Gutted pre-cats in Manifold - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GS/SE Specific 2.4L I4 (4G69) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Mitsu WCR

Name: Jason
Vehicle: 2012 Eclipse GS
GeckoinWA is a jewel in the roughGeckoinWA is a jewel in the rough
Gutted pre-cats in Manifold

Michael (eosrebel) came by this weekend to help me gut the pre-cats. Once we wiggled all the sticking bolts loose and gently convinced the O2 sensors to come out, we removed all the packing and put it back in to test. Unfortunately there were a few nasty exhaust holes and it had a very nasty sound to it.

We pounced on it again early Monday morning and were able to seal up all the leaks with gasket sealant. As you can probably tell, big difference. No more raspiness and no more sputtering. The left muffler hanger is rattling though so I still need to secure that to get rid of that tinny sound in the video below.

And sometimes I just don't feed the kids
Cosmetic: True 4D Carbon Wrapped Spoiler & Door Handles; Metallic Blue Engine Detailing
Performance: Injen SRI, RRE UDP, Eibach Sportlines, Freeflow Exhaust Manifold, Custom Metallic Blue Grounding Kit
GeckoinWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Jake
Vehicle: 2011 PBP STi
unde7277 has a spectacular aura about
What else do you have done to it because that doesn't sound stock just by gutting the manifold. It has a real deep sound to it.

Ralli art eyelids // injen CAI // GReddy RS Exhaust // Progress rear sway // D2 Coilovers // RRE UDP // ralco short shifter // Black housing headlights //
unde7277 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team Mitsu WCR

That's the stock, albeit dual, exhaust. I have to say she sounds great with it and I've never said that before about another stock exhaust. Honestly I didn't hear much in the low end (bass) different from before/after we gutted the cat but the treble end had some additional whisping that I heard.
Cosmetic: True 4D Carbon Wrapped Spoiler & Door Handles; Metallic Blue Engine Detailing
Performance: Injen SRI, RRE UDP, Eibach Sportlines, Freeflow Exhaust Manifold, Custom Metallic Blue Grounding Kit

Last edited by GeckoinWA; September 2nd, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
angel4g

Tournaments Won: 4

To get rid of that rattle from your left hanger, add two rubber washers on each side of where its drilled in, that's what I did and I have zero issues with my dual exhaust.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Team Mitsu WCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel4g View Post
To get rid of that rattle from your left hanger, add two rubber washers on each side of where its drilled in, that's what I did and I have zero issues with my dual exhaust.
Excellent idea, thank you. I was contemplating sound deadening but if rubber washers work (I assume you're referring to gaskets), I'll give it a shot.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
angel4g

Tournaments Won: 4

Not gaskets haha the rubber washers are there so you won't feel the vibration or hear it. Take it to a muffler shop, they could add the rubber washers for like 5 bucks or free if you know people lol
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Afleete

Name: David
Vehicle: 2008 Lexus ISF
Spooky pantz will become famous soon enough
Finally a video!! Thank you. Hard to find anything for the 09+. Any codes after this? If not I may finally do it
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Team Mitsu WCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky pantz View Post
Finally a video!! Thank you. Hard to find anything for the 09+. Any codes after this? If not I may finally do it
Not yet but I have o2 spacers just in case.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Michael
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
eosrebel has a spectacular aura about
I'm glad we got that leak fixed, it's incredible how much better it sounds now and how much of a difference the factory duals are over the single exhaust on mine.
eosrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Team Mitsu WCR

Drove her to work this morning - nice growl on the freeway now when I give a little gas. Feel a bit weaker off the line but at about 2K rpm it starts to get a little spunkier than normal. No codes yet (fingers crossed) - max speed was 75 mph and sustained at 69 mph.

Michael under the car

Manifold removed

Crap from the pre-cats

Just a kick-ass shot from underneath

Last edited by GeckoinWA; September 3rd, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Oh God that picture is something else...
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team Mitsu WCR

SES finally came on when I got off the freeway and was coasting from 70 to a stop on my way home tonight. Guess it's time to drill out those spacers. Anyone remember what the bigger hole gets drilled out to? I have a machine shop at work I can use to drill them.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

The bigger hole that the o2 sensor goes into is 1/2 inch.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Team Mitsu WCR

