How to: adjust valve lash (4g69) - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Maintenance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tournaments Won: 2

Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GS
Cedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of light
How to: adjust valve lash (4g69)

Found this on evom, thought it could be useful for us. Credit goes to Myszkewicz on evolutionm.net

Tools needed:
10mm socket and ratchet
10mm box end wrench
medium standard screwdriver
feeler gauge set
1/2" drive ratchet and a 6" extension

Procedure:
1. Take the car out for a drive long enough to get it up to full operating temperature. You'll be setting the valve lash on it while it's hot, so be careful what you touch.

2. Park the car, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, and shut the car off. Take the key out of the ignition and pop the hood.

3. Remove the black plastic engine cover. It's three 10mm bolts across the back of the valve cover. Set the cover aside (it makes a great place for all the bolts if you set it upside-down).

4. Disconnect the wiring for the coils, and remove the four 10mm bolts (one per coil) that hold the coils in place. Also remove the two 10mm bolts that attach the wiring harness to the valve cover. Put all those bolts aside.

5. Remove the coils and set them aside.

6. Remove the six 10mm bolts that secure the valve cover (red arrows), and pop the wiring harness holder through the metal bracket (yellow arrow) to remove the valve cover. Also disconnect both of the rubber hoses that are attached to the valve cover.

7. Remove valve cover. I had to pick it up a little, then pull the end in my right hand towards me to clear the metal bracket the wiring was attached to, then the rest came out easily.

8. With the valve cover out of the way, what lies before you is a mess of rockers and springs, and buried under all that is the camshaft. Now comes the fun part...

9. Put the 6" extension on the 1/2" drive ratchet, and stick the square end of the extension in the center bolt on the crankshaft pulley. Turn it CLOCKWISE by hand until the timing mark on the pulley lines up with the "T" on the timing cover. (Hope you guys with Joe's pulley put some kind of mark on yours before installing it, like I did)

10. Try to rock the intake (further from you) and exhaust rockers (closer to you) for cylinders 1 (by your left hand) and 4 (by your right hand). Whichever cylinder both sets will rock on, that cylinder is at TDC, and that's the one you'll adjust. Also, the exhaust rockers of cylinder 2 or 3, and the intake on 3 or 2 will rock. Adjust those, too.

11. Adjustment is as follows: Loosen the jam nut on the adjustment screw, loosen the screw a couple turns. Rock the rocker back so the gap opens, and insert the appropriate feeler gauge (Intake valve: 0.20 mm (0.008 inch) Exhaust valve: 0.30 mm (0.012 inch) ). Tighten the screw with the screwdriver, but not so tight that the feeler gauge is difficult to move around. If it gets too tight, you'll be pushing the valve open slightly with the setscrew. Not a good thing. Anyway, while holding the setscrew in place with the screwdriver, tighten the jam nut with the 10mm wrench. Check the feeler gauge again to make sure it's not binding up in there.

12. When all those are done, rotate the crank by hand (again, clockwise) through one complete revolution, and line the mark back up with the "T". Again, either #1 or #4 will rock both sets (the opposite of the one that did before), and the exhaust rockers of #2 or #3, and the intake rockers of #3 or #2. In other words, the ones you didn't adjust the first round, do them this round.

13. Replace all the stuff you took off, take the ratchet and extension out of the crank center bolt, and start your engine. Check for oil leaks from the valve cover, and listen for anything that doesn't sound right. When I did mine, it was significantly quieter than before, almost like when it was new.
Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

cleartitleskate has a spectacular aura about
Props to you good sir. I had that done about a month ago and it will make a nice little difference on the idling sound and possibly performance. I believe you may have gotten it off evom.com ? But regardless something many people should take the time to do anytime after 50k...
cleartitleskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of lightCedric is a glorious beacon of light
Yep, gave credit where credit is needed for the how to =) (guy from evom, but we have the same engine, so we can use it) Cheers!

Old March 28th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008/eclipse/gs
ufc55 is on a distinguished road
wat does all this doo ?
ufc55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

cleartitleskate has a spectacular aura about
LOL Damn, I skimmed through the whole thing but failed to read the first sentence. So then yeah uber props to you then.
cleartitleskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
+rep sir, i suggest an admin make this a sticky or toss it in the howto. please ?
Mods: Protuned by S.Clark , Ebay hood scoop w/STi air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 w/blanket, STi pinks, Megan mounts, Defi boost, AEM WB, Walbro 255, GS EBC, Tein coils, RA mudflaps
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
subtechnician(eat fresh!)

