I have a question VC Gasket and Spark Well Seals replacement process? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: AJ
Vehicle: 09 Spyder GS
BlankWave is on a distinguished road
VC Gasket and Spark Well Seals replacement process?

A while back I changed my spark plugs for the first time and noticed some oil in cylinders #2 and #3. It wasn't an alarming amount and it was mostly up by the top of the plug and not at the bottom, so after a chat with my mechanic friend I decided it wasn't an emergency. I bought the valve cover gasket and spark plug o-rings from Rockauto, but they've been in a box because it's been 90+ degrees every day and I don't have a garage.

Unfortunately, this past week I've been noticing a weird smell while driving. It's faint and intermittent, but it smells like an old cigar someone left lit in the ashtray. I don't smoke, so I strongly suspect the valve cover itself may have busted a leak, or the spark well leaks have gotten worse. The only other thing I could imagine causing the smell is possibly the heat shield above the third cat touching down on the exhaust (the rattle is real, y'all) but I figure the gaskets need to be changed either way; one thing at a time.

I'd like to do this myself, but I wasn't able to find a how to. I might be using the wrong search terms. I know the valve cover needs to come off obviously and that seems simple enough on the GS, but one of the posts I found suggested replacing the spark o-rings is not simple and you need a rope to hold up the cylinders or something?

If there is a how-to, could someone point me at it? If not, if someone could run the process down for me I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm a noob mechanic (spark plugs and CAI install are the biggest jobs I've done) so the more detail I can get, the more confidence I'll have to do this on my own instead of phoning up my mechanic buddy. If anyone can help out I'd be very grateful.

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS
Proud Member of the RAVE RED Gang.
Modifications: DC Sports CAI, Cool Sunglasses
BlankWave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2020, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
The spark plug o rings are just taken off with the valve cover gasket

U don’t need a timing holder or anything as that sounds like what you’re referring to, we don’t even have a timing chain, we have a timing belt as I’m sure you’re aware

You’re not doing anything with the timing by taking the valve cover off of a GS, just pull your engine cover off, spark plug connectors and coils out, and unbolt the valve cover, remember to torque the valve cover bolts back down in the correct pattern and to the correct torque, check the FSM, and do not drop anything inside the engine

Last edited by pcfreak4; July 29th, 2020 at 09:49 PM.
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2020, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Glad I don't need to worry about holding anything up. The comment said something about keeping the pistons from dropping or something? Idk, I'll disregard it. Some followup questions, if that's cool;

I think I found the torque spec for the VC bolts on the Tearstone manual, but not the pattern or the location of the o rings. Sounds like they are attached to the VC cover, at the top of the spark wells (sandwiched between the well and the VC cover)? Does that mean it's as simple as pulling them off and popping the new ones on, nothing to remove other than the VC cover?

Do I need to apply any gasket sealer to the VC gasket or the o rings?

Plugs need to be removed to clean the well and the plugs. Is it smarter to do that before I take the valve cover off, or can I easily remove them afterwards?

So, to make sure I've got this before I drive out to an empty parking lot and strand myself for a few hours;

1. Remove spark coils and wiring harnesses
2. Unbolt valve cover
3. Pull off spark well o rings and replace
4. Remove valve cover gasket and clean off residue on engine and on cover
5. Sand and spray paint VC cover like a cool guy should
6. Clean spark plugs and well of oil
7. Attach new valve cover gasket to the cover and seat it back over the engine
8. Tighten to spec in [insert correct pattern whenever I find it] for even pressure
9. Reattach spark coils and wires
10. Victory lap

Let me know if I left out anything important or if one of these steps is horribly wrong. The more clarification I can get here, the less chance I have of being stuck in a parking lot with an open engine and no idea what to do lol.

Appreciate the first advice. Also, what's FSM?

Old July 29th, 2020, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Factory service manual

https://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-f...ervice-manual/

Yes you got it, I say just get the valve cover back on first before pulling actual spark plugs, as far as the o ring seals go, just dip them in some motor oil before putting them on, make sure you clean the engine and valve cover surfaces of old gasket, but do not gouge the surfaces, that’ll be bad

As far as torque order, if the FSM doesn’t say, just do half of the torque spec at first doing diagonals, left bottom bolt, top right bolt, bottom right bolt, top left bolt, middle bottom bolt, top middle bolt, then go back over them in that order again at the final torque spec

As far as pulling the plugs to clean the oil out, no need to clean anything, pull the plugs, might as well replace them unless they’re already super new, NGK laser iridium, and just let the oil fall into the cylinder, that’s what I did, little bit of smoke on first start up for a minute but it’ll be fine
Old July 30th, 2020, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Steven
Vehicle: 2012 Eclipse GS
Sexynerd34 will become famous soon enough
Can't believe I haven't seen that service manual before! Thanks for that man.
Sexynerd34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 30th, 2020, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks very much for the tips! All extremely helpful. Still haven't found the pattern for the valve cover, but I think it'll be okay in the criss-cross order you suggested.

I think the only question I have unanswered is whether or not I need to use anything on the valve cover gasket to seal it? Should I rub motor oil on that as well, or do I need to use some gasket sealant? I've seen DIY videos where they apply something, and others where they just stick the gasket on there by itself and bolt down. Seems like it depends on whether there's grooves for it to lay in or not, but I've never seen what ours looks like.

Again, I appreciate it. I feel relatively prepared to knock this out. That burnt cigar smell is terrible. Really hope this gasket is the cause and there isn't a more sinister leak hiding down in there.

Old July 30th, 2020, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

U don’t need to put anything on the outside valve cover gasket, just make sure the surfaces are clean and smooth

Tags
back, box, cai, cat, cover, day, detail, exhaust, gasket, heat, how to, how-to, install, leak, noob, oil, plugs, posts, rattle, replacement, search, shield, spark, top, valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in