I have a question O2 or cats? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         
 

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Automotive News

Automotive News Latest in news in the automotive industry.


Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

  • Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2020, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Slowgt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 1
Slowgt is on a distinguished road
O2 or cats?

Sup guys, new member got the 6 speed v6 06 eclipse. High mileage. My question is whether it’s a common issue for these cars to have 02 sensor problems vs the likelihood that it’s my cars catalytic converter giving me check engine light? If it helps I have felt sudden loss of mpg over the past weeks
Slowgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 1st, 2020, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Kyle
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
Posts: 1,703
Rep Power: 4
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
The 06 GTs had cat problems yes
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 2nd, 2020, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Slowgt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 1
Slowgt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
The 06 GTs had cat problems yes
😧 I was afraid of that thanks
Slowgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old July 5th, 2020, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 

Name: Roger Kidder
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springvale, Maine
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT V6
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 4
Roger Kidder is on a distinguished road
O2 Sensor Issue

My 2008 GT had an O2 sensor issue for a while. I believe it was Bank A bottom. There was a significant loss of power until I got it fixed. It made a big difference!
Roger Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2020, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Kyle
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
Posts: 1,703
Rep Power: 4
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
The 06 GTs are notorious for killing the cats on the headers because of a wrongly made stock tune that was too rich and fouled the cats, there was a dealer reflash for this, if it was ever done, and there would already be damage to the cats before the reflash anyway
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2020, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Slowgt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 1
Slowgt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
The 06 GTs are notorious for killing the cats on the headers because of a wrongly made stock tune that was too rich and fouled the cats, there was a dealer reflash for this, if it was ever done, and there would already be damage to the cats before the reflash anyway
Yea I went to the mechanic and it’s the cat in bank 2. I live in Cali so I can’t say f’ it and get headers... Looking like a 1.3k cost atm. Might have to let her go and it saddens me cuz she’s perfect, I got her for 1.7k and was planning to restore her. Unless anyone here wanna sell me used cat I will probably have to get rid of her
Slowgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2020, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Shizahoffa's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 242
Rep Power: 3
Shizahoffa is on a distinguished road
Hey bro I’m in Cali. I have one rear cat for a GT that’s good. I sold the front but if the rear is the one you need then PM me!!

Also, if the code is what is bothering you, then maybe try putting an L shaped o2 sensor spacer spacer on it. The bottom sensor reads the cat and the top sensor reads the o2 for the car. Spacers go on the bottom to make it seem like the sensor is reading cleaner air, thus the car runs better. Unless of course the cat is already clogged.

Last edited by Shizahoffa; July 7th, 2020 at 06:47 AM.
Shizahoffa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2020, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Slowgt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 1
Slowgt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizahoffa View Post
Hey bro I’m in Cali. I have one rear cat for a GT that’s good. I sold the front but if the rear is the one you need then PM me!!

Also, if the code is what is bothering you, then maybe try putting an L shaped o2 sensor spacer spacer on it. The bottom sensor reads the cat and the top sensor reads the o2 for the car. Spacers go on the bottom to make it seem like the sensor is reading cleaner air, thus the car runs better. Unless of course the cat is already clogged.
Yea the code for it was P0431, most likely clogged tbh
Catalyst bank 2, my o2 sensors still work fine
Do any of you know what exact parts need to be fixed then? (Which of the cats or if it’s the manifold or both)
Slowgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 7th, 2020, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 

Name: Kyle
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
Posts: 1,703
Rep Power: 4
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
It’s your lucky day because Bank 2 should be the front manifold I believe
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2020, 01:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Slowgt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 1
Slowgt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
It’s your lucky day because Bank 2 should be the front manifold I believe
got it, will start looking at local junkyards for this and also try out the O2 spacers. I appreciate all the advice fellas
Slowgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2020, 01:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Slowgt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 1
Slowgt is on a distinguished road
Also would the front manifold have to be from an eclipse of the same year if I buy it off a used car? (I’m not trying to pay 800-900 from the dealership lol)
Slowgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2020, 05:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Shizahoffa's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 242
Rep Power: 3
Shizahoffa is on a distinguished road
Junkyards aren’t allowed to sell cats. At least LKQ won’t. They always cut them off or some shit. Ruins the sensors all the time too. What you could try to do is go on offer up or Facebook marketplace and see if anyone is parting an eclipse out that has a cat. Cheap and effective, but for how long no one knows. Yeah you can get one off of any Eclipse 2006 - 2012. I only have the rear left but I’ll keep an eye out if there are any around me in So cal.

Also, apparently the 04-12 galant ralliart and the 04-12 endeavor (both with 3.8 v6 6g75 Mivec engines) have the same front manifold so that can help widen your search for part outs. You might be able to use the front cats off of one of those cars with the non-mivec engine, but I’d rather be safe than sorry and make sure to get one off of another mivec 6G75
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63E49387-F7D1-40EF-A7CF-E9C3B61D64CA_1594202943836.jpg (19.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Shizahoffa; July 8th, 2020 at 05:11 AM.
Shizahoffa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2020, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Slowgt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 1
Slowgt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizahoffa View Post
Junkyards aren’t allowed to sell cats. At least LKQ won’t. They always cut them off or some shit. Ruins the sensors all the time too. What you could try to do is go on offer up or Facebook marketplace and see if anyone is parting an eclipse out that has a cat. Cheap and effective, but for how long no one knows. Yeah you can get one off of any Eclipse 2006 - 2012. I only have the rear left but I’ll keep an eye out if there are any around me in So cal.

Also, apparently the 04-12 galant ralliart and the 04-12 endeavor (both with 3.8 v6 6g75 Mivec engines) have the same front manifold so that can help widen your search for part outs. You might be able to use the front cats off of one of those cars with the non-mivec engine, but I’d rather be safe than sorry and make sure to get one off of another mivec 6G75
Forsure got it, thanks bro I’ll be searching on OfferUp and Facebook
Slowgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Location
Where you live.
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger