HOW TO: Cure Gas Cap Cancer - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Maintenance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
HOW TO: Cure Gas Cap Cancer

This is what iam talking about, the evil horriable cancer

You will need
Fine Sandpaper. I used 400grit but a but rougher wouldnt hurt
10mm Socket and with a rachet and extender bar
#4 Metric alan key
Clear Coat
Latex gloves
Alcohol wipes

First use the 10mm socket remove the 3 bolts inside the gas cap and remove the entire assembly.(The alloy part ahe the black plastic part behind it.)

Next use the alan key to remove the 6 bolts aroung the diameter of the gas cap. Set those little guys aside. Be careful not to lose the nuts off the back side.

You should be left with this.

Now take your sandpaper and sand with the grain on the gascap until the cancer is all gone. You will notice a white powdery substance come off as you sand this is a mix of wax and factory sealent coming off. its ok.

Now you should be left with somthing like this.

Now put on the gloves and wipe it down with the alcahol wipes to remove any dust dirt or oil that may be left on the gascap. Keep in mind that this is now raw metal and will ruse if any oil or water are left when you paint it so do a damn good job getting it clean.

Now while you have a clean dry and cancer free surface apply clearcoat till your satisifyed its sealed and totally coated. I did 4 coats.

Then you should be left with somthing that looks like this.

NOTE!! As you can see i wasnt able to get all the cancer out but it looks 1000% better this is where a slightly grittyer(if thats a word) sandpaper would have come in hand but over all im pleased.

Mods please move to tutorial section

"Rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"
2nd Ammendment supporter
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
This is MY time

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT-SE
ReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud of
What "exactly" is the gas cap cancer?
Where did the spots come from?

Fujita CAI, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust,
18x9.75 Chromium Black XXR 530s w/ Potenzas,
Eibach Pro Kit Springs, 20% tint, Vision-style Eyelids,
Custom-Painted front bumper, 6000K HIDs...
ReggaeRampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
no idea but myself, EclipseFL07 and Witeout all have it. And it looks like shit, but its all better now

"Rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"
2nd Ammendment supporter
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
This is MY time

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT-SE
ReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud ofReggaeRampage has much to be proud of
Well, I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks for the warning.
+Rep!

Fujita CAI, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust,
18x9.75 Chromium Black XXR 530s w/ Potenzas,
Eibach Pro Kit Springs, 20% tint, Vision-style Eyelids,
Custom-Painted front bumper, 6000K HIDs...
ReggaeRampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

Asteroids Revenge Champion!Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
I love you man!! I am getting the same shit on mine. Not as bad as yours but still bad.

I will do this ASAP!!

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
The "Touring" Eclipse

Vehicle: 08 Eclipse SE
HOMESLICE is a jewel in the roughHOMESLICE is a jewel in the rough
gas cap needed a little TLC

Modifications: Injen 3" SES Exhaust, Injen CAI, Tanabe Upper/Lower Strut Bars, TWM STS & Shift Knob, Ingalls Torque Damper, Outlaw IM/TB Spacers/TB Bypass, Eibach springs and Sway Bars front and rear, Ichiba Wheel Spacers, Ralliart Eyelids, Tint
6 and above is true love, 5 and below they'll never know
HOMESLICE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Steve
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
06Scorpion is on a distinguished road
Just came across this thread.
When I first got my Eclipse I had almost the same problem with my gas door. However my door had a few sections, mostly on the outer ring area, that were even worse than just the cancer spots. It had large black sections.
Here are a few pics of how mine turned out.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006 Eclipse fuel door painted-2.jpg (30.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg 2006 Eclipse fuel door painted-3.jpg (21.5 KB, 154 views)
06Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
Is the gas cap aluminum? I was going to use slr to clean it but it says no aluminum
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
See ya losers delete acct

Name: Azzhole to be kissed by all of you
Vehicle: Delete this account
mcssls has a spectacular aura about
If I ever pick one up I will probably do like I did for the fork legs on the bike. 400 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit then 3000 grit, then aluminum polish to make it near chrome and then just polish to keep it clear or, sand it smooth prime and paint match.
mcssls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Thomas
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/GT
TwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud ofTwilsonD7 has much to be proud of
I use a degreaser to clean, wire brush on a drill then finer wire brush to finish and clear coat.
TwilsonD7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Flyntus is on a distinguished road
Looks GREAT!!!
Flyntus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Adam
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
Palladium is on a distinguished road
These are all great methods of curing the "cancer." I'm assuming the discoloration is simply oxidation in areas where the factory clear coat was a) applied inconsistently, b)scratched through or c) removed over time by car washes. Even though Al is supposed to be resistant to oxidation, it still just that: resistant. Certainly, environmental factors contribute to speeding up the process. A car in a hot, humid area (like FL or NJ in the summer) is more likely to develop the condition than one in a hot, dry area (like in AZ or NV). I just posted in the detailing section about how I cleaned my wife's with a simple Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It turned out 99% better with hardly ANY work. Just be careful around the painted body work surround the door, as the eraser will dull the clear coat finish.
Palladium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Tony
Threering is on a distinguished road
This happens on the plastic gas cap covers as well. I wish I could find out what causes it because it looks like shit.
Threering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Matt
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
Mr. GT is on a distinguished road
Results

I stumbled across this thread while aimlessly browsing the forum and thought why not give it a shot. It isn't perfect, but I am very happy with the way it turned out in the end. It definitely beats spending about $150 on Amazon for a whole new one like I was originally going to. Thanks for sharing and I would highly recommend this to anyone with the same problem. It makes the whole car look 1000 times better overall!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collage Creator_5.jpg (33.8 KB, 56 views)
Mr. GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Powder/Ceramic Coater

Name: Lawrence
Vehicle: 2006/Altima /SER
4DRZ is on a distinguished road
My siste's Eclipse started to suffer this so when she asked me what could be done, I told her I could fix it nearly forever! Lol, I cleaned media blasted the cancer away and powder coated it for her. (The gunmetal cap is hers, the chrome is one I did for another friend)

4DRZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: John
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
Clovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to beholdClovisman is a splendid one to behold
I like the gun metal look!!!

