I have a question Sportronic to 6sp MT swap - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Driveline

Driveline Discussions about anything from the transmission to the axle nuts go here.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2020, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Scott
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT SE
blkwings is on a distinguished road
Sportronic to 6sp MT swap

In the exploratory phase of auto to manual swap and have a few questions.

The shop that's been doing my suspension has done this swap before (4G MT swapped to Galant) and is onboard to help with the install.

I've following salvage titles on erepairables.com and someday will find a donor car in my area. I'd deliver that to the shop to remove and replace/upgrade the flywheel and clutch, then install into mine.

From what In found here, seems like the OEM flywheel is best? I track this car, but also a DD so I don't need a super aggressive clutch, but any recommendations welcomed.

Should I do the Quaife LSD? Any long reviews or watch outs with that?

I currently have a Stayer reflash. Would he be able to reflash the current ECU or would I need that from the donor car as well? Then reflash the again.

Rough ballpark so far is about < $4k for all parts and labor.

Thoughts or recommendations?
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2020, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Shizahoffa is on a distinguished road
So I personally did this swap myself. It possible and didn’t cost anything. I gained money actually because I had a donor car so go figure. If you do not have a full donor car which you can sell parts, then I wouldn’t recommend it.

Nevertheless, You need linkage cables because they are different, you need the ecu and the key and also the immobilizer or else the car will turn over but will never start, harness, trans, starters are the same, One of the axels is the same and I honestly forget which One is different so look up part numbers on autozone. You will need the clutch and brake pedal and the clutch sensor. Also we had to look at the wiring diagram to see which wire was for the clutch sensor. When you find that special wire, you have to reprint it from the donor fuse box and then press it into the corresponding box so your car can read the sensor. I’m butchering the explanation but that’s the only way we got mine to turn on. After that, the front and rear mounts on the trans are different I believe with the subframe remaining the same. You might also need to prong another wire for the speed sensors for they are different in the auto and stick (still testing that myself). The of course the center console is different and shifter.

Get a stage 3 full face clutch and you’ll be satisfied because it won’t make too much noise but still give some good punch. Unless you want to go a 6 or 4 pick and have a fun time getting into and out of 1st in traffic. I have a stage 4 clutch in mine and a lightweight fidanza flywheel and man the different is night and day. Smooth quick but first gear is always annoying especially in traffic (fuck LA haha).

The LSD is great but you will need a new worm gear for its plastic and taking it off is a nightmare and it’s best to have a new one pressed into the LSD. But then you need to pay someone to take apart the trans, install the LSD properly and reassemble which could come out to 500-1000 in and of itself in just labor.

If 4K is your budget, then that’s a good used eclipse 6 speed right there because the swap and labor might get a little pricey since there’s a lot more at play then just change the transmission and call it a day.

But yeah the auto ecu can’t manage the 6 speed one. Stayer may tune that one but I’m not 100 percent. See if he can program that ecu, to the vin if your car and program your current key so it all works and you retain the immobilizer. This is what Michael did for me. Even though my ecu is for a 6 speed GT, it still scans and registers as the vin for my 4 cyl automatic.

I think I covered most of what needs to be said. In the end you do you! If you can get all the parts cheap and make it work then do it. If not maybe sell this one and buy a stick and call it a day. I didn’t want to do thst because I have a custom paint job and a body kit which is why I got donor card sold as part outs and did the swap. Took a little longer than normal but I ended up making about 4 grand my first part out and 3500 my second one. I still have two auto v6 transmissions and a whole other engine as well so having the spare parts from these donor cars is also very handy.

Any more questions feel free to ask here or pm me and I can try and help you out
Shizahoffa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 25th, 2020, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 will become famous soon enough
Could you explain the detail of the clutch lockout switch again? Thanks
And you say the wiring harnesses are all the same between the 4cyl auto and 4cyl manual? You just plug the manual ECU in?
Then change the trans mounts, put manual trans in with new manual trans axle(s), and change out the speed sensor wiring (explain this?)? Thanks I’m very curious about this

Also, I know the ECU’s are different between the manuals and auto, but why can’t u just run a manual trans on the auto anyway?

Subaru made their ECU’s and wiring harnesses 100% the same between auto and manual for the early WRX’s and all Imprezas I know the ECU’s have duplicate maps of every map file in them, one for AT, and one for MT, and the way the transmission plugs into the wiring harness grounds out a pin for the manual trans that tells it to go into manual trans mode otherwise it’ll go into auto trans mode; then you just had to figure out the clutch switch which would be wired to the automatic transmission gear shifter Park switch

I also noticed that u did a 4cyl auto swap to a GT 6spd swap? The manual trans for the 4cyl is the 5spd? The GT one is probably stronger

How did you put the clutch pedal through the firewall?

