and there's an access to the tank. So you don't have to drop it even
Speaking of fuel pump access
After switching back to my regular gas tune from that E85 tune I was running, I’ve got P0171 and P0174 lean codes for both banks, think I need to replace the fuel filter sock?
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Basically Stock

The fact that changing map and fuel back to gasoline triggered the codes makes me think else wise. But ethanol really would clean out the tank and loosen all rust if you had any, which would get caught.

It's the cheapest direction to go, and it is nice maintenance either way, but I don't have any solid grounding to say it's the fuel sock or that it can't be

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
The fact that changing map and fuel back to gasoline triggered the codes makes me think else wise. But ethanol really would clean out the tank and loosen all rust if you had any, which would get caught.

It's the cheapest direction to go, and it is nice maintenance either way, but I don't have any solid grounding to say it's the fuel sock or that it can't be
Well when I flashed the map back, I started the car, to make sure it ran, then I used Fastworks to reset all learned data in the PCM, then I reset all codes, then I even used my Autel full system scan tool to reset all codes in every single module

I got lean codes on that tank of gas, figured there was still too much E85 mixed in, so I got it super low and then completely refilled the tank with more gas, later I reset the codes, but they’re back again
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I just fixed this issue on my TT. It was the fuel pump getting weak (couldn't go beyond 15psi of boost, plus the symptoms you have, and it was sporadic. Acted best when it was really cold out)

Not putting the fuel cap on won't prevent the pump from making pressure, they're unrelated systems

It doesn't sound like a MAF issue

It doesn't sound like an EGR issue

It doesn't sound like an EVAP issue

Is it because the returnless setup? Usually a failing fuel pump would be long crank to build pressure or misfire/lean while driving.
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Basically Stock

TT is full return, and did act that way

Another option here is the fuel pressure regulator.

Both of which, a fuel pressure gauge would be required to properly test

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old September 14th, 2019, 06:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Good to know. Only had a fuel pump fail on my old eclipse, just cranked til the cows came home before it would start. When you would try to floor it, it wouldn't go anywhere.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

So I replaced the fuel pump and I've still got the same problem...

At this point it looks like I'm going to have to take it into the shop.

Tags
2011, 2011 eclipse, air, air filter, art, automatic, back, eclipse, eclipse gs, engine, filter, fuel, fuel pump, gas, idle, maf, mechanic, problem, problems, pump, relay, rough, start, starting, working

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in