Lancer radio harness compatibility - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Audio & Lighting

Audio & Lighting Head units, subs, amps, caps, neon lighting, LEDs, and anything else that uses a DC power source not tuning related goes here.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2020, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: AJ
Vehicle: 09 Spyder GS
BlankWave is on a distinguished road
Lancer radio harness compatibility

I've been combing the local junkyard inventories, waiting patiently to find a 4G Eclipse with an aftermarket radio that I can pirate the harness from and maybe the head unit. $100 for a harness just doesn't sit right with me. I will spend the money if I need to, but at the moment I'm frozen on expensive upgrades because I might be switching into a GT. A junkyard harness would go a long way right now.

I still haven't found a suitable Eclipse (although two new ones, 2010 and 2012 respectively, both look like excellent wheel donors since they've got the premium wheels on them!). What I did find were a 2008 and 2010 Lancer. Both are outfitted with touchscreen radios; not sure if either came stock with one but the pictures don't look like factory radios.

Any idea if I could potentially rip their harnesses out and have them be compatible with my Eclipse? I'm also very interested in the steering wheel of the 2008 Lancer, which I hear may be compatible with the 4G. The airbag hasn't been deployed and it looks shinier and nicer than the 4G steering wheel.

Any help would be sweet, or even if any other noteworthy parts are swappable with the 2008/2010 Lancers. Neither are Evo. I'm probably headed down soon for the Eclipse wheels anyway, so I'm down to get dirty and pull what I can. Thanks in advance if you can offer any info. Wasn't able to find it searching.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the 2008's interior with the steering wheel and radio. I'm just now noticing those A/C control buttons are pretty shiny too.

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS
Proud Member of the RAVE RED Gang.
Modifications: DC Sports CAI, Cool Sunglasses

Last edited by BlankWave; August 8th, 2020 at 05:38 AM.
BlankWave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2020, 05:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
As far as finding a junkyard radio harness for the Eclipse is gonna be tough, especially because non RF cars don’t even use the RF harness you’re looking for, like mine, it has the generic $10 wiring harness and works great but wouldn’t work right for you because you’d be missing the front door speakers and subwoofer

I mean u can use the generic Metra harness on an RF car you just need to run speaker wires to your front door speakers manually from it and bypass the stock amp

As far as pulling a Lancer head unit? Highly doubt it would work, and idk why you would want to, my buddy has a 2015 Lancer (GTS?) with touch screen and it doesn’t do much, doesn’t even have nav, you’d be way better off with a good aftermarket radio, even a cheaper $200 one with a screen would do as much as the Lancer screen

As far as pulling the wheel, I’d be concerned about the airbag and all the recalls, make sure you get a copy of the car’s VIN that you pull an airbag from, so u can check that VIN now and anytime ever in the future for airbag recalls, if it’s already got an airbag recall open or ever does in the future then u would need to stop or not use that airbag/wheel immediately

But then a Mitsubishi dealer wouldn’t help u get a fixed airbag for free since it’s the wrong car

I’m personally sticking with our wheel since none of the 4G’s airbags ever got recalled knock on wood

Last edited by pcfreak4; August 8th, 2020 at 12:33 PM.
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2020, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry I was on vacation and only just now seeing this.

I'm not after the factory Lancer headunit. I assumed it was aftermarket and thought perhaps the wiring harness from the Lancer might match up with the 4G Eclipse. That seems unlikely now that I've considered it longer.

I'm still interested in the wheel though, and that's good advice to check for recalls. What I may do instead is pull another 4G Eclipse wheel and modify it myself to look/feel nicer and swap them.

Any idea if putting something over the airbag cover would be dangerous (assuming I don't block it from being able to blow off like it's supposed to)? I'm thinking about using thick foam to shape a more modern looking cover, then fiberglass/sand/paint and stick it over the existing wheel and cover. Nothing too heavy or cumbersome, just some silver-colored accenting like the Lancer wheel to make it more modern looking (and maybe an LED Bishi logo if I'm feeling extra gaudy haha). Might even tap my friend with a 3d printer to see if I can figure something out that way.

I'm still shopping for a GT so I haven't done anything to my GS for so long. Really itching for a project.

Old August 14th, 2020, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes putting anything over the air bag is highly dangerous

Do not do that

And do not attempt to modify the air bag in any way

Last edited by pcfreak4; August 14th, 2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old August 14th, 2020, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah, just looked up how an airbag cover works and I see the issue. The cover might keep it from splitting and launch the whole thing at me. If I do it, I'll stick to the perimeter and wheel and just leave the center area alone.

Maybe while I'm at the junkyard I'll take a tour of the wrecked 4Gs and observe how their airbag covers have deployed haha.

Old August 14th, 2020, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well I used to have a deployed steering wheel bag and driver seat belt but I threw them away when I rebuilt my car

It splits open in the middle and deploys

I am highly recommend u to not modify it in any way, its not worth it man

Tags
2008, 2010, 2012, 4g eclipse, aftermarket, airbag, eclipse, evo, factory, fit, harness, head, head unit, lancer, offer, parts, pictures, premium, radio, rip, steering wheel, stock, uni, wheel, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in