I have a question Looking for information on TB spacer or possible DIY solution. - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2020, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: AJ
Vehicle: 09 Spyder GS
BlankWave is on a distinguished road
Looking for information on TB spacer or possible DIY solution.

Hello.

I got my 09 Spyder GS so I could learn to work on a car, and now that I've got my tool set, I'm planning to jump in with some intake modifications to build some confidence. Next week I plan to get my ducks in a row for a DC CAI install, TB bypass, GT TB swap, and intake resonator delete.

The only thing on the intake list that's eluding me is the TB thermo spacer. From what I understand, this mod has two functions. The first is to cool down the TB, and as a result, cool down incoming air into the engine. Makes sense. The second is allowing for the GT TB swap without modifying the GT TB (research says the EGR valve rubs in a way that keeps it from fitting). I found exactly one compatible spacer for the 09 GS, and it seems to be made out of metal (aluminum?) which seems like it would defeat the first purpose of the mod.

I did do my homework and comb through older posts about the swap and about spacers, but they all seem to refer to "Outlaw spacers" which appear to be extinct. I'm finding quickly that a great many things are now extinct for this car.

The price of a TB spacer compared to practical results is a bit high for my taste anyway, so is there a workaround? Could I possibly DIY a 7mm gasket of some sort? I've come across Honda owners making DIY spacers out of cheap plastic cutting boards, but something tells me this engine is too hot for that. Can I make something easily enough that will work? If not, what do I need to do to the GT TB in order to install it correctly?

FWIW I have a full set of hand tools but no power tools except for a 1500rpm drill, so anything too complex might be out of my league right now. Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I'm determined to squeeze a little more power out of this thing before I'm done with it!
BlankWave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2020, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
I’d just do the intake pipe and the resonator blockoff

TB coolant bypass, and TB spacer will give u basically no gain if any and will cause more problems than they’re worth

GT TB has been shown to not give any more power either and you need tuned for it properly
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2020, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Basically Stock

UHMW would be a great thermal spacer material. Easy to cut into shape, easy to drill, insulated, quite cheap, strong, heat resistant.

Grab a square of it, cut it up, drill it out, and go for it.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 22nd, 2020, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Never heard of it, but Amazon sells it cheap enough.

If I read the other threads correctly, it would need to be 7mm thick to space the GT TB far enough to fit without modification? So I'd pick up some UHMW at maybe 1/4" thickness, trace the TB gasket and holes, cut and drill and I'm good?

I actually found my old Dremel 200 today while cleaning the basement, so this would be good timing.

A few extra questions;

1. Does the spacer need to be the same shape as the TB gasket/opening or can I just cut a similar sized rectangle?

2. The TB gasket would go on the TB side of the spacer I guess, but do I need something on the intake manifold side of the spacer (sealant, or another gasket maybe)?
Old June 22nd, 2020, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Was able to find high-heat UPHW that can withstand temps up to 275F. It's about double the price for the same thickness, but the UPHW on Amazon had a temp ceiling of 180F which seems a bit low to sit where the TB is. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that, you'll be saving me $10!

UHMWPE High Temperature Plastic Sheets, 12 x 12 to 48 x 120 Inch

Haven't bought the stuff yet until I know more about what exactly I need to do, but thanks for the material suggestion. This seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still a noob mechanic learning as I go, so if you see anything overtly stupid in what I'm about to attempt, feel free to lay the smackdown! I'd rather feel dumb on the internet than brick my engine. I can't afford repairs, I need coilovers!
Old June 22nd, 2020, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Both will probably handle all the heat. You could take a thermometer to your intake manifold and see how hot it gets. Remember, it's always being cooled by air flowing through it too

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
air, bypass, cai, car, dc cai, delete, engine, fit, gasket, install, intake, list, metal, modifications, outlaw spacers, owners, posts, power, resonator, spacer, spacers, spyder, swap, valve, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in