Upgraded Radiator worth it? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2020, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Walketfretts is on a distinguished road
Upgraded Radiator worth it?

Is an upgraded radiator a good early mod to install to a 2.4l eclipse? Iv heard these cars are pretty bad at cooling in general so is this something I should look into before other mods?
Walketfretts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2020, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It's engine bay heat people are talking about usually, and the fix for that is venting out the fenders or hood. My suggestion is to take it to the track first, see if you have overheating issues, and go from there.

I'm running 3x stock power, and haven't had overheating issues yet. But it's circuit and drag racing I have my car for, not AutoX, which has much lower speeds, so less airflow to cool the rad. That being said, I also have a huge intercooler in front of my rad that blocks flow, and still it isn't overheating.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2020, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
The heat under the hood is a big problem due to the pre cats in the exhaust manifolds

Once I fixed that the extra heat seemed to go away
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 5th, 2020, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
It's engine bay heat people are talking about usually, and the fix for that is venting out the fenders or hood. My suggestion is to take it to the track first, see if you have overheating issues, and go from there.

I'm running 3x stock power, and haven't had overheating issues yet. But it's circuit and drag racing I have my car for, not AutoX, which has much lower speeds, so less airflow to cool the rad. That being said, I also have a huge intercooler in front of my rad that blocks flow, and still it isn't overheating.
Saber tooth i need your expertise haha. I was looking into adding the injen cai next week. Are there a lot of reports of people sucking water in bad conditions? If so I would probably end up going short ram because weather in PA is so bipolar.
Old May 5th, 2020, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Basically Stock

If you have a manual, clutch in when going through Noah's flood. If auto, throw it in neutral if you think you're gonna be underwater with the filter.

As long as you're not on the throttle, or the engine isn't being forced to turn by the weight of the car, there is so little pumping force at idle RPM that water won't get into your engine.

As for a wet filter in general causing stalling, yeah, that'll happen sometimes with a filter low to the ground. Water can splash up onto it, and then if that water mist comes up to the MAF sensor, the MAF will go to 5v, max out fueling, and you may stall. It's a non purposeful fail safe for intaking water. If water hits the MAF, the engine stalls. If it stalls.

That being said, I did have to drive through water up to my doors to get off a flooding street before, and did it with a cold air intake. It worked because the bumper of my car created a wake, pushing the water away. Most people grossly overstate how affected CAI are by water. Just be smart with it, and you'll be fine. I even kept mine on during the winters I drove this car

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 5th, 2020, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dude I drive year round in Ohio with the DC Sports CAI
Snow doesn’t bother me, it’s the flooding that u have to worry about, just don’t be one of those idiots who tries to drive through a largely flooded road where u can’t see the bottom and you’ll be fine

Only once during a huge flash flood watch storm was a worried about water logging it, I think it got pretty wet and my tires kept spinning out on slick roads
Old May 5th, 2020, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
Besides Injen makes hydroshields. My DC Sports CAI has it and havent had any issues so far. I checked the filter 6 months later and it looked like new.
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2020, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

You guys are always more than enough help. Thank you!
Old May 6th, 2020, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Welcome! Glad to help. 😁
Old May 7th, 2020, 05:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
I have a DC Sports CAI and I've never had an issue with water. I do have a fluid filter bag thing on it (idk what it's called lmao) and I've drove through some REALLY heavy rain storms. Always nervous, but as long as you're not literally submerging the filter end of the CAI, you'll be fine. I've heard the Short Ram Intakes aren't the best because of residual engine heat eating into power, since it wouldn't be a cold air intake anymore, but a hot air intake. Also, the Short Ram such on the 4 cylinder I've also heard.

The DC Sports CAI is really easy to install and I did it at 2 am in my gravel drive way at my last house.

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k | Tires-159k | Soft Top-160k

Future Work: ???

