Review Saber 50W Pro LED - DDMTuning - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Audio & Lighting

Audio & Lighting Head units, subs, amps, caps, neon lighting, LEDs, and anything else that uses a DC power source not tuning related goes here.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2020, 03:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Garrett
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS Spyder
iBlackSunday is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Saber 50W Pro LED - DDMTuning

If you don't care for the story on how I received this product, jump down to the "Product Review" bolded headline. That is where I start talking about the actual product and the installation.

I contacted DDMTuning about a month ago to see if I could get a pair of these Saber 50W Pro LED's to do a review on since I haven't seen any of their LED headlights reviewed or even mentioned here on Club4G, and from some other reviews on the internet, I noticed these would probably be the best bang for your buck. The retail price of these headlights were ~$105 without the decoder (I did not use, but they sent them regardless), which were sent to me as a promotional item for free to review. I've given some thought on these and would love to give you my opinion without being bias on the fact that they were free.

So it started with an e-mail to their basic 'contact' e-mail address. Sarah, the individual I received an e-mail response back from was very kind and got straight to the point. Her and I talked back and forth to get me the correct pair of headlights I would need, and she actually mentioned the Saber 50W Pro LED. I did some looking over the product page and figured this would be the perfect set for me. Super bright, very powerful and a color range of around 6000k, which was exactly what I was looking for in a headlight.

Previously I had used halogen bulbs which burned out cooonstantly. Since owning the car (I purchased in Feb 2018) I've gone through a total of 3 bulbs. This was starting to wear on my mental AND my wallet, and I wanted to finally upgrade.

This product was shipped January 9th 2020 and I had began to worry if I would actually receive them. I was told it could take up to 2 weeks (14 days) to receive them since they were coming from China and checking the tracking number every single day, it showed they were still processing in China from the 10th until the 25th. Finally on January 29th, the tracking information changed and I had an estimated receive date of February 3rd. Once I received them, I couldn't wait to install them, and went straight to taking pictures. I could hardly contain myself I was so excited.

PRODUCT REVIEW
These bulbs came in their own nicely packaged box and were almost TOO secure but came out with a little wrestling. Also included were the decoder chips that I did not need (Right side of box), but DDM Tuning wanted to make sure I had the correct hardware for them to work properly, so they included them in case my DRL's acted weird. I have done a DRL delete, so I can't even test if these are needed. With the DRL Delete, I've had zero problems

The side of the box explained all of the advanced details of the product which was a nice touch, and every other size of the box was completely plain. No big deal, not much you need to put on a box and I appreciate them not throwing keywords at me like "MEGA BRIGHT" or "SINCE 19XX". Simple and not overwhelming.

Also in the box came a small sheet of instructions that were very basic and left room for error, but for those that have never installed headlight bulbs before, it's fairly simple to follow. Since I had replaced 3 already in the past, I was a veteran at it and figured I wouldn't need them. These actually gave me some issues when installing them........since I didn't read the instructions. After reading the instructions and starting over, they installed very nicely. For our cars, the headlights they use are H13's if you have a reflector style headlight (Not Projector). The instructions have you remove the ring attached to the headlight and install that on the car FIRST, which I was attempting to install while still attached to the LED Bulbs. I also had some trouble figuring out the orientation they were supposed to be installed into the ring, but after googling a few things, I realized I was just over thinking it and the DDM Logo on the back of the LED's were supposed to be oriented like normal, not upside down, but like how they seem like they are supposed to be. Left to right like all words read. Once I got them installed like that correctly, I was MUCH happier with the results of how they looked. I had installed them incorrectly the first time, and the brights didn't seem bright, but now they're INCREDIBLE. Seriously, these headlights blow me away. You're never going to miss a street sign again, and the visibility with these new super bright LED's is intense. I never thought driving at night would be this clear but I was totally wrong and these bulbs have changed my opinion on 'all headlights are the same'.

Now as for product quality, these seem very durable and sturdy. They did come with a few finger prints on the LED Chip Aluminum Shield from the factory, but wiped right off with a microfiber. I don't think LED's are the same as halogen in that finger oil and grease can harm them, but I wanted to make sure and got them really clean. As you can tell, both sides of the chip have two sets of 3 LED's side by side with a fairly large fan/heatsink on them. Yes, these DO have fans! I did some testing with noise level when my Eclipse was off, and they were pretty noisey, but my car is so loud anyways, I couldn't here them from 2 inches away when my car was on, so no worries there. I did notice CLICKS when I turned the headlights on as well as switching from LO to HI beams, but again, there is no way you'd here this when driving. I can't, and my car is so loud I'm surprised my neighbors haven't contacted the landlord yet. These bulbs turn on instantly with zero hesitation and are bright from the second you want them bright. Nothing like HID's where you have to wait some time for them to heat up.

