Cleaning the engine bay - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Car Care and Detailing (Shine)

Car Care and Detailing (Shine) Discuss various techniques, methods and detailing tips for preserving one of your biggest investments.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2018, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ricer

Name: Zach
Vehicle: 2012 Eclipse GS
Shpeckledorf is on a distinguished road
Cleaning the engine bay

Anyone had any luck cleaning their engine bay? I was looking around on the forum and haven't seen any pictures of peoples engine bays looking super clean. I'm not too proud of what mine looks like... Engine block is rusting and peeling.. Piping and body on the inside is very dirty, you know. I was thinking about getting an engine cover but that is the only thing I can come up with. I'd like to take a hose and spray it down but that would f*ck the whole engine and I'm personally skeptical on doing it myself.
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2018, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Tristen
ROAD RENEGADE is on a distinguished road
Cleaning the engine bay takes time. I dont run a hose to it directly but I take a sprits bottle, shoot off what I'm going to whip down, use soap and sponge and then come back with clean cloth to dry it. On my Ceramic parts the last thing I do is hit it with paper towels and 5 star. If you are talking about dressing up the engine, there is a whole thread dedicated to just that. IMG_7624.jpg
ROAD RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
NamelessFoe will become famous soon enough
I've literally been taking piece by piece off and cleaning and painting parts and engine bay and reinstalling.
NamelessFoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 12th, 2018, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Tristen
ROAD RENEGADE is on a distinguished road
at a boy Chis! Thats how you can do it
ROAD RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 12th, 2018, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

But I have to admit. the engine bay on this car is a magnet for dirt.
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
DR3

Name: Diego
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse SE (GS)
DR3 has a spectacular aura about
Ive done a hose in the engine bay its not going to damage anything as long as you cover up any important electronics like the battery, alternator, ecu and if you still have the stock intake the air dam you will be fine
DR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ricer

Name: Zach
Vehicle: 2012 Eclipse GS
Shpeckledorf is on a distinguished road
All great ideas. I should have searched to see if this was an ongoing thread instead of making my own, my bad. I'll try these suggestions though.
Old September 13th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Just made this last week, super easy out OF ABS plastic, helps cover exposed wires and such
Old September 13th, 2018, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

That definitely cleans up the fuse box area. Is it just me or does Mitsubishi use twice the amount of wiring than other manufacturers?
Old September 13th, 2018, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessFoe View Post
That definitely cleans up the fuse box area. Is it just me or does Mitsubishi use twice the amount of wiring than other manufacturers?
Definitely seems that way lol
Old September 14th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

It just blows my mind how they ran power on the drivers side, than remote ground blocks on the passenger side. Or how they ran the wiring for everything on the passenger side under the front bumper around to the ABS unit. I wonder how much work a wire tuck on our cars would be.
Old July 18th, 2020, 12:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
F.N.G.

Name: Steve
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Steve_06_Ark will become famous soon enough
There's a few videos on Youtube that show how to properly do this (I think the one I like watching is ChrisFix).
To do it right you need to buy a few things. Some good stiff and a few flexible brushes (paint brushes work pretty well but you need at least one good stiff one for the hard to remove debris), lots of microfiber towels, some 303 protectorant spray, and if you really want to make it easier a McCulloch MC1275 steamer (about $130). If you're married, just tell the wife it will help clean and sterilize around the house.
It takes a bunch of time and you're going to be filthy when you're done, but remove the battery and cover all the important not to get wet stuff and go to town. Do a dry cleaning first with the brushes and then just be real careful with a spray bottle of soapy water and and scrub scrub scrub. You can use the steamer and the brushes to get the hard to reach spots and then dry it off with a blower, air compressor, or let it air dry. Use the 303 protectorant on plastic surfaces (NOT BELTS) and hoses.
You can remove the hood blanket and clean it VERY carefully (it's similar to a head liner so if you get it wet, it's going to separate from the glue and ruin it). I just used the brushes and careful application of my air compressor to get it clean. If it's faded, you can spray it with some aerosol black cloth dye.

Here's what I was able to do using this stuff (it's not perfect by any measure)...

I had to use a steel circular brush on my drill to clean up the manifold. That ugly spot on my manifold cover is where I repaired it using JBWeld and never went back and sanded it down.

Good luck all and happy detailing!

Last edited by Steve_06_Ark; July 18th, 2020 at 12:25 AM.
Steve_06_Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bay, block, body, cleaning, cover, engine, engine bay, engine cover, peeling, pictures, spray, super

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in