Review DC Sports CAI - unboxing - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Andrew
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
ashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to all
DC Sports CAI - unboxing

This is just the unboxing of the DC Sports CAI4006 Cold Air Intake. I wish I had the time to install today. More pics when I get to that, but for now:

Look at the marketing here:DC Sports • Headers • Exhausts • Turbo Manifolds • Air Filters

I had several questions about what was in the box and what the measurements were, and I kept quiet thinking "It'll be here soon enough". Now that I have the CAI, I want to answer some of my own questions here, in case anyone else also has them.

I ordered mine from UltraRev.com, and it took 5 business days from order to package at my door. $136 with free shipping. Beat that with a stick.

So here's the box, unopened and opened:

Here is everything in the box. The directions are great if you already know your way around the car, mediocre at best if you don't. Let's be honest, if you don't know your way around the car (for instance, where and what the MAF is) you're already in trouble here. Another example, if you can't look at only this pipe and visualize where it will route through your engine bay, you're already in trouble.

Here is the filter and measurements. It is a DC Sports DCF300. Really, to replace it, use the same OR put your favorite aftermarket filter with a 3" opening. Measurements for a Hydroshield (still haven't gotten one of those) are 5" on the narrow end, 4 3/4" tall, 5 1/2" on the wide end that fits onto the pipe.

The Pipe is 3" where it meets the filter, but it is only 2.5" for most of the length. If you are considering an air bypass valve, and you should, this is the measurement that matters! Glad I haven't purchased one yet. Don't make that air bypass purchase decision before I remove this comment, I'm pretty SURE it is 2.5" but it just might be 2.75".

Other parts that come in the box. I like the look of those hose clamps!

And here's the tease (for me anyway). The "assembled" product...a tease because it's not yet on the car and I doubt I'll have the time to do that today.

As expected, it all fits together quite snug. I do not expect any air leaks in this setup.

See you when this bad boy gets installed!

Last edited by ashort; November 17th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Be afraid...very afraid!!

Name: chuck
Vehicle: 06 GT M/T
chuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to all
thats cool , you will like your difference it makes, be sure to post more pics of the install
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
i love intake installs because theyre pretty hard to mess up

My Ride Thread: https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 17th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

ashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
thats cool , you will like your difference it makes, be sure to post more pics of the install
I'm going to do my usual overkill of pics on the install and it'll be a "HowTo". I think people don't do this one because it's "so easy" but for someone who's never done it before there are still lots of minor questions until you do it the first time.

Shopping for hydroshields locally right now. I want to do this tomorrow so I don't want to wait for the hydroshield. Let's be honest, i WANT to do this TODAY, I'm planning on doing it tomorrow.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

chuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to all
if its not raining or wet out ...put it on man. lol
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
if its not raining or wet out ...put it on man. lol
Oh, I'm putting it on! The issue will be how long I worry about getting the filter wet. That's all.

Last edited by ashort; November 17th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
All go and no show

Name: Greg
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GS
Army_NJ is a jewel in the roughArmy_NJ is a jewel in the rough
Make sure you tighten down the frame mount really good. Mine fell off and i had to get creative with some bolts, washers, and an allen bolt.
Installed: DC Sports CAI, Outlaw Engineering TB Spacer, GT TB, TB Bypass, Tenzo R Lowering Springs, Sickspeed Oil Catch Can, RF Head Unit, RF Speakers, Aem Uego, Gutted exhaust manifold, Redline Tuning hood struts, Magnaflow Catback.
On hand: A ton of stuff that im too lazy/dont have time to install.
Next project: Sneaky sneakys.
Army_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

well did you see a diff? mine def made a diff in responce times and mine looks alot bigger diameter wise....lol,my sri that is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (37.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (79.3 KB, 106 views)
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
well did you see a diff? mine def made a diff in responce times and mine looks alot bigger diameter wise....lol,my sri that is
"SRI...V6...does not compute..."

Putting it on tomorrow morning.
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

lmao.......
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

1SLO4G is on a distinguished road
Just order one now
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Afleete

Name: David
Vehicle: 2008 Lexus ISF
Spooky pantz will become famous soon enough
I'm thinking of ordering one of these for my first mod.
Spooky pantz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
All go and no show

Ultrarev.com its only $140ish shipped
Installed: DC Sports CAI, Outlaw Engineering TB Spacer, GT TB, TB Bypass, Tenzo R Lowering Springs, Sickspeed Oil Catch Can, RF Head Unit, RF Speakers, Aem Uego, Gutted exhaust manifold, Redline Tuning hood struts, Magnaflow Catback.
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just got back from my post-install test drive. There is only one word: DAMN!

