What to do with Center Dash Display - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Audio & Lighting

Audio & Lighting Head units, subs, amps, caps, neon lighting, LEDs, and anything else that uses a DC power source not tuning related goes here.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

curtiscooper is on a distinguished road
What to do with Center Dash Display

I put and aftermarket stereo in my 2007 Eclipse which left behind a non-functioning Center Dash Display that takes up a lot of space and only displays a clock and "Err Com" where the factory stereo used to show track, etc... what a waste of space. It would be nice to have a trip computer, outside temp, etc. Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that would bolt in here and give me more usability or something that would fit in the space?
curtiscooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Willow Spring Racer

Name: Peachs
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT 6SPD
wgpengineering will become famous soon enough
Idk if you have a GS or GT, but my 06 GT came with an outside temp gauge and a compass. Somewhere on the forum I believe there is a group of people trying to get a triple gauge pod developed for that location... I'd say do a search on the interior section of the forum for any info on that or other aftermarket bits...

Mods: Fujita5 CAI, MR coilovers, custom 2.5" cat back w/ electric cutout, rear seat delete, 4-point harness, RRE headers/EGR delete, 19x8.5 XXRs, Pirelli 255/45ZR19 front and 255/50ZR19 rear
3000GT TT setup coming soon (I broke the HX55)
wgpengineering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

curtiscooper is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I have a GS. I am trying to find a trip computer or something that shows outside temp, compass, or a trip computer that would fit that space, but I'm not having any luck.
curtiscooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 19th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007 Spyder GS
MACH1219 is an unknown quantity at this point
ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
MACH1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Sparky!

Vehicle: 07 GT
snoeclipse is just really nicesnoeclipse is just really nicesnoeclipse is just really nicesnoeclipse is just really nice
There are also loads of rear view mirrors that include compass and temp. Some even support a backup camera.
07 GT Sportronic, Deep Red Pearl. Daily-driver year around, good tires really make a difference in the snow! I like the 6G75 just like it is, the 5sp slushbox really does need a real mechanical LSD though......
snoeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
amb7247 is on a distinguished road
I was going to say electrical tape to cover the lower part but these work to. Be great if ther is one that fits the exact spot.
amb7247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Dustin
Vehicle: 08/eclipse/gt
DustinPeters is a jewel in the roughDustinPeters is a jewel in the rough
Hey guys, here is a pretty easy/cheap way to cover the bottom of the display without using electrical tape,

all you need is a pry too, screwdriver, knife, and some black abs plastic.

First, remove cover from the top dash(clipped in) then remove the 2 phillips screws securing the display in. disconnect the harnesses and remove. Remove the phillips screws securing the plastic cover to the display and seperate the two peices. Cut a peice of abs plastic to fit half of the screen, use a dab of glue to secure it in place, and then reinstall.

heres some pics

DustinPeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Andrew
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
ashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to all
I don't know how well this is going to go. But..."Hey y'all watch this!"

I'm about to get a ScanGauge II, a dremel, & some epoxy. Then I'm going to attempt to mount a Scangauge 2, semi-permanently in the center dash pod, getting rid of "ECOM" and gaining something fairly useful and tasty in return.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good luck!
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

ashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to all
So far, I'm amazed at how easy this car is to work. That center dash piece almost falls out if you know where to poke it.

I'm trying to go slow and do it right. Three things have to happen in order for this to go well:
  1. I have to fashion a support/box inside the white frame piece that backs up the charcoal trim up front. This only has to have the right position and depth, because velcro backing (included with SG2) will hold it in and make it very serviceable.
  2. Open up (cut with dremel) the faceplate to accomodate the SG2's face, which is larger (mostly wider) than the ECOM display.
  3. Hide the cable from the SG2 to the ODBII Connector. No issues there.
Here's a minor thing I'm worried about:

The properly cut hole will remove the "H and M" holes, but it will not remove the "H" and "M" (circled in red). Is there a solvent that will easily remove the print from the plastic without melting the plastic?