Thanks Michael - I'll have them drilled out tomorrow and try to get them in if the weather holds. I think those bottom O2 sensors will come out no problems.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Haha yeah with nothing in the way you should have no problem at all.
Old July 25th, 2020, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Jayannon is on a distinguished road
Getting ready to do this in a couple days , just grabbing everything I need first . I bought 2 packs of the doorman foulers , all the pictures here say " blocked image" , question is they already have holes drilled out in them , am I suppose to drill that hole larger to 1/2" ? Not sure what size the existing hole is in them . Someone said you wanna use 3 of them on the rear sensor if they're the short foulers ? I also read if you use plumbers tape / thread seal and stick some of the gutted material between the 2 foulers it acts as a mini cat for the sensor ? I've seen them presold that like that actually but they're like $80 each . If your using the old material that was clogged wouldn't it just clog in the fouler ? Or pack it loosely I suppose . Anyways , some input would be great , love to get it right the first time !
Jayannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2020, 10:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
When I did this, I had to buy 2 pack of 2, you’ll need to drill out 2 of them with 1/2 inch hole or so, the drilled ones go on your O2 sensor first, and then the u drilled ones screw on to the drilled one

So u end up with O2 sensor > drilled spacer > regular spacer > exhaust pipe
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 26th, 2020, 01:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ya I bought 2 packs of 2 . Saw people saying the rear sensor was still throwing codes and it stopped by adding a 3rd spacer . And mine came with holes in them already that look like they'd be a half inch but I haven't measured . I read somewhere on here in a cat gutting post to save the material and pack some of it in between the spacers and use plumbers thread tape to get a better seal , the person that said that has never had a code pop up
Old July 28th, 2020, 12:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Finally got it all gutted today 🙂 I was just thinking to myself I may have done thing wrong . I put the two spacers on each of the 02 sensors that screw into the top of the manifold . You don't have to do anything to the bottom 2 sensors ? I know my 3rd cat is toast as well but I'm having it cut out asap . I was code free and still code free but I can't see how that'll last without changing anything to the bottom sensors ? Are those for the 3rd cat ? Or is there yet another 02 sensor down pipe for that ?
Old July 28th, 2020, 07:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayannon View Post
Finally got it all gutted today 🙂 I was just thinking to myself I may have done thing wrong . I put the two spacers on each of the 02 sensors that screw into the top of the manifold . You don't have to do anything to the bottom 2 sensors ? I know my 3rd cat is toast as well but I'm having it cut out asap . I was code free and still code free but I can't see how that'll last without changing anything to the bottom sensors ? Are those for the 3rd cat ? Or is there yet another 02 sensor down pipe for that ?
No no no no no

You put the spacers on the bottom o2 sensors

Not the top

Do not run or drive this car until this is fixed

U will run dangerous air fuel ratios

Your top sensors are for the air fuel ratios

Bottom are to check efficiency of the manifold cats

The third cat is unmonitored

The computer has no idea if it’s there, clogged, or removed, no sensor for it
Old July 28th, 2020, 11:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

Ugh ! I just assumed the spacers were for the 02's I removed . . . Got confused cause in the write up he says you need spacers but doesn't even talk about or show the bottom 02's . I drove it home completely fine , ran great . Guess I'll just remove the spacers and leave the bottom
Old July 28th, 2020, 12:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayannon View Post
Ugh ! I just assumed the spacers were for the 02's I removed . . . Got confused cause in the write up he says you need spacers but doesn't even talk about or show the bottom 02's . I drove it home completely fine , ran great . Guess I'll just remove the spacers and leave the bottom
If u put spacers one the top ones then they’ll read lean and your car will run maximum rich until the fuel trims max out positive

That’s terrible for gas mileage, power, and can even cause engine damage by washing the cylinder walls and excessive carbon build up from unburned fuel, and catalytic converter damage

Last edited by pcfreak4; July 28th, 2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old July 28th, 2020, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Seemed totally fine , didn't smell or anything . Heading back to the shop right now to change them out . Thanks so much , maybe I should add that to the how to , maybe it's common knowledge but I had no idea . . .
Old July 28th, 2020, 04:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Took the spacers off the top ones , was only able to get one of the bottom sensors out though , the easy one lol . Lube , heat , 2 juice monkeys pulling a wrench on it and won't budge , rounded off the sensor socket , no way to get the impact on it with that rail in the way . Gonna see if a shop can get it when I have the 3rd neutered . Still no codes anyways

Tags
back, bolts, cats, day, exhaust, gasket, hanger, manifold, muffler, rattling, sensors, sound, video, weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in