I have a question how many of you are running spacers? - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Interior and Exterior Modifications (Show)

Interior and Exterior Modifications (Show) Body Kits, Lighting, Paint, Interior or other visual modification discussion here.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Be afraid...very afraid!!

Name: chuck
Vehicle: 06 GT M/T
chuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to all
how many of you are running spacers?

(wheel spacers) And if so what size? and if you have it post a pic please!!!!
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007/eclipse/SE
XxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond repute
just get wider wheels :]
azn/cracka goon #1 holla!
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m...14/image-1.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspower View Post
i see kchu's swag has rubbed off on you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by deprydation View Post
You _REALLY_ don't wanna start that war...

Trust me.

I would retract this statement and go f**k yourself before kchu comes and makes you look and feel like the biggest moron to ever walk this earth.
XxkevinchuxX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

chuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to allchuck is a name known to all
I alreadt ordered some 25mm for all 4 wheels but just curious how many people have them already and what sizes they went with...not tryin to get rid of the rims i have they will be ok come this weekend....lol

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Matt
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Matti1015 will become famous soon enough
Can't wait to see before and after pics chuck. If I get coilovers come tax time I'll prob look into getting spacers aswell. GL!
Matti1015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will def post pics of before and after in my ride thread....
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

XxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond reputeXxkevinchuxX has a reputation beyond repute
it affects your offset, id say try to keep the offset in the 20's for our cars....you should be ok with a 25mm
Quote:
Quote:

Trust me.

I would retract this statement and go f**k yourself before kchu comes and makes you look and feel like the biggest moron to ever walk this earth.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanx kev...ever ran spacers yourself?
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

for a few weeks.....just make sure to tighten the lugs every couple hundred miles
Quote:
Quote:

Trust me.

Old January 7th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Alexis
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GT
Alexisthechamp will become famous soon enough
Agree^ I stress this to customers that ask me questions about wheel spacers. Personally I don't feel that there to safe. Interested to see pix though
Alexisthechamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
The "Touring" Eclipse

Vehicle: 08 Eclipse SE
HOMESLICE is a jewel in the roughHOMESLICE is a jewel in the rough
I'm running 20 f 25 r spacers, and I have had to tighten my front passenger wheel once but it hasn't happened again since. but i do try to keep a feel for any play on the highway
Modifications: Injen 3" SES Exhaust, Injen CAI, Tanabe Upper/Lower Strut Bars, TWM STS & Shift Knob, Ingalls Torque Damper, Outlaw IM/TB Spacers/TB Bypass, Eibach springs and Sway Bars front and rear, Ichiba Wheel Spacers, Ralliart Eyelids, Tint
6 and above is true love, 5 and below they'll never know
HOMESLICE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Andrew
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS
ashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to all
For the V2 spacers, What about using a threadlock like Monkey Spit (200 or 300) or LocTite on the hub-to-spacer threads? Getting ready to add a pair to the rears.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
The "Touring" Eclipse

Vehicle: 08 Eclipse SE
HOMESLICE is a jewel in the roughHOMESLICE is a jewel in the rough
^do what you feel comfortable with, but honestly you will be fine without. my wheel was spinning at 80 mph for 20 miles and it was just 2 lugs that needed to be tightened. the other 3 were fine and again only on one wheel. i checked the rest just to make sure but they were all tightened down. It was honestly probably my fault for not torquing them enough
Modifications: Injen 3" SES Exhaust, Injen CAI, Tanabe Upper/Lower Strut Bars, TWM STS & Shift Knob, Ingalls Torque Damper, Outlaw IM/TB Spacers/TB Bypass, Eibach springs and Sway Bars front and rear, Ichiba Wheel Spacers, Ralliart Eyelids, Tint
6 and above is true love, 5 and below they'll never know
HOMESLICE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

ashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to allashort is a name known to all
Per the manual at Tearstone: 73 7 ft-lb
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

95 ft-lb on wheel to hub is what is recommended on the cars specs. I would just replicate on wheel spacer just to b extra safe. 95 to 115 is what I usually torque my wheels at
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

I thought 73 ft-lbs looked low, but where does it say 95 ft-lbs for our cars? I'm pulling 73 ft-lbs out of the "Group 31 - Wheel & Tire" guide.

I am going to torque the spacer down as though it were a wheel, but using some threadlock.

Then torque the wheel down on the spacer, w/o threadlock.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006/GT
MitsuFootDr will become famous soon enough
I don't think it says 95 ft/lbs anywhere, but I've been using that same torque setting for my lugs on all my cars for years and it's never failed me.
MitsuFootDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

At Discount tire wheel torque spec guide. Not even the smallest cars take 73. The minimun is 80 ft lbs. Each vehicle has a specific torque spec. If I did 95 on a f150 he would be screwed. So hopefully you are talking about eclipse. If it hasnt failed then ur lucky if you have used that spec on all cars
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm referring to the 4G Eclipse Factory service manual, here: http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/2006...0003000-31.pdf. Why any garage would apply a number other than this to a car, escapes me. According to this, 81+ ft-lbs = over-torque = neligence.

