Future turbo kit discussion - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2019, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Future turbo kit discussion

Here's a link to the official discussion for the upcoming GS turbo kit

Upcoming GS Turbo Kit | 4G World

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 will become famous soon enough
Any info on a potential price range for this kit?
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Totally depends on what people want to be included in the kit. I could have everything except an oil pan.

I'd like to keep discussion about it on the other forum though. Autoguide owns this forum, and I've got no interest in promoting things here, and won't be selling it directly from here either. They'd want a cut, and want me to pay to be a vendor.

There are so many reasons to migrate over that autoguide gives us. I don't want to run this forum anymore either. They limit what I can do so much for you guys

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Old October 2nd, 2019, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Could u pm me a round about price real quick?
Old October 3rd, 2019, 02:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I don't have any pricing figured out, so unfortunately not.

First is finding what people want included, and how much they're willing to source themselves. Eg, eBay piping kits and intercoolers if they want, so I won't have to put in a $400 intercooler.

Second is that I have to pick out all the parts, and it has to be a totally complete list, and have to price it all out with Velocity (it'll be cheaper than buying the parts not as a kit). Part choices will vary a bit based off of what will do the same job for less money.

Then I'll add them up.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old October 4th, 2019, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mits Man

Name: Izzy
Vehicle: 2010 Eclipse GS Sport A/T
yungbawss is on a distinguished road
I have very little knowledge when it comes to turbos... So I'm hoping to just buy this kit, bring it to a local performance shop, and have them set it up.

From what I understand though, turbos require you to rebuild the engine to some degree. So my question is this- outside of the cost of the kit, what will I be looking at for labor costs?
yungbawss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 4th, 2019, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungbawss View Post
I have very little knowledge when it comes to turbos... So I'm hoping to just buy this kit, bring it to a local performance shop, and have them set it up.

From what I understand though, turbos require you to rebuild the engine to some degree. So my question is this- outside of the cost of the kit, what will I be looking at for labor costs?
Honestly our 4G69 is pretty strong, considering the bottom block of the engine is the same as a 4G63/4G64 with larger bored pistons so we have a 2.4 not a 2.0, same as the engines used in the Evo 8 and 9, and Eclipse 2G turbo’s, just that those were DOHC with no valve timing and our 4G69 head is SOHC with valve timing

So all in all, it’s a pretty strong engine, at least the block, th head might be a little weaker, but still plenty stronger than any average run of the mill car

I’m sure it could handle 10 psi easy

U need the proper tuning tho if u go turbo for sure, Hackish has turbo specific maps that were brought over from the Evo X if I’m not mistaken
Old October 4th, 2019, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...eferences.html
Old October 4th, 2019, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

4G69 block and 4G63 block are almost identical BLOCK wise (the block casting), HOWEVER, the rods and pistons should not be compared. The pistons, rods, and bearings in the 63 block will DEFINITELY hold up better than '69 pistons, rods and bearings. 4G69 rods are quite thin, and are lighter than 63 rods to lower parasitic load inside the motor, but does not help with added stresses.

That being said, for a 300-350hp setup, tuned well, the stock block has been shown to hold out fine.

Head wise, there isn't much of anything to go wrong. Aside from having too much exhaust heat and melting a valve, or over revving the head, there isn't much to be changed. The valve material we use is a common upgrade on 600hp VW 1.8L turbo engines, and the valve springs we have are about 20% stiffer than the 4G63 head has.

Not that it matters much, but evo 9 have VVT

That cross reference guide does NOT mean that the 4G69 USESthe same parts. It means that the parts are interchangeable and CAN be used when rebuilding a 4G69. When comparing to 4G63 parts, it's important to note they were refering to the 7 bolt 4G63, not the 6 bolt. 6 bolt has some differences, and not all parts between a 6 bolt and 7 bolt can even be swapped.

As for labour costs, it'll be down to your shop. I'd suggest doing it in the driveway over a weekend if you can though. Knowing how it all goes together, it would be a day's job in a driveway. A shop could overcharge you pretty good considering it's custom work

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old December 29th, 2019, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

4g_jayson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungbawss View Post

Honestly our 4G69 is pretty strong, considering the bottom block of the engine is the same as a 4G63/4G64 with larger bored pistons so we have a 2.4 not a 2.0, same as the engines used in the Evo 8 and 9, and Eclipse 2G turbo’s, just that those were DOHC with no valve timing and our 4G69 head is SOHC with valve timing

So all in all, it’s a pretty strong engine, at least the block, th head might be a little weaker, but still plenty stronger than any average run of the mill car

I’m sure it could handle 10 psi easy

U need the proper tuning tho if u go turbo for sure, Hackish has turbo specific maps that were brought over from the Evo X if I’m not mistaken
As far as the heads go, cant you just swap in a Evo 8 or 9 head or theres always going building it or do they not offer any parts or companies out there that build the 4G69 heads? I don’t know much about the 4g69s I myself have a 6g75🤔🤔. I’m interested in this because I had plans on selling my 4G GT V6 after I was done with it to get a Evo 8 or 9 but if the 4G GS is basically a FWD Evo then, you got my attention
4g_jayson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2019, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Basically Stock

You could use an evo 8 or 9 head. But the tuning side sucks, and it flows worse than a 4G69, and it has worse PCV.

