Installed the DC Sports CAI! - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Eclipse Performance

Eclipse Performance Eclipse Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2020, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: AJ
Vehicle: 09 Spyder GS
BlankWave is on a distinguished road
Installed the DC Sports CAI!

I'm drenched in confidence today, although that might be baked on sweat because it was 90 degrees outside. I just performed my first modification on my darling Eclipse and fitted her with a cold air intake!

This is probably pretty commonplace around these parts, but for me this is only my second time turning a wrench. The first time was changing my spark plugs earlier this week, so I was pretty nervous about removing my intake system; especially because I have to do my car work in the public pool parking lot across the street since I don't have a garage and I'm not allowed to do car work in my apartment complex. Any mistake or lack of preparation means leaving my car in a weird parking lot.

I'm very pleased to say that I did the damn thing.

I was dreading the resonator because everyone said it was a PITA, but I ended up following Sabertooth's advice and going in under the splashguard below the foglight assembly. Had to stick my ham fists up in there with a tiny ratchet, but it was really no issue. Working on the splashguard also helped me identify a rattling issue, which is being caused by a missing bolt down there that I can now fix.

Unfortunately, it didn't all go smoothly. The screws on my MAF sensor stripped immediately and were rusted so bad that even locking pliers couldn't budge them. I hope I don't need my stock intake ever again, because I ended up using a razor to saw the MAF sensor off of the air box. Even then, still fused to tiny chunks of mauled air box plastic, the screws would not move. I tried again with the locking pliers on them and WD-40, but BOTH mounts snapped.

Miraculously, I was able to mount the MAF sensor anyway with the little C-shaped nubs of mount that are still on it. No code, so I assume no leak, and it seems to be mounted firmly. I may wrap it in electrical tape and plan a visit to a junkyard to replace it, unless someone has a better idea for mounting it.

Also, whatever those wire hose clamps are they use to clamp the intake to the manifold resonator and throttle body; they suck big time. The one on the resonator twisted itself into oblivion and is still on the resonator (which I left off, because fuck it). Thank God the throttle body one eventually came loose with some creative torquing.

Anyway, the CAI is on there and I'm proud of myself. I went from never having done an oil change to doing (what I consider to be) a big boy job on a car. I followed the instructions for resetting the ECU, excepting the final instruction not to open up the throttle. Sorry bout it, but the first time I opened it up a little and heard the intake gulping air, I had to hear the rest of the song. It already sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear it adjust over the next few days.

Butt Dyno Report:
1. Definitely seems to be smoother accelerating. Everything feels smooth like butter from 0-60.
2. I was really feeling the engine work before to get up to 80mph+ at highway speed, but I looked down and was surprised to see I had gone up to 85mph without noticing. This might be a side effect of the ECU reset, considering the age of my car. It doesn't feel like a supercar or anything, but it feels tangibly faster which is more than I was expecting. I wonder what the RRE under pulley will feel like?
3. Sound is already noticeable and awesome. It sounds so good that it convinced me I need a catback to go with it. I think I may have opened a box I can't close.
4. Got a "hmm, okay yeah" look from a guy in a 370Z when I was accelerating from a stoplight; so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I know this is an essay, so I'll call it here. I just want to say thanks for all the awesome resources here. I never would have had the confidence to do this upgrade without the many, many accounts, reviews and advice littered across this site. You guys rock.

Next up is replacing my valve cover gasket and plug o-rings (and maybe deleting that resonator behind it while the getting is good). I've got a slight leak in two of my plug wells. Wish me luck!

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS
Proud Member of the RAVE RED Gang.
Modifications: DC Sports CAI, Cool Sunglasses
BlankWave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2020, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Smokey
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
Smokeynbandit is on a distinguished road
Love ours aswell, good mod get a second filter at some point so you can wash one and run one at once just a tip
Smokeynbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2020, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rowen244 is on a distinguished road
Good stuff. I love my DC Sports CAI.... Funny story though... I went for my inspection and I heard the people at Jiffy Lube asking each other "Where's the intake filter?"...."Just put yes..."
Rowen244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 29th, 2020, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen244 View Post
Good stuff. I love my DC Sports CAI.... Funny story though... I went for my inspection and I heard the people at Jiffy Lube asking each other "Where's the intake filter?"...."Just put yes..."
Lol I thought of this too
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Red face

Quote:
I've wanted to take my car to a place like that just to see what happens, lol. But I also don't want to let them touch it. Or pay $90 for an oil change

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2020, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth^2 View Post
Quote:
I've wanted to take my car to a place like that just to see what happens, lol. But I also don't want to let them touch it. Or pay $90 for an oil change
Lol exactly
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: AJ
Vehicle: 09 Spyder GS
BlankWave is on a distinguished road
After a few days the sound it makes is sort of leveling out and not quite as sharp unless I smash the throttle open. Still really like it.

I have two weird side effects after the CAI install though.

1. An intermittent rattle, sort of like two screws shaken lightly in a glass jar, that happens infrequently but it wasn't there before (or it was there and my music was too loud, since the CAI install I have been driving more with the music off to listen to the sounds it makes). Yesterday it happened as soon as I popped the car into reverse, but I couldn't replicate it after putting it into park and trying again. I'm going to check today to make sure the CAI isn't rubbing on anything that could cause the sound. I hear this could also be a catalytic converter rattling, maybe there's a chunk of something bouncing in there. It isn't too loud but I never heard it before the CAI install.

2. The horn beep for my car alarm arming itself is notably higher pitched haha. It isn't bothering me but I have no clue how that could relate to a CAI install. I'm inexperienced with this stuff; did the horn interact with the stock resonator I removed somehow? Maybe it was muffled by all the plastic I pulled out and this is just what it naturally sounds like. So weird.

2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS
Proud Member of the RAVE RED Gang.
Modifications: DC Sports CAI, Cool Sunglasses
BlankWave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
140whp+15.72%= 162hp

Name: Richard.
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS 2.4
Sparda D'Mon is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your first mod! I was just as excited when i first installed my DC Sports CAI. Get a Injen Hydroshield on Amazon for like 20$ extra protection. Also the RRE UDP is a good mod for NA. But as stated before it causes vibration at high rpm but it seems safe at and under 7,000rpm.
Favor, bro. Next time you drive, roll your window down and floor it. Do you hear a weird whistle like noise coming from the driver side of your engine bay? Only driver side.
Sparda D'Mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 1st, 2020, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Grab the intake and shake it, see if the mount is loose. Also, remember that with old worn motor mounts, the engine moves a couple inches under load, so that can put the intake to where it may hit things very easily.

As for the horn, there are 2 horns. One may have been bumped and unplugged, even just partially. One is high tone, one low. You can test both by having someone honk it with your hand in front of the bell opening on each you'll feel it when it honks

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
0-60, amazing, body, box, cai, car, catback, cold air intake, eclipse, ecu, faster, fix, gasket, good, intake, mounts, move, oil, parts, plugs, resonator, rre, spark, stock, street

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in