Future turbo kit discussion - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2019, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Future turbo kit discussion

Here's a link to the official discussion for the upcoming GS turbo kit

Upcoming GS Turbo Kit | 4G World

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2019, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 will become famous soon enough
Any info on a potential price range for this kit?
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 2nd, 2019, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Totally depends on what people want to be included in the kit. I could have everything except an oil pan.

I'd like to keep discussion about it on the other forum though. Autoguide owns this forum, and I've got no interest in promoting things here, and won't be selling it directly from here either. They'd want a cut, and want me to pay to be a vendor.

There are so many reasons to migrate over that autoguide gives us. I don't want to run this forum anymore either. They limit what I can do so much for you guys

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Old October 2nd, 2019, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Could u pm me a round about price real quick?
Old October 3rd, 2019, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I don't have any pricing figured out, so unfortunately not.

First is finding what people want included, and how much they're willing to source themselves. Eg, eBay piping kits and intercoolers if they want, so I won't have to put in a $400 intercooler.

Second is that I have to pick out all the parts, and it has to be a totally complete list, and have to price it all out with Velocity (it'll be cheaper than buying the parts not as a kit). Part choices will vary a bit based off of what will do the same job for less money.

Then I'll add them up.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mits Man

Name: Izzy
Vehicle: 2010 Eclipse GS Sport A/T
yungbawss is on a distinguished road
I have very little knowledge when it comes to turbos... So I'm hoping to just buy this kit, bring it to a local performance shop, and have them set it up.

From what I understand though, turbos require you to rebuild the engine to some degree. So my question is this- outside of the cost of the kit, what will I be looking at for labor costs?
yungbawss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 4th, 2019, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungbawss View Post
I have very little knowledge when it comes to turbos... So I'm hoping to just buy this kit, bring it to a local performance shop, and have them set it up.

From what I understand though, turbos require you to rebuild the engine to some degree. So my question is this- outside of the cost of the kit, what will I be looking at for labor costs?
Honestly our 4G69 is pretty strong, considering the bottom block of the engine is the same as a 4G63/4G64 with larger bored pistons so we have a 2.4 not a 2.0, same as the engines used in the Evo 8 and 9, and Eclipse 2G turbo’s, just that those were DOHC with no valve timing and our 4G69 head is SOHC with valve timing

So all in all, it’s a pretty strong engine, at least the block, th head might be a little weaker, but still plenty stronger than any average run of the mill car

I’m sure it could handle 10 psi easy

U need the proper tuning tho if u go turbo for sure, Hackish has turbo specific maps that were brought over from the Evo X if I’m not mistaken
Old October 4th, 2019, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...eferences.html
Old October 4th, 2019, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

4G69 block and 4G63 block are almost identical BLOCK wise (the block casting), HOWEVER, the rods and pistons should not be compared. The pistons, rods, and bearings in the 63 block will DEFINITELY hold up better than '69 pistons, rods and bearings. 4G69 rods are quite thin, and are lighter than 63 rods to lower parasitic load inside the motor, but does not help with added stresses.

That being said, for a 300-350hp setup, tuned well, the stock block has been shown to hold out fine.

Head wise, there isn't much of anything to go wrong. Aside from having too much exhaust heat and melting a valve, or over revving the head, there isn't much to be changed. The valve material we use is a common upgrade on 600hp VW 1.8L turbo engines, and the valve springs we have are about 20% stiffer than the 4G63 head has.

Not that it matters much, but evo 9 have VVT

That cross reference guide does NOT mean that the 4G69 USESthe same parts. It means that the parts are interchangeable and CAN be used when rebuilding a 4G69. When comparing to 4G63 parts, it's important to note they were refering to the 7 bolt 4G63, not the 6 bolt. 6 bolt has some differences, and not all parts between a 6 bolt and 7 bolt can even be swapped.

As for labour costs, it'll be down to your shop. I'd suggest doing it in the driveway over a weekend if you can though. Knowing how it all goes together, it would be a day's job in a driveway. A shop could overcharge you pretty good considering it's custom work

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old December 29th, 2019, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

4g_jayson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungbawss View Post

Honestly our 4G69 is pretty strong, considering the bottom block of the engine is the same as a 4G63/4G64 with larger bored pistons so we have a 2.4 not a 2.0, same as the engines used in the Evo 8 and 9, and Eclipse 2G turbo’s, just that those were DOHC with no valve timing and our 4G69 head is SOHC with valve timing

So all in all, it’s a pretty strong engine, at least the block, th head might be a little weaker, but still plenty stronger than any average run of the mill car

I’m sure it could handle 10 psi easy

U need the proper tuning tho if u go turbo for sure, Hackish has turbo specific maps that were brought over from the Evo X if I’m not mistaken
As far as the heads go, cant you just swap in a Evo 8 or 9 head or theres always going building it or do they not offer any parts or companies out there that build the 4G69 heads? I don’t know much about the 4g69s I myself have a 6g75🤔🤔. I’m interested in this because I had plans on selling my 4G GT V6 after I was done with it to get a Evo 8 or 9 but if the 4G GS is basically a FWD Evo then, you got my attention
4g_jayson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2019, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Basically Stock

You could use an evo 8 or 9 head. But the tuning side sucks, and it flows worse than a 4G69, and it has worse PCV.

And nobody sells pre-built 4G69 heads, but I'm positive a shop will build one if asked. I'm staying 4G69 head on my goal for 1000whp. The only downside is loss of low end power. Top end, it should be quite a lot of advantage. So if I only make 200lb-ft of torque at 3000rpm, boo hoo. 600 at 8500rpm will be worth it

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old December 30th, 2019, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

4g_jayson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
You could use an evo 8 or 9 head. But the tuning side sucks, and it flows worse than a 4G69, and it has worse PCV.

And nobody sells pre-built 4G69 heads, but I'm positive a shop will build one if asked. I'm staying 4G69 head on my goal for 1000whp. The only downside is loss of low end power. Top end, it should be quite a lot of advantage. So if I only make 200lb-ft of torque at 3000rpm, boo hoo. 600 at 8500rpm will be worth it
Damn after I’m done with my NA build, I’m probably going to send up selling it and going 4g69 and probably shoot for 400-500whp then, what am I looking at? 255 Fuel pump, injectors, different pistons, and rods, crank is going to have to be pulled and balanced. What else 🤔🤔??
4g_jayson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2019, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Just drop in a Walbro 450, it'll give you all the fueling and be way understressed and longer lasting than a 255. 1000cc injectors, wiseco 4G63 stroker pistons (87.5mm), Brian Crower rods, stock crank with zero work at all done to it, fresh bearings would be nice, and an ~0.5mm overbore. The reason to go 87.5mm on the pistons is so you can set proper piston-wall clearance to not have piston slap issues and massive blowby.

Head wise, rumor is the stock exhaust valves won't handle it, but I'll find out... I can't find anyone having actually melted one, and from what I've seen, they're already inconel alloy from the factory. Stock motor with a GT35 has definitely done 500whp before, but whether it's safe or not is another question.

An EGR delete is almost definitely needed, as from what I gather, every destroyed piston on a boosted 4G69 is cylinder 4, and cylinder 4 has the EGR feed. With the EGR, the EGT are significantly higher on cylinder 4 as well as measured on multiple 4G69 with it, and without it, it's the about same temperature as the others (as measured at the runners, pre turbo)

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Tags
gs turbo, kit, thread, turbo, turbo kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in