(stay with me...there is a lot of room for discrepancy here...there's what is published...there's what we know will work...there's typos...yada yada yada)

I've said I thought 73 ft-lbs was light. For my Sebring it's 100 ft-lbs, but numbers go where numbers go for a reason. I have to wonder why Mitsubishi put such a seemingly low number in for wheel nut torque.

I've had my wheels off before, on many cars, but never used anything other than "elbow torque", as in, "Yep, damn that's tight enough!". I've also never had spacers on before, and I'm about to do so, so I'm getting a little picky about it.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

You can follow the service manual but its no wheel expert when it comes to torque. It says 73 etc but also a Honda civic requires 80 ft lbs. clearly something is not right lol. But hey il keep 95 ft lbs on my torque spec and the lugs come right off just like other customers 4gs. I guess someone should test out the 73/80 ft lbs and see how it goes. I sure wont
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hey, I'm nervous about it too!
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Sidney
Vehicle: 2007 GS Sun & Sound
sidneyaks is on a distinguished road
According to the chart I have at work, it's 80, as are most import cars. Almost all domestic cars (with the exception of rebadged imports like the pontiac vibe and chevy aveo) are 100. Volkswagons and other german cars with the bolt style lugs are between 67 and 110. Trucks vary from 100 (like the mazda b series, or nissan trucks) to 160 for domestic duelies.

Just a thought, but since most people put on their spares by hand with a four-way, they probably over torque it. I don't think 95 will do to much damage to an 80.
sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

hey torque monkeys...wheres some pics of before and afters, lmao
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Just put 20mm spacers on the rears. Torqued all 10 lugs on each side to 75 ft-lbs and I was again surprised at how light that really is. Gonna monitor closely, remove the wheels again tomorrow night and see how I'm doing.

BTW, 20mm spacers on the rear, I stood back, had a look, and had what I like to call, a "Chip Foose" moment, and said, "Why do I have to spend money to get here, why doesn't it look that way stock?" 20mm on the rears are perfectly flush with the fender.
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Emilio
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse GS
Milk Man will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
BTW, 20mm spacers on the rear, I stood back, had a look, and had what I like to call, a "Chip Foose" moment, and said, "Why do I have to spend money to get here, why doesn't it look that way stock?" 20mm on the rears are perfectly flush with the fender.
Did you have to trim the studs at all or did the spacer clear them?
Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
Did you have to trim the studs at all or did the spacer clear them?
These are the "v2" type spacers (although not Ichiba brand).

After mounting the spacers on the rear hubs, I considered that, but...the stock 17" wheels have recesses in them that seem to be there for those spacers. I THINK the ends of the studs are sitting inside those recesses in the wheels.
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Name: Emilio
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse GS
Milk Man will become famous soon enough
Hmm alright..thanks for the reply
Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

here they are installed ....
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

and from the back
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

and gave it a waxing
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #30 (permalink)

20mm Spacers Install, GS Stock rear wheels, Before and After

Passenger and Driver side rear - Before

Driver side after

Driver side before and after - Spacer only added to the rear

Before - According to my ghetto measurement, I need about 22mm to get "flush". The level bar is sitting on the fender, and I measured the distance from the tire to the bar. I'm not lowered yet, so I need the bar to get close to accurate on this.

Couple of shots of the passenger side spacer installed. Torqued these 19mm nuts to 75 ft-lbs. Also torqued the lug nuts to 75 ft-lbs.

After - Sitting the bar across the tire, which is mounted on the car, the bar now shows some space between the bar and the fender. Either the spacer is larger than 20mm (doubt it), or my ghetto measurement above needs help (most likely). This shows I'm now a few mm's outside of flush, and I am happy! (arm and a leg of an awfully cute little helper in this pic, too)

A lot of work yet to do, but overall, a good step forward with the 4G. This exercise has shown me the importance of learning offsets when shopping for new wheels.

(the car is a dd and is unforgivably dirty right now)

Last edited by ashort; January 13th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

I need to add that I think my pictures SUCK at showing the real difference here. The car looks so much more aggressive with the 20mm spacers pushing the rears out to flush with the top of the fender. And that's on stock rims and (other than the spacers) no "stance".
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #32 (permalink)

Someone asked me in a PM about needing to chop off the studs to accomodate the wheel. Anyone who's done spacers before knows this isn't required, but I thought I'd throw out this picture of the backside of a stock 17" wheel. You can see the trapezoidal spaces in between the stud holes. This is where the original wheel studs sink into, and why you don't have to cut anything to use a spacer.

Tags
spacers, wheel, wheel spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in