I have a question Performance Mods - New to 4G - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > 4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific

4G Eclipse GT/SE Specific 3.8L V6 (6G75) Specific Forum

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2020, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jon
newbie4g is on a distinguished road
Performance Mods - New to 4G

I do not have a 4G yet but if/when I do I plan on getting a GT with a manual transmission. I had heard there wasn't much that could be done to it. Maybe
I have read bad info, I am not sure. If the V-6 starts at 260HP (I think I read), how much power can be added to it? What type of mods can be added?

Does anyone know of shops that work on 4Gen Eclipses in the South Carolina/North Carolina/Georgia area?
newbie4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2020, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Basic mods include RRE headers, a 2.75" exhaust, cold air intake, and a tune. Good for about 280whp vs the stock 250whp on the GT.

Then custom work to the head can be done, or a very rare few have added turbos. This is entirely custom, unlike on a GS where you can buy most of what you need. Building the GT motor is also prohibitively expensive vs the GS for the same power

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2020, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sabertooth - Thanks for the info/responses. Around how much should mods like those cost? I was hoping to get as close to 400 as possible. No idea how a FWD car handles with over 300hp though. I have only had that RWD vehicles which had between 550-650, never had it tested but the supercharger was rated for 670.

Old May 11th, 2020, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock

At 400hp, first and second are useless on sport tires, but would be better on race tires.

As for cost, I have no idea what it would cost to get the head work done for 400hp. Custom intake manifold porting, larger throttle body (something you won't see me suggest on a GS), custom head porting, larger valves (unsure which model you can source them from), custom cams. Probably in the $3000-$3500 area, which isn't terrible. But not great

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 11th, 2020, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Which is likely to get above 300hp though, the 4cyl or the 6 cyl? I am definitely leaning towards the 6 cyl. It is possible to put a turbo on the 6 cyl?
Old May 11th, 2020, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie4g View Post
Which is likely to get above 300hp though, the 4cyl or the 6 cyl? I am definitely leaning towards the 6 cyl. It is possible to put a turbo on the 6 cyl?
Not really
pcfreak4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2020, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
From what i have read 6cyl is all custom made when it comes to going forced induction. 4cyl has alot more aftermarket support and can make more whp than a GT with a turbo.
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2020, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Basically Stock

The GS is easier to pass 300hp, as well as lighter and more fuel efficient

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
The GS is easier to pass 300hp, as well as lighter and more fuel efficient
Where can I find a shop that I can trust to work on a 4g though, either 4cyl or 6cyl regarding mods, etc? I am talking about the South Carolina/North Carolina/Georgia area. It seems like I can find a good automatic stock with lower mileage easier than a manual, kinda odd. Also, it seems like GS's are holding their value as well as GT's most places I look. Finding the BEST quality car is as important as finding a shop too I think. Anyone have ideas?!
Old May 14th, 2020, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Basically Stock

If you're willing to drive, Stewart Auto up here in London Ontario is pretty good... Hahaha. If you'll be having a shop install all the mods, you may be best off capping things off at the bolt on GT mark. Having a custom turbo install done will be costly.

I'd guess the reason the manual are more expensive is because in the USA, the vast majority of people can't drive manual so don't buy them. But the few people that do REALLY want their sports car to be a manual. So it pumps up the values in the tertiary resale markets

For a GT, the auto is a fine choice, and I even have a project mulling around in my head involving a GT build that I would prefer to be an auto.

For the GS, there's no question, better results have been had with the manual trans on forced induction builds. That said, the sample size of auto trans cars is so small, we can't be fully sure what all factors were involved. One such issue came from gear shifting on the auto trans, but I suspect that in Fastworks you may be able to adjust the shift angle and negate that issue.

Turbo GS install would include, heavily summurized:
Mount new manifold
Custom downpipe
Change MAP sensor
Custom intake
Custom charge piping
Custom intercooler mounting
Custom oil lines
Custom coolant lines (if required by your turbo)
Potential for wastegate exhaust piping (depending on if internal or external)
Change injectors

And maybe some stuff I forgot

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Tags
4gen, bad, georgia, info, manual, mods, north, north carolina, performance, power, shops, south carolina, transmission, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in