Or should I just pick up a can of black/charcoal spray paint?
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Icant see the pic but acetone or w-sol might work. I'd just paint it if it were me
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rubbing alcohol and lighter fluid were both a bust, at least with my patience. Gonna pick up a can of paint in the morning.
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Brady
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
silent has a spectacular aura about
Maybe try some very fine sandpaper?
silent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
All go and no show

Name: Greg
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GS
Army_NJ is a jewel in the roughArmy_NJ is a jewel in the rough
Try picking at it with an exacto knife or box cutter.
Installed: DC Sports CAI, Outlaw Engineering TB Spacer, GT TB, TB Bypass, Tenzo R Lowering Springs, Sickspeed Oil Catch Can, RF Head Unit, RF Speakers, Aem Uego, Gutted exhaust manifold, Redline Tuning hood struts, Magnaflow Catback.
On hand: A ton of stuff that im too lazy/dont have time to install.
Next project: Sneaky sneakys.
Army_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just paint it lol.
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Keith
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
gipsonke is on a distinguished road
Did you ever get the Scangauge mounted? I just bought an after-market head unit and have the dreaded "E-Com" error. So, I think I'm going to get a Scangauge.

Best wishes,

Keith
gipsonke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

This one is still on my short list but that list grows every day, and gets shuffled twice.

It's made worse by the fact that the ScanGauge doesn't look all that bad sticking out of the hole in the dash where the clock display used to be, and it works great (!) so even driving the car I don't have a lot of incentive to fix the way it is.

I'm also apprehensive about taking a dremel to that piece of plastic, but I'll get over that quickly.

Far too many irons in the fire, both wrt the Eclipse, and other stuff. I'd love to say I'm going to get it done this weekend, but priority #1 this weekend is the manifold resonator delete, then the rest of life that doesn't involve the Eclipse.

As soon as I do it, though, pictures!
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok, you inspired me. Check this out. It's a first attempt, and it's not finished. Currently it is just jammed into a hole that I dremelled out. Broke two sanding/cutting disks and re-affirmed the need for goggles when using power tools. Currently the hole is too small, so the ScanGauge jams in there and sticks. Honestly, tension isn't a bad mount. I'll probably file it the rest of the way. The dremel was definitely the right tool to this point, though.

A lot of the face of this unit is hidden behind other plastic. I traced the trim line on the bezel while it was installed in the car, so I'll be sure to cut the hole in a place that makes sense. Notice the black trim piece and the white anchor piece are put together. With them put together I can put the unit in a vise for the dremel work, without worrying about scratching the bezel.

This is a before pic of the bezel in original form. Apologies, it's also a before picture of the process "organized my toolbench":

I'll probably spray paint this piece with dark gray Plasti Dip, whenever Lowes gets that in for me.

This is a bad picture because it's supposed to show how bad it doesn't fit in the not-quite-large-enough hole I made.

How it looks as a part of the larger console. ScanGauge allows you to set one of several different colors for the display, red, green, blue, blue-green, amber, light blue, etc...Even though this is set to green, I think I like red the most.

It's not done, but it does look a whole lot better, and more promising. My goal is to make a very solid and good looking mount, while the very portable ScanGauge is still removeable.

I'll get out there tomorrow and take some better pics with something besides an iPhone 4S.

One more thing, routing the ODB2 cable was a snap. The ODB2 connector is just above your right shin when driving. With the radio out, it is very easy to get the cable from the ODB2, into the radio compartment, and UP into the dash unit.

Last edited by ashort; October 5th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Jerzey G

Name: Anthony
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse Custom
Anthony27 is a jewel in the roughAnthony27 is a jewel in the rough
i like

sent from Jersey
Anthony27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Bought set of mini-files to work on that hole, make it look a bit neater and get that ScanGauge to fit nicely. Then, I'm going to Plasti-Dip that one piece to hide blemishes, and perhaps hide the seam. It'll be either black or gunmetal gray. Desperately need two things: 1. The time to do the work. 2. My shipment of Plasti-Dip from dipyourcar.com.
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Nick
Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
disillusions is a jewel in the roughdisillusions is a jewel in the rough
Maybe I'm still half asleep, but the fitment didn't look that bad.

Welcome to North 4G Korea
disillusions is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

My pictures don't show the flaws. It's not horrible, but "not horrible" isn't my goal. The gauge sticks out farther than I'd like. "More flush" to the bezel, is what I'm aiming for.

