How To - Sound Dampening Outside Noise - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto)

Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) HowTos, Technical Data and Documentation for the 4G Eclipse

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Ross
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS
Eclipso is on a distinguished road
How To - Sound Dampening Outside Noise

As all of you Eclipse owners know, it picks up a lot of outside road noise when traveling on highways or just normal roads. Well I got a little solution for you with some pictures of what I did to my rear/tail end of my car. I used Noico 80 Mil sound dampening panels (link below). This takes a lot of time but in the end is well worth it. I also recommend doing this to the inside car doors. https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492023147&sr=8-2&keywords=sound+dampening+material"]https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492023147&sr=8-2&keywords=sound+dampening+material
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170203_155002.jpg (74.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20170203_155011.jpg (83.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20170203_155018.jpg (74.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_175900.jpg (98.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_175906.jpg (100.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_175910.jpg (100.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_175915.jpg (98.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_175920.jpg (98.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_175925.jpg (85.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_175936.jpg (98.7 KB, 83 views)
Eclipso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual, 05 GTO
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Very nice. How much quieter is it for you now?
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 22nd, 2017, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Andres
Vehicle: 2009 GT
SuperEvilnine will become famous soon enough
I need to do this to my doors..every time i close the door it sounds like im slamming it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
SuperEvilnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 20th, 2018, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Kevin
Vehicle: 2018 Golf R/2002 Ranger
#TampaEclipse is on a distinguished road
I just grabbed some mat (killmat instead of noico) and plan on doing this to my car, but I was going to ignore the hatch floor. Since you didn't, I'd like to ask:

1. Do you drive a GT/GS? Is the exhaust stock or modified? and
2. How much engine/exhaust noise did this remove?

I want to reduce wind noise and panel vibration but I don't want to dampen it so much that I lose the song of the drivetrain.
#TampaEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2019, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
F.N.G.

Name: Steve
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Steve_06_Ark will become famous soon enough
Tampa, did you ever install your sound dampening? I noticed you never got an answer but I just completed mine and I went crazy with it (the only thing I haven't done is the roof). I used 55mil fatmat and it made a significant difference. With the windows up, I'd say conservatively 50 to 60% of the exhaust noise is gone (the drone of my magnaflow catback) and 75% of the road / wind noise is gone. It sounds every bit as quite as my SLT trim GMC.
You can check out my build log for details, but it did take over 30 hours to complete and I wouldn't try it in less than 75F weather, unless you're willing to spend another 10 hours for heat gunning this stuff to elastic enough for installing.
If you haven't done this, you should man. Totally worth it.
Steve_06_Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2019, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

To reduce wind noise fix the underbody aero. Do a flat undertray and an air dam.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_06_Ark View Post
Tampa, did you ever install your sound dampening? I noticed you never got an answer but I just completed mine and I went crazy with it (the only thing I haven't done is the roof). I used 55mil fatmat and it made a significant difference. With the windows up, I'd say conservatively 50 to 60% of the exhaust noise is gone (the drone of my magnaflow catback) and 75% of the road / wind noise is gone. It sounds every bit as quite as my SLT trim GMC.
You can check out my build log for details, but it did take over 30 hours to complete and I wouldn't try it in less than 75F weather, unless you're willing to spend another 10 hours for heat gunning this stuff to elastic enough for installing.
If you haven't done this, you should man. Totally worth it.
I actually did most of it. I got on it early this year as part of a larger task list that also included hard-wiring my dashcam and radar detector and installing a rear-view camera. I didn't go quite as aggressively as you did in covering the entire floor; I covered about 70% of my surfaces in the bowl and didn't do anything on the ceiling or beyond the front seats.

It did help somewhat but it wasn't a cureall; noise behind the driver seat was lessened, but it didn't help on the doors. They still clatter really loudly even with the mat. There might be something inside the panel, or it could be the panels being broken (the tabs, like I'm sure everyone else had) but I'm not sure. I just bought a house as well. I hope to get back into it this winter but I've got to work around my budget and prioritize my tasks. The car is noisy but it runs great and everything works so working on it isn't really near the top of my priority list.

I would say that if you want to quiet your car and you're looking at doing this, it'll help, but you should trace down the sources of your buzzes, creaks and rattles and fix them independently before you lay down mat, otherwise those buzzes, creaks and rattles just sound louder against the lower ambient noise thank to the mat.
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
To reduce wind noise fix the underbody aero. Do a flat undertray and an air dam.
I'm not interested in the airdam, but I would definitely like an undertray, especially if it provides additional protection from road debris. I can't drive through a puddle in this car without it splashing on the belt assembly and squeaking like a tortured mouse. Who carries them?
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Nobody unfortunately. Find a plastics supplier nearby and get either ABS or alumalite, and you can make your own

The added bonus is fuel economy and downforce

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old November 15th, 2019, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Nobody unfortunately. Find a plastics supplier nearby and get either ABS or alumalite, and you can make your own

The added bonus is fuel economy and downforce
Make your own as in DIY or as in custom fabrication? Are there examples elsewhere on the forum of others tackling this job?

If I can turn this conversation back to the topic, we're all talking about things you can add to your car to control NVH, but none of us have mentioned tires yet. Tires have a huge impact on road noise; hard tires make lots of noise, and softer tires make less. You get hard tires two ways: all-season tires built for durability (like 50,60k + tread warranty) will start noisy and get noisier with use, and softer-compound tires (summer tires and high-perf AS) get louder as they age regardless of how much they're used (durable all-seasons will also get louder as they age, but the change isn't as noticeable; tires as they age dry out, and softer-compound tires lose more moisture than harder ones).

If you're serious about quieting down the car, take a good look at your tires before you spend a weekend installing dynamat, you'd be surprised at how much quieter your car is on a nice fresh set of meats. I'm probably due for a set myself, they're coming up on 4 years old and I got about 30k miles on them. I began noticing earlier this summer that they weren't up to the wet stuff like they used to be and are behaving much more like the OE Eagle RS-As the car had for the better part of a decade. I also remember how much quieter these tires were than the old ones when I first slapped them on.

Last edited by #TampaEclipse; November 15th, 2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old November 15th, 2019, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Basically Stock

THIS forum, no.

Miata forums, tons.

As for tires, I definitely agree. Especially with hard economy tires with a "performance" or "blocky" tread; they make a lot of noise. Softer takes away some of that noise, but tread shape is still huge.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old January 7th, 2020, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
wanna-be subaru killer.

Name: Evan Schantini
Vehicle: '06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Ruby.Eclipse is on a distinguished road
how much of this matt do you need to cover the majority of the car?
Ruby.Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2020, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby.Eclipse View Post
how much of this matt do you need to cover the majority of the car?
So here's what I ended up buying to do the job:

https://www.amazon.com/Kilmat-Deaden...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The description says it contains 34 sheets, but I did not count them. I also did not use all of them; I think I have about six or seven sheets left, and did not do one of the doors because it had a prerequisite job ahead of it I never got to last year, which would take probably three sheets the way I did the other door.

If you want to do what I did, which is about 75% coverage on the lower bowl from the seats back and the doors, one box should be enough. If you want full coverage of the lower bowl you'll probably need two. I would think two might also be enough to do all interior panels, including the roof and hatch under the trim.

I do not recommend using this on the cargo cover divider, it doesn't really seem to do anything helpful there and it's a bunch of work; if I were to do that again I'd use spray foam insulation and looks be damned.

Tags
amazon, automotive, car, doors, eclipse, how to, noise, owners, pictures, rear, road, sound, tail, worth it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in