OBX headers - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2018, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Cless
Vehicle: 06Evo 9 / 08 Eclipse SEGT
Clessy has a spectacular aura about
OBX headers

So i've looked and red some topics and I just kinda want a more clear cut answer

I've got a GT. If I get the obx headers is this all I will need to do to have the car and pass emissions.

Extend the wires for the o2 sensors
Use double spacers or fowlers on the rear 2 sensors.
Add a bung for the egr value

Also can I simply use block off plates and eliminate the egr valve?

On my 2g eclipse I blocked them off but kept the sensor plugged in and tucked it away. It reads nothing but the clear air its around because its not into the egr pipping anymore but, i've never thrown a code.

I really would like to know if thats doable first because one doesnt want to delete the egr and then have issues and have to get right back in there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Stainle...Xobx.TRS1.TSS0

Someone recent bought and reviewed on ebay and they were less than impressed and it looks like theres plenty of room for improvements.
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Martino
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Plain Jane is a jewel in the roughPlain Jane is a jewel in the rough
OBX is a knock-off of RIPP's long-tube design, so the quality is often hit or miss. Seeing as how it has no cats, it might not pass an emissions test. If you're looking for quality headers, definitely look into RRE. Fit & fitment is perfect the first time and I've yet to encounter a single problem with mine. They even come with defoulers to trick the O sensors into not throwing a cat code if you're planning on keeping the stock tune. Had mine on for 2-3 weeks and it never coded once. Would highly recommend them over anybody else
Old July 19th, 2018, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

RRE site doesnt load for me where did you order yours from?

Also from imagine comparisons the obx and rre look like a completely different design.

Last edited by Clessy; July 19th, 2018 at 05:25 PM.
Clessy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 19th, 2018, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Taylor
Orion3003 is on a distinguished road
» RRE 4G Eclipse Parts Road /// Race Engineering
Orion3003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2018, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe i'm crazy are the only things they're offering short tube headers now. They literally look of the same length as the oem ones minus cats.
Old July 19th, 2018, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Get a tune from Hackish on here (Fastworks tune). You'll pass an E test without spacers, and gain more power from the tune than from the headers

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2018, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I didn't even know our stock ecu could be tuned. If i can just tune pass emissions why not just go the cheaper obx route anyways?
Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Kevin
Vehicle: 2008 Eclispe GT 6MT
#TampaEclipse is on a distinguished road
The OBX headers are fine. There's a couple of vids of people running them on Youtube. Don't listen to people who haven't purchased and installed them. They literally do not know what they are talking about when they've never seen or used the product before.
#TampaEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 28th, 2018, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cop Magnet

Cat Fling Champion!
Name: Brendon
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse SE V6
brendonalgeier has a spectacular aura about
RRE has been a long-standing reputable vendor, supporting the 4G (and Evo- my new team!) platform. The shorty headers they offer are run by MOST members a) because they're available, and b) they're high quality. OBX, as Marty mentioned, is the Chinese knock-off brand; they are the only long tubes offered, though. As he said, they're hit or miss. You'll read all sorts of reviews from members on here. Some people had fitment issues with OBX, some made it out alright. The moral of the story is; both will probably work fine; RRE is just more widely known as reputable, and members will vouch for them all day over OBX. It also comes down to your application, as to if shortys or long tubes are best for you. No one is bashing OBX or saying they're long tubes are bad; we're simply saying RRE is the tried and true, 4g good ol' boys.

For the record; I got out of my 4g prior to installing headers, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I was looking into the OBX long tubes too, because of those long tube gainz. That said, my two dearest homies are both running RRE shortys, and have nothing but good things to say about the product, and the company. At this point, I'd go with RRE (if I was in the market for headers), because I've begun to see the benefit of spending a bit more money, for a better, more reputable product.
Old August 28th, 2018, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Andres
Vehicle: 2009 GT
SuperEvilnine will become famous soon enough
Dully noted, thx!
SuperEvilnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
145, 2005, 2008, 2g eclipse, air, back, block, car, clear, code, delete, ebay, eclipse, egr, header, headers, issues, mivec, obx, obx headers, rear, red, spacers, valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in