Fog light Intake Conversion - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2020, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Noah-a is on a distinguished road
Fog light Intake Conversion

Hey everyone.
I'm a new member. Just recently bought an 06 gs and started tinkering with it and doing some maintenance.

Going out on a limb with this but I noticed that a very common first upgrade is a cold air intake. Myself being a student with student budgets was thinking...

Is it possible to convert one of the fog lights (my model doesn't actually have fog lights just the covers) into an intake and feed it into the air filter for increased intake and how effective that would actually be.
I am new to this car so excuse my ignorance.
Noah-a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2020, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Yes you can open it, no it won't make much difference. If your engine bay were sealed off instead of a high pressure area, then it would help. But in the performance world, unless engine bay pressures are lowered by proper ducting and vents, you don't usually see anything like that. And when you do, it feeds sealed totally off to an airbox designed for it, or no filter at all.

Also very important is the design of the opening. Intakes like that use a bell shaped opening. The fog light housings, while they'd work as a funnel for low velocity, will churn air back out at high speeds as well reducing efficiency of flow.

If your thought is to use a flexible hose to connect the factory airbox to the opening, you can stop there. Flexible hoses will flex under use, and will reduce the airflow in more than would be gained at any speed the car will be operating at via ram air induction, and as flow increases, flex will too

More effective would be a NACA duct placed near the windshield, then drop right into the system with an inline filter. But then you run into issues in that the car can't drive in the rain without special work put into an air-water separator

Overall, for $150, the DC Sports intake is your best bet.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2020, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Noah-a is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info Sabertooth! Very intresting!
Yeah I think ill stick to just CAI then.
Noah-a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
I made a cai out of an old accord intake for this car, and made it code free after numerous attempts. Now my opinion is same as saber either get dc cai or find a used dc sports for the gs, don’t bother making one as you’ll have a engine code in 20 miles or less. These cars hate mods that don’t have mimic of factory type crap. I picked up a brand new dc sports for $20 off Craigslist in my area things come and go everywhere.
Smokeynbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2020, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Basically Stock

As long as you have the same MAF flow, it shouldn't matter. A screen in front of the MAF sensor, and 2.75" piping, and then all the rest of the intake can be whatever you want.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old June 29th, 2020, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I made a 2.7” diameter piece of rubber to fit around the sensor which made it work on a gs however my newer car a 14’ accord I am now trying similar things but still running rich. Not related to this car obviously but I’m thinking pipe size can play a role in my new experiment. I tried a smaller dia but looking at my intake it’s almost 4” pipe around the sensor so a 3” pipe would cause rich I believe. I’m learning as I go haha my pipe work looked clean but rides rough shifting and throws the code after 100 miles. Sometimes it’s hard to beat a factory box with a kn filter dollar for dollar and hp to hp least what I’m learning. Still fun to play around with though , having a obd helps to clear and retry
Old June 29th, 2020, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Basically Stock

As you shrink the pipe, it sees more of the air coming through. So it adds more fuel, and runs richer.

As you expand the pipe, it sees less of the air, so it doesn't add the fuel for it without scaling being adjusted, so it'll go lean

I made a 3.5" MAF housing out of steel piping for my car. Once I adjusted scaling, it ran perfect

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old June 29th, 2020, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks thought I was on the right track just had to ask didn’t mean to confuse the thread thought
Old June 29th, 2020, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

All good, it's fairly on topic, as it's still related to doing a custom intake like this.

That said, the only reason I went larger than stock was because I had the stock one maxed out. Below ~340whp of air, stock size is fine.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old June 29th, 2020, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

My engines are stock so I just had to make it close to factory size, the Honda I’m sure I’ll just have to upgrade the size to the same size, I thought a slightly smaller tube than the stock would work for a cai, but I’ve learned with this one not always the case for every car. Stock sizes seem to be all I need although I did love the scream of the engine with a cai lol the v6 accord really woke up sounds wise and would sound spin The tires through 3rd out of 6. It’s another fun car to mod I feel. Simple mods that is. I don’t have a lot of down time for vehicles I can’t boost or anything for now lol the eclipse is still one my all time favorite cars To work on, can be tricky at times but that challyfeels rewarding once you’ve managed to mod and keep It clear of codes. Like a fun battle when you have the time but when you don’t it sucks seeing service engine soon haha
Old June 29th, 2020, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
U need to adjust MAF scaling in your tune if you’re going to change the sizing of the pipe btw bro

Not just “play with it” till the light stays off
pcfreak4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in