I'll get some good before and after shots when I finish it. When I pull the ScanGauge you can see what a real butcher job I did on it. Shooting for this weekend but that's already stupid busy. Bugs me that I have no time for this. Me and my ride need a vacation so I can get some things done on her.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

Story of every 4G owner's life, lol. I did notice it not being super flush though, but it could be worse. It still looks better than e-comm

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

OK, ALL DONE. And I have the pics of the process. Here:

Before. Note the pencil guide marks and the "H" and "M" on the right. As well as the way the Gauge sticks out of the bezel. It is VERY important to outline the exposed portion of the bezel. I used a pencil, but I painted over it all with Plasti-Dip so I could have used just about anything. The reason: There is very little clearance for the ScanGauge to fit in this space. Unless you mark it before you remove it, you won't know where to put the hole, and it will look like you have a lot of space to work with, when you actually have very little. Mark that bad boy!

The definition of "janky". Not maligning the tool, but a dremel-like rotary tool got me this far. In hindsight, I'd use it again. I'm sure I'd use it better next time.

Looking for:
  • Uniform color.
  • slightly larger hole with square corners in which to mount the gauge.
  • Elimination of the "H" and "M", which are now meaningless
  • Get that Gauge farther into the bezel so it looks like it might belong there.

The Tools and materials: assorted files (1 large flat, 1 detail), 1 can Plasti-Dip (I only have Black right now), and the dash bezel.

Go back and forth with the files, flaking away the excess, cleaning the files (they aren't made for plastic!), test the Gauge for fit, then rinse and repeat until YOU feel you are done.

For me, something massively incredibly cool happened. I discovered that the seam in the side of the plastic case of the ScanGauge, created by the faceplate of the SG2, SNAPPED into the hole I was crafting. It is the perfect tension mount. I carefully finished the job, because I did NOT want to ruin this beautiful circumstance.

I wanted the Plasti-Dip to help seal the seam between the SG2 and the bezel. That helps solidify the mount, plus hiding the seam would make everything look a little better. I had mixed results with that seam, but it's why I painted the bezel with the Gauge in it. I taped the face with some basic blue interior trim tape. Cut it square with a sharp utility knife. I cut the tape after applying it, the SG2 is no worse for the wear.

I found that my heat gun on low (a hair dryer on high would produce identical results) helped accelerate the drying cycles and I only spent about 20 minutes applying 4 THIN coats of Plasti-Dip.

For the record, I LOVE how this stuff looks, and how easy it is to apply. I think I'm hooked. Good thing I have 5 more cans on the way (Silver Metallizer, red, Black, Gray, and White).

The finished product!

Time to put it all back together. Snap the two indicator lights into the freshly painted bezel. Don't worry about which one goes where, put them where you want to see them, they have different connectors so you can't cross your wires.

Time to carry the two pieces (black bezel and white base) separately to the car for installation.

Feed the ODB-2 cable through the back of the white base, plug it into the ScanGauge 2, and snap the two pieces of plastic together.

Plug the two indicator light connectors in, paying attention to form factor on each one. Grab the ground wire, screw it down with one of the two retaining screws that holds the bezel assembly in the car. Snap the plastic cover back on.

Enjoy the coolness!

This is the first time I've ever done a formal mutilation of a piece of plastic for re-use. I certainly had plenty of time to think about it. if I had to do it again, I'm sure I'd do a better job, but this looks pretty good to me. I like it, I'm keeping it!

ECOM Error problem SOLVED. =-D

Last edited by ashort; October 13th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired User

Vehicle: 2006/eclipse/gt
crazymedic has a spectacular aura about
Looks good man
crazymedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #26 (permalink)

Most excellent! Glad you liked the Dip too!

Old November 7th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
I love To Drift

Name: Jeremy
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT
Animefreak1983 is just really niceAnimefreak1983 is just really niceAnimefreak1983 is just really nice
Man I like this alot. Wish the light color was a little different to match the blue of the dash. But still impressive. Not something I'd be able to do . But give you major kudos .
Animefreak1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

You can select the light color. I can't see these pics from work but I think I posted it with the red light. There is blue, green, violet, cyan, it's fun. I forget what else. The blue display is pretty close to the factory dash lighting. I'll try to get a picture tonight and post it up.

And as for you being able to do it or not...DAMN, If I can pull it off, anyone can.

You need a Scangauge II ($160 ish at Autozone - OR the gauge of your choice), Dremel (or the $19.99 "close enough" rotary tool I bought at Menard's) a file set, plastidip, and some patience. Oh yeah, goggles/eye protection. I almost went blind (at least it felt that way!) when I was sawing into the plastic and a the rotary tool tossed a chip in my eye. That's the kind of thing my daughter (the ever insistent "helper") reports back to my wife!