I was being all gentle because I was in a PCM reset and the car sounded much like it did before. Then I sank my foot in it a little and I about pissed myself when Dr. Jekyll became Mr Hyde. "HEY! I've never heard it make THAT sound before!"

I went back to the house and got the college freshman, "Hey we're going for a ride, you've got to HEAR this!"

Seriously, if you drive it like a grandma, it's all polite and quiet (as much as it ever was, anyway). If you lay it down though, Mr Hyde shows up! Very fun. Can't wait to put it on the highway tomorrow on the drive to work.

All this makes it into the How To I'm going to write, but...listen guys, when someone says something like, "You can turn the wheel all the way [left/right] and get to it, but it's easier if you jack the car and remove the wheel." This means, "It's a serious pain in the ass unless you jack the car and remove the wheel."

Last edited by ashort; November 18th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Afleete

That short review sold me I think...
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Afleete

Can you post pics of it installed?
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky pantz View Post
Can you post pics of it installed?
Here's a few, saving most for the HowTo.

Note that the chassis mount doesn't match up on this. I wonder if this is a delta in the 2006-2008 line, and the 2009-2012 line? The CAI SAYS it is for "4Cyl Mitsubishi Eclipse; 2006-2008". Going to have to figure out a bracket for the long term. For now, the fit is tight enough that a chassis mount isn't necessary.

Your filter's new home, in front of the driver's side front wheel. I can't believe I have to jack the car to change the air filter. I'd like to see Jiffy Lube offer to change THIS air filter. =-D This was more challenging than I expected. That filter is JAMMED against the fog light housing, which is part of the one piece plastic bumper. It barely fits. I'm going to shop for a more narrow replacement. I'm also going to gauge my future want/need to install fog lights. Unsure. I don't want to mutilate the car any more than I have to, if a thinner filter does the trick, then so be it.

Look for the How To on how to remove that air cleaner resonator. hint: It only comes out through the fender!

Proof (sort of) that I got it all back together!

Last edited by ashort; November 19th, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
I daily drive this bitch

Name: Matt
Shadow 93 is a jewel in the roughShadow 93 is a jewel in the rough
Nice! I look forward to the How to. Got me considering getting one now!
Shadow 93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_NJ View Post
Make sure you tighten down the frame mount really good. Mine fell off and i had to get creative with some bolts, washers, and an allen bolt.
Gotta think about this one for a while. The frame mount on the pipe is no where near the mount point on my car.
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
I daily drive this bitch

Name: Matt
Shadow 93 is a jewel in the roughShadow 93 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
Gotta think about this one for a while. The frame mount on the pipe is no where near the mount point on my car.
Did you buy the wrong one? Would you recommend it?
Shadow 93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow 93 View Post
Did you buy the wrong one? Would you recommend it?
It's hard to knock it because it WORKS, and it's ON there, Its not going anywhere.

I suspect that there is a difference in position of that mounting point, between the "Eclipse GS Automatic 2006-2008" and the "Eclipse GS Automatic 2009-2012". The CAI box says "Eclipse 2006-2008" and I said "bah, they are all the same". Maybe I'm wrong?
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
All go and no show

Take a few pictures, mine didnt sit perfectly on there either but i realized it was because i had the pipe flush with the tb and i should have left some space in between.

Edit: just saw your picture. Yeah thats definitely in a different spot than mine. And your filter also sits lower than mine and doesnt look as large, i had some trouble making mine fit properly

Last edited by Army_NJ; November 19th, 2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

I wish they made that filter and section of pipe to better avoid the fog light assembly that is a molded part of the front bumper.
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
All go and no show

Well if you cut the pipe you can allow for both the mount to fit and a bypass valve so thats something to try
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #25 (permalink)

So here is my list list of issues. To be fair, the first two are self-inflicted, or simple "to dos" for me.
  • Add Hydroshield
  • Add Bypass Valve
  • Chassis Mount - get creative and attach to chassis. Possibly look for secondary mount point in case I have to cut the pipe in two for bypass valve.
  • Filter/Fog Light issue - buy thinner filter and/or cut out fog lamp mounting point (do I EVER want fog lights?) for better fit.
  • Open up air flow - cut out hole in fog lamp placeholder (grey trim in bumper) and mask with screen, allowing more air to the filter.