The cable on these are fairly long for where they are going, but I'm totally okay with having too much cord as opposed to having too little and it causing an issue. I just zip tied (Oh yeah, they included small zip ties for this exact reason) the box under the metal frame that covers the headlight housing and you would never know the difference. I noticed the box does get warm to the touch, but nothing too overly hot that would cause issues or melted wires. I had drove the car home from work with the lights installed in the wrong orientation, and once I got into my garage, I grabbed the heat sink to remove them and re-orient them and they were physically cool to the touch. That heat sink and fan was definitely working correctly.

I'm just going to let these two images speak for themselves when it comes to brightness and how they look compared to the halogen. Now remember, I DID have my driver side headlight burnt out at the time of installing these as well as having them installed incorrectly, so I did the best I could with making a fair comparison. I will be taking more pictures as I own these on dark nights and with street signs. Look forward to those images in the next coming days. Take a look. First image is darkened to show a little more of the lumen difference between Halogen (Right) and the LED (Left). Please excuse the nasty bug ridden dirty Eclipse that is my daily driver. Let's just focus on the headlights.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Since I've only owned these for 1-2 nights, and haven't had an extended period of time to test these out, I will be doing an update on these in the coming month, but so far, this kit has completely blown my mind. I wanted to write this review while the installation was still fresh in my brain which is why there isn't much for end results but still include a large amount of information. Installing these were very simple if you're somebody with a little more common sense than myself (Or let the dumb ones like me figure it out first, and write a review!), and I don't see any other LED kits at this price being anything to phone home about above these. Honestly, even with these being $105, they're a top tier product. These look amazing and make you feel fuzzy inside whenever you turn them on. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend these to anybody looking to get a pair of LED headlights without wanting to spend $150+ for some other brand, especially if you've never owned a pair of LED lights and want to get into the game with some inexpensive but VERY good lights, this is it!

If anybody has any questions or concerns, please let me know and I can help in any way possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (74.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (46.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (48.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (25.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (24.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (68.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (22.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (32.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (36.2 KB, 19 views)

Maintenance: Timing belt-118k | Auto Trans Fluid-131k | Spark Plugs+Grommets+Valve Cover Gasket-125k | Passenger CV Axle-144k | Mag Oil Plug-153k

Future Work (12/10/2019): Replace Convertible Top

Last Oil Change-153,000
Valvoline 5w30 Full Synthetic + Bosch Oil Filter

Last edited by iBlackSunday; February 5th, 2020 at 05:40 AM.
iBlackSunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2020, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Nice write up!
I've been running DDM tuning HID's for about 6 years now, (only changed HID's once due to car sitting for 2 years and rat chewed up harness)
But besides that I love them, they have never faded with brightness compared to other brands,
For a cheaper HID, They definitely stand up compared to other brands

The HID's are installed in the DEPO projector headlights, that have been completely retrofited to better projectors and Hibeams with Halos
Old February 5th, 2020, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Basically Stock

6 years trouble free? Damn. I've changed 2 of them in 2017(bought in 2015), and in 2019 they were flickering again, faded, and taking a long time to heat up. I'm due for new highs and lows again, and thinking I'll go LED this time around, or even just a good halogen at this point

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 5th, 2020, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
6 years trouble free? Damn. I've changed 2 of them in 2017(bought in 2015), and in 2019 they were flickering again, faded, and taking a long time to heat up. I'm due for new highs and lows again, and thinking I'll go LED this time around, or even just a good halogen at this point
I had some flickering at one point, but that was due to bad connections from factory harness,
I installed a HID relay harness and fixed the flickering issue,
I'm also running the 55 W 6000K color
Old February 5th, 2020, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rowen244 is on a distinguished road
Any issues with blinding other drivers with theses being in the reflector style assembly?
Rowen244 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 5th, 2020, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen244 View Post
Any issues with blinding other drivers with theses being in the reflector style assembly?
not to mention, the legality, pretty sure hid bulbs inside regular housings are illegal, at least in most US states
pcfreak4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 5th, 2020, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Optimally, you'd use a projector setup for all lights. But this should work fine in stock light housings

EDIT:
Here's a nice guide on how and why they work how they do
https://bestheadlightbulbs.com/proje...or-headlights/

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; February 5th, 2020 at 11:56 AM.
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
50 watt, 50w, amazing, cars, ddm tuning, ddmtuning, drl, eclipse, h10, h13, headlights, hid, installation, kit, kits, led, light bulbs, noise, opinion, projector, saber led

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in