Name: Nima
Vehicle: 07/gs
redstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to all
i like it perhaps a little too much
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

bump for a stickie !
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/gs
cnofzz will become famous soon enough
im gonna bump the above question at the risk of showing my noob. What is the purpose of this?
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GT
BrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud ofBrianJ has much to be proud of
^^^ the intake valves don't have automatic adjusters like the exhaust valves do. There is a specific tolerance (distance) that needs to be maintained between the rocker arm and the top of the valve...that's what you're adjusting.
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Soon to be SC'd :)

Name: Don Glisson
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
NitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond reputeNitroGlisson has a reputation beyond repute
E-rep for Cedric. I had searched for this info before out of curiosity and didn't find anything.
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

Asteroids Revenge Champion!Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
looks good! Sticky!

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Can you repost pics
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Sidney
Vehicle: 2007 GS Sun & Sound
sidneyaks is on a distinguished road
So I went ahead and grabbed the pics off of Evolutionnm.net. If anyone should choose to edit the first post with them, that'd be great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1882.jpg (90.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1883.jpg (76.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1885.jpg (4.4 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1886.jpg (3.7 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1400.jpg (2.8 KB, 335 views)
sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Sidney
Vehicle: 2007 GS Sun & Sound
sidneyaks is on a distinguished road
Oh no, what have I done!? Oh well, stupid thumbnails. Here are the full size images. Sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1885.jpg (100.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1886.jpg (99.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1400.jpg (73.3 KB, 97 views)
sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
2G Owner Turned 4G

Name: Lucas
Vehicle: 2007 GS
PhoenixWave is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone - so I really wanted to do this on my own, but feared I'd screw something up - so I took it to my local guy and turns out it's gonna cost me around $190 for this to be done. (most of the cost is the 2 hrs. they're telling me that it takes to do this ...)

Just wanted to get opinions - does that seem reasonable?

Thanks!
PhoenixWave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

Asteroids Revenge Champion!Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
It's too easy to not do it yourself. Why not try and learn something?

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
it is really easy
Mods: Protuned by S.Clark , Ebay hood scoop w/STi air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 w/blanket, STi pinks, Megan mounts, Defi boost, AEM WB, Walbro 255, GS EBC, Tein coils, RA mudflaps
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gamer

Name: Colten
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse GS 5 Speed
cmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to beholdcmturner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballfade View Post
it is really easy
Your going to do mine with me haha
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
I love To Drift

Name: Jeremy
Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT
Animefreak1983 is just really niceAnimefreak1983 is just really niceAnimefreak1983 is just really nice
Was anyone able to verify performance gains from these? Heard of anyone doing it on the gt?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Animefreak1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2014, 12:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Rich
Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GTV6
relfam is on a distinguished road
So I'm at Mitsubishi right now....about to leave....brought in my eclipse with the V6....I asked them to adjust my valve clearance because engine makes new loud tapping sound when cold....they are telling me this car doesn't need the valve adjustment done ever because of the auto lashers...wtf??? They told me I can replace the auto lashers for close to $1500
relfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 13th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Elad
elad.shalev is on a distinguished road
Sorry I'm waking this post from the dead, but it should be done on a hot engine? We are usually doing on cold engines (Volvo trucks)

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
elad.shalev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 15th, 2018, 07:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Chris
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GS
NamelessFoe will become famous soon enough
Got the valve cover off. went to test clearance, and there is none. Anyone ever have zero clearance on exhaust and intake valves prior to loosening screw?
NamelessFoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2020, 07:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 07 eclipse gs turbo
Jayallen is on a distinguished road
Is it safe to use the old valve cover gasket or best to buy a new one?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jayallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2020, 12:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayallen View Post
Is it safe to use the old valve cover gasket or best to buy a new one?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Must get a new one
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4g69, back, black, bolts, box, car, cover, engine, engine cover, evom, exhaust, gauge, good, hood, how to, ignition, intake, pick, removal, remove, sound, springs, temperature, timing, wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in