The 2006-2012 Eclipse Factory Service Manual Link:
http://tearstone.com/2006-eclipse-fa...ervice-manual/

Clovisman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 29th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Name: Rich
Vehicle: 2012 Mitz Eclipse GT
wingclip is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great ideas! I had the dealer replace that door only 5 months ago and it started corroding again. I bought this car brand new with 12 miles on it. It’s only got 5000 miles on it now and I was not going to let that door go again.

I read a number of posts on this site and got ideas of what I wanted to do. A few days ago, I reinstalled the door and this is the results. The picture here shows my car’s original color, (Silver), which wasn’t my first choice at all but when the dealer called with a ridiculously low counter offer just so he could clear it from the lot well, I would’ve been crazy to turn it down.

Anyway, I removed and disassembled the fuel door assembly. CAREFULL!, those screws are aluminum and the mating nuts are aluminum too! Like metals will gall very easily, (I’m a machinist by trade), and then of course, the cross-threading possibilities are a concern as well!

I washed the parts in warm soap water, removed any corrosion with a moto-tool, (steel brush bit), and then lightly sanded the surfaces with 400 grit emery paper.

Then rewashed the parts, blew them dry, and spray painted the outer ring and door with 4 coats of primer gray, (front and back). I sprayed the door itself with 4 more layers of clear-coat “Flat”, (in all cases, each coat applied was “thin” to avoid runs and ripples).

For the outer ring, I spray painted it with Rustoleum Gloss Black, (about 4 or 5 coats). I waited about 3 hours after the last coat and went over the entire thing with a fine sand paper to ‘dull it up” a bit. Then I sprayed 4 or 5 more clear-coat layers on it.

I only had Clear Coat in “Flat” finish, (the store I was at didn’t have the satin finish version). I didn’t want a high gloss on that ring but I didn’t want it flat either. I did have Krylon protectant in clear satin finish and applied 4 coats of that.

I know it sounds like a lot of “coats” but remember, each coat was light which offered fast drying times as a result. Therefore, I had the entire job done in about 5 hours, which included the 3 hours of drying time I gave the Rustoleum stage.

I waited until the following day and reinstalled the door. That’s it! Thanks again for the great suggestions and ideas!

BTW: the dealership’s ‘mechanic’, (and I use the term loosely), who replaced the door the first time, crossed threaded two of the 6 aluminum cap screws.

For anyone who may have that problem and wants to know what I did, I simply chased the nut of the cross-threaded screws with an 8-32 tap.

The screws themselves weren’t harmed but if they had been, I would’ve chased those with an 8-32 ring-die.
Rich

wingclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Herbie07 is on a distinguished road
THANKS for the info. Will be doing this.
Herbie07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
2009 & 2012 GT owner

Name: Rich
Vehicle: 2012 Mitz Eclipse GT
wingclip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeRampage View Post
What "exactly" is the gas cap cancer?
Where did the spots come from?
I'm a machinist (retired), and have worked with an uncountable number of materials. Aluminum is one of them and the most common grade of aluminum's for cars is 2024 T3 and 6061 T6 ("aircraft grade") and that fuel door is one of those grades.

If I had to guess, I’d say that the fuel door on my 2012 Eclipse GT is 2024 T3, (6061 aluminum would likely have lasted a little longer before showing signs of oxidation).

All commercial and consumer grade aluminum's will oxidize. The "cancer" you're looking at is simply corrosion. Aluminum, brass, bronze, etc., will corrode and breakdown like most other metals.

"Acid-rain", which is prevalent anywhere in the world, carries a number of pollutants that help speed that process up. Because the increase in air pollution worldwide, this oxidation process seems to be happening to many of these materials sooner than I remember it happening (maybe it’s just me).

There have been many new chemicals developed with the technological boom that we’ve had in the last 25 years to 40 years. These chemicals and ‘technological byproducts’ all make it to the water table and evaporation takes it to the air.

The rain brings it back down again and then windows begin scuffing, limestone statues start melting (ever faster), and Mitsubishi Eclipse fuel doors start corroding

I fixed mine the same way as shown in this thread but I wanted a Gloss-black door. Therefore, after I sealed it, I used several coats of “Rustoleum” paint. The instructions on the can said “no Primer needed” and I believed it.

Unfortunately, I should have gone with my feeling that applying a few coats of primer couldn’t hurt, but I didn’t. Now I think I see signs of some corrosion… Maybe not, I don’t know, I’ll have to look at it closer. This is a fuel door and gasoline can get under that paint so I’m not surprised if it is.

It’s been about 6 years since I fixed it so it did last quite a while.
Rich
wingclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2020, 01:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Herbie07 is on a distinguished road
Did it! Work great looks better than new.
Herbie07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
back, black, bolts, cancer, factory, gas, good, how to, metal, oil, paint, remove, subs, tire, water, white

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in