Just keep working and thinking "this is my baby, I have to look at it, and it has to work when I am done!". Worked for me.
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #29 (permalink)

Scangauge lit in blue. iPhone 4S camera obviously needs work, this display looks a lot more blue than this picture shows. This looks more cyan, but in person it's very blue.

Old November 17th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #30 (permalink)
FLIP_SILVER

Name: Mark
Vehicle: 2012/eclipse/Gs
bobadim24 will become famous soon enough
wow i like! good job!!
bobadim24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
angel4g

Tournaments Won: 4

This is awesome! Im looking to get the scan gauge e. besides the scan gauge II showing more gauges and being able to check when the engine light come on. What is the difference? Lol
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #32 (permalink)

"The ScanGaugeE is specifically designed for all 1996 and newer cars & light trucks with an emphasis on fuel economy readings. It provides you with real-time information about your vehicle’s fuel economy through an intuitive graphic display. View your vehicles carbon footprint in real-time, track fuel costs as you drive and monitor your average MPG and trip MPG with dedicated, easy to access screens."

Compare the Features of the ScanGauge products : Linear Logic

It is smaller and $70 cheaper than the II.

Don't know about the other differences, trip computer and real-time mpg was all the "e" I was interested in when I bought the gauge. The "II" provides both of those, and I would NOT give up the ability to check and clear codes. I've delusions of using the X-gauge feature but I doubt I'll ever get to that.

I might go for the smaller form factor of the "e", but I wouldn't trade any of the features I enjoy for "computing CO2 emissions" and "MPG graph" that appear to be the only things the e has that the II does not. The real time mpg reading on the II is pretty nice. And real-time horsepower computation, while it will never be "dyno worthy", is pretty damned cool in a "butt dyno" kind of a way.

And...if you're in an Eclipse GS, you're not "hyper-miling". And if you think you are, please stop because eventually I'll wind up driving behind you and it'll just piss me off. =-D You can train your right foot to get better gas mileage maybe by 2-3 mpg. Watching it go from 24 to 27 can be satisfying.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #33 (permalink)

Name: Kat (Karolyn)
Vehicle: 2011 Spyder GT-P
Ratskat has a spectacular aura about
Great Job, if I had the Ecom error I would look into this - great solution and turnout

Redline Tuning hood lifts, Ralliart colour matched eyelids, painted "eclipse" fuel door & calipers, Kenwood DNX 7160 DD w/ bluetooth & Garmin GPS, Custom sealed sub box w/ Rockford Fosgate Amp & 10" sub, stubbie antenna & sexy 18" Rims. Purrrfect
Ratskat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

Here's an mpg trick you can use right now, but the ScanGauge will allow you to see it in action and be more effective at it. This particular trick won't piss me off if I'm behind you!:

Under certain conditions (foot off the accelerator with the car at sufficient speed) the ECU will stop powering the fuel injectors. This happens a lot, probably every time you drive your car. When you recognize it, you will be surprised that almost all of the noise a car makes is simply from it's moving parts, and almost none of it is from the continuous fuel-air explosions going on inside of the engine.

The ScanGauge displays this in the real-time mpg gauge as "MPG 9999". You can take advantage of this by lifting when going downhill and lifting as soon as you can before coming to a stop.

Realize that if the injectors stay powered off until the car stops, you'd have a stalled car, and you'd have to start it again. The car is smart enough to power the injectors at all times at lower speeds. There is a speed threshold where, as you slow down, it will turn them on again.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
angel4g

I've been looking at the scan gauges and it looks like the "ScanGaugeD" shows me the extact gauges that I want. That way I wouldnt have to do a 3 gauge pillar mod*
And although the "ScanGaugeD" says it's for diesel vehicles, how do you think it would work on our cars?*
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel4g View Post
I've been looking at the scan gauges and it looks like the "ScanGaugeD" shows me the extact gauges that I want. That way I wouldnt have to do a 3 gauge pillar mod*
And although the "ScanGaugeD" says it's for diesel vehicles, how do you think it would work on our cars?*
I'm no ScanGauge expert. You should call them, find out, and report the results back here.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #37 (permalink)
angel4g

Will do thanks for the info anyway man

Tags
07 eclipse, 2007, aftermarket, dash, display, eclipse, factory, fit, rip, show, uni, what to do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in