And nobody sells pre-built 4G69 heads, but I'm positive a shop will build one if asked. I'm staying 4G69 head on my goal for 1000whp. The only downside is loss of low end power. Top end, it should be quite a lot of advantage. So if I only make 200lb-ft of torque at 3000rpm, boo hoo. 600 at 8500rpm will be worth it

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old December 30th, 2019, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
You could use an evo 8 or 9 head. But the tuning side sucks, and it flows worse than a 4G69, and it has worse PCV.

And nobody sells pre-built 4G69 heads, but I'm positive a shop will build one if asked. I'm staying 4G69 head on my goal for 1000whp. The only downside is loss of low end power. Top end, it should be quite a lot of advantage. So if I only make 200lb-ft of torque at 3000rpm, boo hoo. 600 at 8500rpm will be worth it
Damn after I’m done with my NA build, I’m probably going to send up selling it and going 4g69 and probably shoot for 400-500whp then, what am I looking at? 255 Fuel pump, injectors, different pistons, and rods, crank is going to have to be pulled and balanced. What else 🤔🤔??
Old December 30th, 2019, 07:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Just drop in a Walbro 450, it'll give you all the fueling and be way understressed and longer lasting than a 255. 1000cc injectors, wiseco 4G63 stroker pistons (87.5mm), Brian Crower rods, stock crank with zero work at all done to it, fresh bearings would be nice, and an ~0.5mm overbore. The reason to go 87.5mm on the pistons is so you can set proper piston-wall clearance to not have piston slap issues and massive blowby.

Head wise, rumor is the stock exhaust valves won't handle it, but I'll find out... I can't find anyone having actually melted one, and from what I've seen, they're already inconel alloy from the factory. Stock motor with a GT35 has definitely done 500whp before, but whether it's safe or not is another question.

An EGR delete is almost definitely needed, as from what I gather, every destroyed piston on a boosted 4G69 is cylinder 4, and cylinder 4 has the EGR feed. With the EGR, the EGT are significantly higher on cylinder 4 as well as measured on multiple 4G69 with it, and without it, it's the about same temperature as the others (as measured at the runners, pre turbo)

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 23rd, 2020, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Brandon
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
Sleeping-Ana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just drop in a Walbro 450, it'll give you all the fueling and be way understressed and longer lasting than a 255. 1000cc injectors, wiseco 4G63 stroker pistons (87.5mm), Brian Crower rods, stock crank with zero work at all done to it, fresh bearings would be nice, and an ~0.5mm overbore. The reason to go 87.5mm on the pistons is so you can set proper piston-wall clearance to not have piston slap issues and massive blowby.

Head wise, rumor is the stock exhaust valves won't handle it, but I'll find out... I can't find anyone having actually melted one, and from what I've seen, they're already inconel alloy from the factory. Stock motor with a GT35 has definitely done 500whp before, but whether it's safe or not is another question.

An EGR delete is almost definitely needed, as from what I gather, every destroyed piston on a boosted 4G69 is cylinder 4, and cylinder 4 has the EGR feed. With the EGR, the EGT are significantly higher on cylinder 4 as well as measured on multiple 4G69 with it, and without it, it's the about same temperature as the others (as measured at the runners, pre turbo)

With all this stuff added onto just the 4G69, with a really good tune can possibly reach around 400-500whp all motor? Or are you saying with a turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sleeping-Ana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 23rd, 2020, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping-Ana View Post
With all this stuff added onto just the 4G69, with a really good tune can possibly reach around 400-500whp all motor? Or are you saying with a turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes probably but is your car automatic or manual first off
Old February 23rd, 2020, 07:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Oh, definitely turbo. NA, you'd be lucky to get 300whp with custom head work, a built high compression block, custom intake manifold, and high flowing 4-1 header even.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old February 23rd, 2020, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, definitely turbo. NA, you'd be lucky to get 300whp with custom head work, a built high compression block, custom intake manifold, and high flowing 4-1 header even.
I thought he meant could the engine handle that power with those upgrades, yes probably haha

But yeah definitely need a turbo for anything that high lol
Old February 29th, 2020, 04:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Cora
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse Spyder Gt
DimndGrl86 is on a distinguished road
I have someone working on manifolds for 6g75 Turbo installation. We are looking for more people interested to cut down some costs.
DimndGrl86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 29th, 2020, 04:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

And oopsie if I wasn’t supposed to post that here lol
Old February 29th, 2020, 05:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Yep, Alex is working on GT ones too now

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 1st, 2020, 12:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

That’s who I contacted lol and he told me to round up people! Lmao
Old March 1st, 2020, 05:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Basically Stock

He's a friend of mine. We do tuning stuff and design together. We actually are both reps for the same company selling parts too, hahaha.