Last Oil Change-159,030 (7/5/2020)
Valvoline 5w20 Full Synthetic + STP S2808XL
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 7th, 2020, 05:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Heatwrapping is a must for SRI if you ask me. I did it to my RRE headers and have driven hard around my area to test the wrapping, engine bay is way cooler than before. I also removed the weather strip if that's what it's called. Rubber strip on the plastic part where wipers sit. Open the hood and you'll see it. Heat is pushed out through there giving a similar effect as hood spacers. Not sure if as much but there is a difference for me therefore im sure a SRI would benefit from it as well. A TB spacer also works wonders.
Old May 7th, 2020, 05:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparda D'Mon View Post
Heatwrapping is a must for SRI if you ask me. I did it to my RRE headers and have driven hard around my area to test the wrapping, engine bay is way cooler than before. I also removed the weather strip if that's what it's called. Rubber strip on the plastic part where wipers sit. Open the hood and you'll see it. Heat is pushed out through there giving a similar effect as hood spacers. Not sure if as much but there is a difference for me therefore im sure a SRI would benefit from it as well. A TB spacer also works wonders.
That weather strip keeps water out of your engine bay, I do not recommend removing this

This seal failed on my dads trailblazer and rusted the spark plugs into the head, when removing one it snapped off
Old May 7th, 2020, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Bad news. You actually created an inlet, not an outlet. Air hits the windshield and is the highest or second highest pressure point on a car. Outlets are at the front of the hood, inlets are at the windshield

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 7th, 2020, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Bad news. You actually created an inlet, not an outlet. Air hits the windshield and is the highest or second highest pressure point on a car. Outlets are at the front of the hood, inlets are at the windshield
Yeah ever seen those old NASCARs with the air intakes coming from the windshield? They figured out air actually bounced down from the windshield towards the hood, at least some of it does
Old May 7th, 2020, 08:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It's not about bouncing down or flow. It's about pressure. The air velocity at the windshield is lower, and is a high pressure zone. It doesn't flow back to the front of the car unless there's a low pressure zone to flow to inside the boundary layer.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 7th, 2020, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Well if it is a problem i plan to correct it very soon. I still have the strip in my car.

Edit: Done. Just put it bk on. Easy to do it except the last clips on each end. Those are harder to lift to wiggle the rubber around them.

Last edited by Sparda D'Mon; May 8th, 2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old May 8th, 2020, 09:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
What is a heat wrap specifically? Where do I buy that also? Local Autozone?
Old May 8th, 2020, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walketfretts View Post
Quote:
What is a heat wrap specifically? Where do I buy that also? Local Autozone?
Beware heat wrap usually retains moisture and can promote rusting
Old May 8th, 2020, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Heat wrap is specifically an insulating wrap that goes around piping to prevent radiant heat off it, as well as provides a high surface area to dissipate the heat through thermal induction, making it cooler to touch than the surface below it, while also insulating.

It's generally a weave of fiberglass, but others such as titanium fiber also exist.

And yes, using heat wrap, you must realize the pipe is now an expendable part. It does hold moisture, and promotes rust. That's the advantage of thermal coatings, is that they reduce risk of rust vs bare metal.

That said. I just have 2000f generic heat paint on my manifold, and have no regrets or concerns. I didn't see a reason to go through the effort NA, don't see a reason now either.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 8th, 2020, 01:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Heat wrap is specifically an insulating wrap that goes around piping to prevent radiant heat off it, as well as provides a high surface area to dissipate the heat through thermal induction, making it cooler to touch than the surface below it, while also insulating.

It's generally a weave of fiberglass, but others such as titanium fiber also exist.

And yes, using heat wrap, you must realize the pipe is now an expendable part. It does hold moisture, and promotes rust. That's the advantage of thermal coatings, is that they reduce risk of rust vs bare metal.

That said. I just have 2000f generic heat paint on my manifold, and have no regrets or concerns. I didn't see a reason to go through the effort NA, don't see a reason now either.
So heat paint one ups heat wrap? Where can I purchase the paint? I'd rather go to a brick and mortar store if thats doable with the very long shipping times recently.
Old May 9th, 2020, 09:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
Most auto part stores have high intensity heat paint, mostly engine paint.

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k | Tires-159k | Soft Top-160k

Future Work: ???

Last Oil Change-159,030 (7/5/2020)
Valvoline 5w20 Full Synthetic + STP S2808XL
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2020, 09:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Basically Stock

No. Heat resistant paint is just paint that doesn't flake from being hot, or get burned off. It has no effective thermal insulation properties.

My point was that it's worth so little NA, or even at my boost level, that it wasn't concerning.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in