Last edited by pcfreak4; January 25th, 2020 at 08:04 AM.
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 25th, 2020, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much Shiza, that's what I needed to know! Of course the logical thing to do to would be to sell and replace w/ a manual, but too many mods and memories. I've had this car since new in 06, and has been meticulously cared for. Might be a while before I find a donor car, so will give me time to save up. There's very few 4G's in the PNW, so finding a low miles, hail damaged 6sp will take a minute. Your info helps prepping and will end up saving time and money, thank you.

Sounds like the LSD is worth it, so will tackle everything at once. I'll reach out to Stayer too. Will let you know what other questions arise as I go forth. What part of LA you in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1219.jpg (68.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1166.jpg (50.7 KB, 4 views)
Old January 25th, 2020, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwings View Post
Thanks so much Shiza, that's what I needed to know! Of course the logical thing to do to would be to sell and replace w/ a manual, but too many mods and memories. I've had this car since new in 06, and has been meticulously cared for. Might be a while before I find a donor car, so will give me time to save up. There's very few 4G's in the PNW, so finding a low miles, hail damaged 6sp will take a minute. Your info helps prepping and will end up saving time and money, thank you.

Sounds like the LSD is worth it, so will tackle everything at once. I'll reach out to Stayer too. Will let you know what other questions arise as I go forth. What part of LA you in?
If u bought it new and wanted a manual, why didn’t u buy a manual?
Old January 25th, 2020, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfreak4 View Post
If u bought it new and wanted a manual, why didnít u buy a manual?
At the time I traded in a 2G (97 RS 5sp), and actually test drove the 6sp GT. The difference was night and day, the 4G manual was like butter compared, I loved it. But I had a gnarly commute of 1.5-2 hours each way to work (from OC to LA) and thought the shiftable automatic was the smarter choice, since it got better MPGs and I wanted the SE.

About 6 months after, we ended up moving to LA so I've regretted my choice ever since. The Sportronic has been great, no doubt, and performs perfectly at the track. I miss driving a manual and am pretty much done w/ all other performance and suspensions mods, so this would be the last major project to get my car perfect for me without spending $25k on thrashed Evo. I'm fully aware a trans swap is the worst way to spend time and money

tl;dr: I didn't really think it through or thought I would ever track my car.
Old January 26th, 2020, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

So the plugs you plug into like the injectors, or sensors or whatever has a couple of wires coming out of it. Well there is one coming from the fuse box that has about 8 different holes in it. You have to find the correct one through the wiring diagram and put a prong in it, with a wire, ground the wire and connect it to the clutch sensor. In my case I just tucked the wire away and taped it to avoid contact and it worked perfect. I’ll see if I can get pictures of it soon for you.

Yes I did the 4 cyl auto to v6 auto with a donor car, then I did a v6 auto to v6 manual with a different donor car. Made money off the parts in both occasions, learned a fuck ton, and got to paint my engine.

No the wiring harness are slightly different. The ECUs are also different and not double programmed. A v6 5 speed auto cant manage a 6 speed and visa versa. So you need the proper harness and ecu.

If you look at the car below the brake booster there is a little dimpled circle there but it’s not cut and two holes besides it. That’s where the clutch pedal feeds through. Also you NEED the brake booster off a manual one, I forgot to mention that.

I’m located a little more inland like 30 miles from LA. More towards Pomona area but I’m right off of the 210. Work on my car and my friends and my civic as well all the time and I’ve accumulated a decent sized amount of people who drive these cars which is cool. Canyons runs and meets and such.

I have stage 4 cams, ported and polished racing heads, supercharger set up and so much more that I’m going to be putting on soon to complete my build
Old January 26th, 2020, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok cool thanks for the info!
Old January 26th, 2020, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, great information thank you! Can't wait to see your build once complete too, looks amazing!
Old January 26th, 2020, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you guys! Yeah I’m in the process of getting my block built. Jones and sleeved with a lower compression with bigger pistons and piston rings. They’re going to rebuild and prep the block so I can paint it whatever color I would like so I’m undecided as of now. I’m trying to push big numbers out of this car but also make it still able to be daily driven hoping for 500 plus which doesn’t seem all that far out due to all of the supporting mods I have for the set up

Also, RIP Kobe🙏

Tags
auto, board, car, clutch, ecu, flywheel, galant, install, long, lsd, manual, oem, parts, questions, reflash, remove, replace, shop, sportronic, stayer, super, suspension, swap, track, upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in