The design process he uses for his turbo manifolds is based off of how I built mine, patient zero, I guess, of this style of manifold for the Eclipse

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 2nd, 2020, 06:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimndGrl86 View Post
I have someone working on manifolds for 6g75 Turbo installation. We are looking for more people interested to cut down some costs.
That’s sick, if I end up keeping my 4G GT for a few more years then I’ll pull the plug, but currently I’m FBOs no tune. Here in the next few days I will be getting Slotted & Drill rotors Front and back and StopTech “Sport” Pads for the Front and “Street” pads for the rear I was thinking about doing SS lines but I’m going to put that on hold for now. I NOW forsure if I want to go boost I need to go CUSTOM idk where I would even start on 6g75
Old March 2nd, 2020, 07:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Skip the drilled rotors. It's like going to smaller brakes, with less surface area, more prone to heat fade, and they also like to crack easily from high heat, or thermal shock.

Drilled and slotted are not performance rotors, they're a scam, and not used on the track by anything competitive

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 2nd, 2020, 08:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Shizahoffa is on a distinguished road
I wanted to go turbo originally and had it planned out for a rear mounted one song with a front mounted. Instead, I found a supercharger for cheap. However, I do have custom valves and springs along with a can regained for my heads with a complete port and polish all the way through. For my block, I am getting it built with oversized Low compression pistons and rings, polished and balanced crank, new connecting rods, a whole block rebuilt kit, and having it honed and sleeved along with bored for the bigger pistons.

With that said, I can go pretty high boost so I was wondering about still doing some kind of turbo setup for the top end. I’m sure tuning would be a nightmare for Michael, but I would like to know if I could mount the turbo on the rear manifold with this kit coming out or if it’s just the front. If not, I can always try to go the route where I just put the turbo on the exhaust kind of like RRE did. I think it would be pretty bad ass for a turbo and supercharger on the 6G.

Any thought?
Shizahoffa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 3rd, 2020, 09:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I don't think tuning it would be anywhere near as complex as you think

And I would be willing to check out prices to see if my wholesaler can beat the rates for you, I'd like to see another twin charged V6 out there (there's also a triple charged one, SC, T, N). You're gonna want to look into a BIG turbo to see any gains by keeping your SC

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 4th, 2020, 02:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

That’s a relief!! Yeah I want to make it happen for sure. My block is almost done so while I’ll have the engine out and space, putting in a turbo on the exhaust would be easier. Now, would I need a second intercooler for the turbo? Some guys are telling me yes and others are telling me no. But I was thinking yes and then have a y split with one entry coming from the turbo and one entry coming from the supercharger both going into the throttle body. Routing it might be a pain but I believe it to be doable.

Triple charge sounds pretty bad ass I might throw on a 50 shot if I get it to work just for fun then! I was going to go nos and do a big shot with the supercharger but a turbo for the top end would be pretty nice. Regardless, everything other than the supercharger is unnecessary but yeah I want to try and make it happen with a turbo.

Do you think a manifold would be better or a turbo mounted on the exhaust a little further down? Some were saying trying to use an after market turbo manifold from a 3g or the 3k but it all comes down to room room room, and there’s not a lot of it
Old March 4th, 2020, 08:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I think the lag of rear mount will be removed by your supercharger mainly, plus you could do a 50 shot before it hits boost threshold if it didn't (don't use boost and nitrous at the same time)

As for intercoolers, I feel that separate may work a little better, as you'll have the pressure in the intake system pushing back on the supercharger, which won't be able to hold the pressure, and will leak. Separate intercoolers will at least lessen the amount of air going through the intercooler used by the turbo twice, which is going to be your main one for heat, as it'll be higher pressure.

You could use a small one for the supercharger, and a larger for the turbo. But I feel that gains may be very small. I don't have any testing, as I avoid superchargers quite strongly on everything and anything. I'd rather give a 50 shot to get a turbo to spool if it really had to spool a couple thousand RPM earlier (from a roll race or on a circuit, boost threshold RPM isn't worth much)

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 9th, 2020, 05:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks “ Sabertooth^2 “ I’m was just about to pull the plug on them, but I won’t and instead will go the just Slotted ones, I found a set on eBay for $16x w/ free shipping, I already have the StopTech “Sport” & “Street” pads coming in today, and I would LOVE to go rear mounted turbo on mines ever since I heard the RRE one I fell in love and didn’t think it was possible. How would I go about doing setup like that? And how much is the stock 6g75 MiVec able to hold before it blows up?? 🤔
Old March 9th, 2020, 11:43 AM   #30 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Remember, brakes are what stops you in normal driving, but also emergencies. You typically get what you pay for, and I'm not comfortable with a set of $16 Chinese brake rotors to save your life.

