Future turbo kit discussion - Page 2 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2020, 10:23 PM   #41 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I have twin Walbro 525 pumps that should hold out to 1200whp on E98 before seeing anything less than 60psi head pressure from the injectors into the manifold. One will be triggered with a Hobbs switch and a relay, the other with a relay off the OEM fuel pump wiring

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2020, 05:30 PM   #42 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
If you are completly sure our bone stock internals can handle a turbo then im in. I would like 5-7psi of boost to hear the bov with every shift. I kind of decided to end the friendly car rivalry i had with my younger brother cause everytime I tell him i beat a car he either says the other driver wasnt trying or the car I beat was slow to begin with. If you come up with the set up I would rather you pick the parts needed since you are more savvy at that than I am but I would like to get my hands dirty and do the install myself as I have with every mod in my car except welding the exhaust.
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 24th, 2020, 09:48 AM   #43 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparda D'Mon View Post
If you are completly sure our bone stock internals can handle a turbo then im in. I would like 5-7psi of boost to hear the bov with every shift. I kind of decided to end the friendly car rivalry i had with my younger brother cause everytime I tell him i beat a car he either says the other driver wasnt trying or the car I beat was slow to begin with. If you come up with the set up I would rather you pick the parts needed since you are more savvy at that than I am but I would like to get my hands dirty and do the install myself as I have with every mod in my car except welding the exhaust.
I run 12 psi on my completely stock block
My boost cut is set to 12.5 psi in the tune, no issues at all been like that for 2 years now

Old March 24th, 2020, 04:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I'm concerned about the boost cut in Fastworks.

I hit cold boost cut, and that happened to be the second that my engine died. That was 3psi boost, around 3000rpm, low throttle. I was just about to shift gears, hit boost cut, and then my motor began to knock.

It works by cutting fuel, which is standard... But I'm still afraid of it, based off my experience

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 24th, 2020, 04:44 PM   #45 (permalink)
Gamer

cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
I'm concerned about the boost cut in Fastworks.

I hit cold boost cut, and that happened to be the second that my engine died. That was 3psi boost, around 3000rpm, low throttle. I was just about to shift gears, hit boost cut, and then my motor began to knock.

It works by cutting fuel, which is standard... But I'm still afraid of it, based off my experience
I understand that, I'm always super slow on throttle when car is cold,
Also my boost controller is set to 12.5 PSI, So once I hit that, it drops down to 11.5, and works back up and holds at 12 psi
Old March 24th, 2020, 05:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
Basically Stock

That's an odd way for it to do it. Mine's set for 16psi, and just holds 16psi. Is your gate opening too late? I have my gate set to crack at 10psi

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 24th, 2020, 05:22 PM   #47 (permalink)
Gamer

Quote:
That's an odd way for it to do it. Mine's set for 16psi, and just holds 16psi. Is your gate opening too late? I have my gate set to crack at 10psi
I have mine set that way, because I was getting really bad boost spikes, helps relieve it
Old March 24th, 2020, 09:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

12psi sounds good but im not looking to be fast. I dont understand this boost cut... is it like a rev limiter?
Old March 24th, 2020, 10:38 PM   #49 (permalink)
Basically Stock

What it means is that you set a boost pressure where the car will cut all power, to prevent overboosting to a dangerous level. Eg, if oyu want to stay at 12psi, set your boost cut to 13. If it hits 13 because something went wrong, it'll cut power, and won't overboost

I have my ECU boost cut set to 14psi cold, and no limit hot. I also have an electronic boost controller. On my default setting when I turn the car on, it just does 10psi. On my second setting, it's set to do 16psi, and cut to 10psi if I hit 18.5psi.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 25th, 2020, 12:48 AM   #50 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

I thought the BOV got rid of the extra boost that could endanger the engine. Or was i mislead by a guy in a pick up using a leaf blower to boost his truck? I guess boost cut is the proper method.
Old March 25th, 2020, 06:44 AM   #51 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparda D'Mon View Post
I thought the BOV got rid of the extra boost that could endanger the engine. Or was i mislead by a guy in a pick up using a leaf blower to boost his truck? I guess boost cut is the proper method.
Ok so there’s the wastegate, blow off or bypass diverter valve, and the boost controller (bleeder valve or solenoid)

