Thoughts on electric rear wheel assist - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Eclipse Performance

Eclipse Performance Eclipse Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2020, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

torontoGT is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on electric rear wheel assist

Hi everyone,

I've creeped these forums for a couple of years since getting my Eclipse for ideas on what's working for others and what I should avoid.

About a year ago I saw both the AWD Eclipse that's been created and a video on a Civic Type-R with in-hub electric motors on the rear wheels to help it take off faster and improve fuel efficiency when not throwing down that electric torque.

I'm not an expert in any of this, so I could be totally wrong.

In theory, could we use the rear axle of an Endevour (trying to make things as bolt on as possible), attached to an electric motor designed for an EV (able to take the conditions and RPMs) to get a quasi AWD?

Benefits I see;
- The front wheels would spin less if the rears are helping move us forward.
- If either system screws up, the other can get us home (granted with error lights).
- As the Civic proved we can tap into CANBUS for acceleration and braking commands.
- The Civic also showed the engine ECU doesn't have to know anything for this to work.
- The batteries could help move weight distribution depending on how much capacity.
- In theory with the weight reduction mentioned on these forums, we'd be about the same weight with better traction and acceleration.

Things I don't know;
- Is the fuel tank replacement to allow for the drive shaft? Can we do this without having to change fuel tanks? (Simplicity.)
- How intense the programming will be for the electric motor management.
- Could we grab most of the electrical setup from a i-MiEV? (I'm trying to find a system that balances weight, cost and performance. Tesla's battery is 1,200 lbs by itself.)

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Can we improve it, is it viable, etc.

Links;
batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/electric_vehicle_ev
youtube.com video iQ4lTPVR3qc
torontoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2020, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

It could be done, I'd tap into the raw data, not CANBUS as I'm not sure it's a BUS line we use for throttle input.

Battery wise, a Tesla battery isn't even best in a Tesla. The Chevy Volt battery is a common swap for them

Yes, other fuel tanks exist, such as AWD endeavor and Evo tanks, but also fuel cells.

Integrating into a rear dif sounds far worse than in hub. You may as well just connect to the engine, you'll see more performance (electric motors run out of steam pretty quickly, they're just high torque at low RPM. It's why they're so terrible in roll races vs vehicles with transmissions).

Overall, seems like a very very expensive mod that will add very little performance per dollar. You can gain more with turbo and a regular AWD swap, and not add hundreds of pounds.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
acceleration, axle, battery, cost, ding, drive, eclipse, ecu, electrical, engine, faster, front, fuel, lights, move, performance, rear, reduction, replacement, setup, system, video, weight, wheel, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in