As for turbo, you could probably do it for $2500 if you did it all yourself and bought a used turbo

Engine wise, being high compression, octane is more the limiting factor. I've seen 450hp a bunch of times on street gas, but I'm positive race fuel could do more

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 9th, 2020, 07:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

Ok I have a pretty big intercooler for the supercharger but yeah if I do decide to go with a turbo as well then I’ll get a smaller one for the supercharger. I just wanted a big one in case I lost a few Pounds of boost after it eventually gets into the intake manifold.

Once I get my block back and slap on the racing heads and get the supercharger on and get it on a Dyno after Michael tunes it, I’ll decide if I want to turbo. I’m going to do a small shot of NOS for sure because I already have a wet ZEX kit and I want to have at most 75 pounds of boost in case I need a little extra to get me to the next hundred horsepower. My goal is 450- 500 at the wheels because I still want to try and daily it and have it be ultimately reliable.

I will be running it on street gas for the most part. Don’t think I’d change it much to run on less than the 91. And I’d be too lazy to do e85 if I’m going to be completely honest haha.
Old March 9th, 2020, 09:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Nitrous significantly ups the octane need. It's not usually used with boost, and if so, usually only in extremely low boost situations, or on very high octane fuel at low compression.

Typically, it's used before boost comes on, to add some airflow to spool a turbo quicker, or reach the threshold RPM sooner

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 11th, 2020, 07:34 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Remember, brakes are what stops you in normal driving, but also emergencies. You typically get what you pay for, and I'm not comfortable with a set of $16 Chinese brake rotors to save your life.

As for turbo, you could probably do it for $2500 if you did it all yourself and bought a used turbo

Engine wise, being high compression, octane is more the limiting factor. I've seen 450hp a bunch of times on street gas, but I'm positive race fuel could do more

I meant $160 dollars may bad but I’m going to pull the plug on the Slotted rotors
Old March 11th, 2020, 07:40 PM   #34 (permalink)

Sabertooth^2 $2500 for rear mounted turbo setup? And by my own turbo what do you mean a small one big one ? And how much can the stock internals of the 6g75 MiVec hold? And would a stock Evo X turbo work fine ? For say 350-400 whp
Old March 12th, 2020, 07:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Yes, $2500, if you did all your own welding, made your own flanges, made your own intake piping (or used eBay kits), eBay intercooler (they're honestly fine), bought a used turbo (not an evo X turbo though, as the AR will be totally wrong and it'll make far less power safely than a larger turbo would. I'd put it on a GS safer than a GT at that power level)

I don't think you'd have any issues spooling a GT3582 turbo for daily driving and quick response. I also think anything less than that size would be a bit of a waste for the GT, and put undue stress on it for the power level. It'll give you more power per PSI than an evo turbo would, be safer, run with much less heat, and would allow you to crank the boost up if you ever wanted to raise your power comfortably into the 550whp area (which you probably will)

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 15th, 2020, 07:05 AM   #36 (permalink)

Sabertooth^2 That’s not bad at all then, if I end up getting that turbo, how much can the STOCK INTERNALS of the 6g75 Handel???
Old March 15th, 2020, 07:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I haven't seen anyone use race gas, so I've never seen over 450hp. It's high compression, so it's quite octane limited.

Race fuels and methanol injection would help, but I think the 450 was with meth

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 15th, 2020, 12:34 PM   #38 (permalink)

That’s with stock internals for the GT V6 ???
Old March 15th, 2020, 01:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Yes. Lower compression pistons would help. Not using a tiny turbo for the application also helps significantly, and tuning in torque delay always helps with thin rods.

Eg, my TT makes 16psi factory by 3000rpm. If it didn't have torque delay, it would spike that boost at around 1500rpm, and be prone to bend rods due to the high cylinder pressure and long duration.

On my Eclipse, I have a turbo capable of 500whp, and it'll still hit 15psi by 2400rpm. Keep in mind, that's a GS. You won't see lag using any decent turbo on a GT setup until you're looking 1000+ would be GUESS based off of exhaust flow. If you want to go cheap, probably some 700hp journal bearing Borg will get you a happy setup

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old March 15th, 2020, 09:09 PM   #40 (permalink)

Name: Josh
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
Joshinator99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone use race gas, so I've never seen over 450hp. It's high compression, so it's quite octane limited.

Race fuels and methanol injection would help, but I think the 450 was with meth
Since you’re probably beefing up the entire fuel system anyway, set it up for E85...
Joshinator99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gs turbo, kit, thread, turbo, turbo kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in