So the turbo spools up and would spin too much and overboost the engine, so the wastegate arm is pushed open at spring pressure to open the wastegate and let extra boost escape, the boost controller holds extra boost between the turbo and the wastegate to allow you to hold more boost than the wastegate spring allows, the blow off or bypass valve is mounted on your charge intake pipe after the turbo so that when you let off the throttle and the throttle plate snaps closed, the boost escapes through it so that it doesn’t blow a charge pipe connection off or try to spin the turbo backwards as the boosted air has nowhere to go when the throttle plate closes and needs to escape, a blowoff valve just dumps this to the atmosphere where a bypass diverted dumps it back into the intake, usually used on MAF cars where the air has already been measured by the MAF

A boost cut in the ECU is a failover catch in case any of these devices failed and caused an overboost, the MAP sensor sees this and the ECU cuts fuel, it’s not something you want to do

Last edited by pcfreak4; March 25th, 2020 at 06:46 AM.
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2020, 08:06 AM   #52 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I'd like to add for clarity that the turbo is spun up by exhaust flow, and that the wastegate diverts excess exhaust flow to prevent it from building too much pressure. It's a constantly variable amount of flow needed, so the actuator that opens the gate is controlled by a diaphragm that pushes against a spring, and is supplied air pressure from the intake manifold

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 25th, 2020, 05:48 PM   #53 (permalink)

On my WRX there’s a nipple on the turbo housing, and that goes to your boost controller input port, then the boost controller output port connects to the wastegate nipple, the wastegate spring open at like 8 psi so to do say 15 psi total you need to set the boost controller to hold another 7 psi before allowing the air to travel to the wastegate where the 8 psi is required to open the wastegate

A 3 port boost controller has a 3rd line that connects to the intake before the turbo after the MAF and can allow air to travel through that as well, I forget exactly how that works though
Old March 25th, 2020, 06:13 PM   #54 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

I get it now. It took abit to figure out what you two were saying but i got it. Im guessing the extra air on the third port that goes into the intake after the MAF is so the sensor doesnt read that extra air but if it doesnt read it wouldnt the air/fuel mixture be more lean?
Old March 25th, 2020, 06:55 PM   #55 (permalink)

Yeah just like a bypass valve dumps the air back into the intake after MAF, because the air has already been metered
Old April 9th, 2020, 11:38 AM   #56 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

EGR delete is mentioned above. Do NA builds benefit from that?
Old April 9th, 2020, 11:43 AM   #57 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Nope. It's not taken out for power or fuel economy gains (probably hurts fuel economy to remove).

It's taken out to prevent cylinder 4 pistons exploding from excess heat from the turbo setup

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old April 13th, 2020, 01:14 AM   #58 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Got it! Could a bad EGR cause rough idle?
Old April 13th, 2020, 08:35 AM   #59 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Not usually. It'll run hot stuck open, but will pass the flow checks so no code.

Cruising and idling, it should be open anyway. Check for vacuum leaks

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old April 15th, 2020, 07:20 PM   #60 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Quote:
Not usually. It'll run hot stuck open, but will pass the flow checks so no code.

Cruising and idling, it should be open anyway. Check for vacuum leaks
Is there a method you use to check for vacuum leaks?
Old April 15th, 2020, 09:29 PM   #61 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I actually use a boost leak tester to find vacuum leaks. You can make one dirt cheap

A Schrader valve, plumbing cap, silicone coupler, and gear clamps. You basically just make a clamp on cap for the intake pipe, or wherever you're gonna use. Then, add pressure with the oil cap off. You'll hear leaks

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old April 15th, 2020, 10:34 PM   #62 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Pressure? Pump air into the valve? Excuse my ignorance. Engine off, right? I assume that im searching for the same air going in leaking out?
Old April 15th, 2020, 10:46 PM   #63 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Engine off, you pressurize the intake and hoses.

Air then leaks out from any leak spots

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Tags
gs turbo, kit, thread, turbo, turbo kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in