Hoping the smaller filter does the trick, I have my eyes on the halo fog lights.
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
All go and no show

Careful with that screen idea. Make sure youre able to plug it back up when it rains.
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #27 (permalink)

did it make a difference... that you could feel and hear?
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Careful with that screen idea. Make sure youre able to plug it back up when it rains.
I'd spray that screen (thinking of something that would let air through but also provide the necessary block for most water) with something hydrophobic and I'd still have a hydroshield on the filter. I've considered buying a second black hydroshield, using it as material for the project. But that's an expensive piece of cloth! I may not do this at all now that ACI has halo fogs for $50. I like how those look!

Last edited by ashort; November 19th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
did it make a difference... that you could feel and hear?
I don't know if I am imagining the minor growl in the engine even at idle, but there is NO mistaking the added sound when you open it up. I was amazed at that. Is there actually extra power? No way to prove, but the sound sure makes it seem like there is. Could be placebo, or not. Don't care. Love it.

Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, for sure. Is it the high speed cam profile (Mivec) that is making all the "racket"? The car sounds like what you want it to sound like, keep the TPS under 40 or so (granny drive), and it's quiet. You push it, and the symphony starts.

I watched the air intake temp monitor for a week or so before today, paying attention to the delta between that and ambient. I expected the difference to shrink with the CAI. Most of the time, it is still 10-12 degress hotter at the intake (wherever the PCM measures that temp) than in Weather.com's reported ambient (REAL scientific, i know!). However, with the CAI, I have seen the difference be 7-8 degrees and I never saw it that low without it.
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
All go and no show

Theres plenty of dyno sheets out that prove the gains of a cai.
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Theres plenty of dyno sheets out that prove the gains of a cai.
Yep! And I'm taking their word for it. I'm just having fun working on and driving my car.
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

Name: Tom D.
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GS, 5 Speed
shortyboy192 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
Here's a few, saving most for the HowTo.

Note that the chassis mount doesn't match up on this.
Try twisting the pipe at the throttle body or moving it slightly away. It could line up then. Mine didnt line up perfectly so i kinda forced it into place, which i now regret because the mount snapped off leaving a hole in the pipe.

Current: DC Sports CAI/Projector Lights/LED Tails/Projector Eyelids/Plastidip Front and Rear Bumper/Debadged/Oil Catch Can/Gutted Pre-Cats
https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...r-crystal.html
shortyboy192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyboy192 View Post
Try twisting the pipe at the throttle body or moving it slightly away. It could line up then. Mine didnt line up perfectly so i kinda forced it into place, which i now regret because the mount snapped off leaving a hole in the pipe.
I will give that a shot, but I'm not touching the TB end of that pipe again until I get a 10mm deep socket. That's a requirement. I tightened those clamps with an adjustable jaw wrench. Not again!
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Club4G Admin

Tournaments Won: 4

Name: Russ Sanderlin
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic review man!!!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #35 (permalink)

Right now, at 51 ambient, I'm getting 58 at the intake. Nice.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM   #36 (permalink)
Afleete

So I have a 2012, does yours still fit snug even though the mounting point is wrong in our cars?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

I loosened the clamps at the throttle body and twisted the pipe around a little bit. Now the mount matches up. Been a busy weekend so far. I need to take a look in the fender well and see how that air cleaner is doing. Still looking for a high flow air cleaner for a 3" pipe that is overall smaller than the one that came with the CAI. No luck yet.

Im going to say this. It is a good CAI-it works. But you get what you pay for, and I think another option (for those with a manual tranny which I don't have) that costs more but is easier to install would be a better option. CAI's should just come with a hydro shield. They should also have an easy option to add the bypass valve. I have a bypass valve on the way.
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #38 (permalink)

The perfect replacement filter?

AEM 21-203DOSK - AEM DryFlow Air Filter - AEM Online Store
That's it, I'm buying it.
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #39 (permalink)

1SLO4G is on a distinguished road
Mine came in today

sorry for dirty engine bay, and still need to rewrap my heat wrap :/
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #40 (permalink)

Name: zach
Vehicle: 2012/Eclipse/Spyder
Kincaid0890 is on a distinguished road
Just ordered one a few mins ago. First mod to car since I just got it 2 weeks ago
Kincaid0890 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aftermarket, air, air intake, bay, cai, car, cold air, cold air intake, dc sports cai, door, engine, filters, headers, install, intake, king, meets, parts, pipe, questions, remove, setup, shipping, stance, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in