How To Guide Short Ram to Cold Air Intake Conversion - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Club4g Bouncer

Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT, 93 VR-4
ussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of lightussoldier0227 is a glorious beacon of light
Short Ram to Cold Air Intake Conversion

Hello all...Figured I write another guide for the ones wanting to learn. I had the injen intake configured to short ram. Well this caused a problem. The engine movement kept banging the filter into the fan guard damaging the filter. So I went ahead and installed the rest of the intake.

So first pics are of the damaged filter and what it was hitting.

So lets begin, Keep in mind I started from the short ram set-up so if you need any help installing the short ram, as always you can pm me.

This is the bottom part of the stock air box you need to remove to install the full cold air intake. The circle shows the first bolt you need to undo.

*Note* For this install you need a 10mm socket (Deep well) and a extension.

Now to access the next few bolts you need to pull the splash shield back. This is held on by some plastic screws and 2 bolts which you need a phillips screwdriver.

*Note* Jack up the car if no rack is available and remove the wheel for easier access.

Now after you have moved the splash shield, you can access the rest of the bolts as shown.

This one is sorta hidden to the left of the box, may have to pull the box towards the wheel to see it.

Now put your filter on the adapter as shown.
*Note* may not be the same for everyone, remember this is a injen intake.

To make things easier put your filter on first... put the tubing in place as if you are going to install and rotate the filter so the bracket matches with the bolt hole as pictured.
*This is the whole where the bolt was hidden to the left of the box*

Now when everything fits right go ahead and connect all your tubing together and bolt the filter bracket in place.

The injen tubing is a bitch to mess with...To help slide the tubing on, dip your finger in the power steering fluid and rub it on the OUTSIDE of the rim to help slide it on.

Once everything is in place and all your clamps are tightend down...GRATZ! you are finished.

As you can see your filter is well protected from water.

So now just snap your splash shield back in place, put your wheel on and enjoy your cold air intake!

I hope this helps...I know they come with instructions but mine was in black and white and kinda hard to see. Plus you can always pm me and I will help the best I can. The reason I joined the club!

My next few guides will deal wit hthe suspension, motor mounts , and later on Nitrous!!

RRE Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, TB Bypass, Intake and TB spacers, Ingalls Stiffy, Energy motor mounts and bushings, CM Stage 3, Injen CIA, ZEX 65 shot, Eibach springs. Purdy Purge kit.
ussoldier0227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Dark Side

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Vader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond reputeVader6 has a reputation beyond repute
Dude maybe i just can't see it correctly but ur supposed to have a rubber mount for the the connector in the engine and one for the filter to give it some leway when the engine torques....i don't see one for u in ur filter pic.
2006 Kalapana Black Eclipse GT, Sportronic, Blackout Badge, Grill Delete, Ralliart Eyelids, No DRL, 3" Header Back Exhaust Dump off the Rear Axle, Momo Shift Knob and Pedals, H13/H11 8K HID, LED Interior Lights, 35% Tint, Dual Rockford Fosgate P1 In A Custom Sub Box/ T400-2 Amp...Coming Soon: Painted Rims (Black)
Vader6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Be Cool

Name: Elvedin
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
Vedo43 will become famous soon enough
going to try this, lot cheaper then buying an intake and just having the short ram sit around. where did you get your hands on the hose, and the adapter, local shops dont quite have it, also how long and how wide is the opening on both ends of the hose?

thanks
Vedo43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Kat (Karolyn)
Vehicle: 2011 Spyder GT-P
Ratskat has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedo43 View Post
going to try this, lot cheaper then buying an intake and just having the short ram sit around. where did you get your hands on the hose, and the adapter, local shops dont quite have it, also how long and how wide is the opening on both ends of the hose?

thanks
If he bought Injen it can be used as SRI or CAI. The black "hose" if this is what you are talking about comes with the kit.

Redline Tuning hood lifts, Ralliart colour matched eyelids, painted "eclipse" fuel door & calipers, Kenwood DNX 7160 DD w/ bluetooth & Garmin GPS, Custom sealed sub box w/ Rockford Fosgate Amp & 10" sub, stubbie antenna & sexy 18" Rims. Purrrfect
Ratskat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Be Cool

Name: Elvedin
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
Vedo43 will become famous soon enough
kinda figured after searching and coming up with nothing, i have just the injen sri, bout 4 years old at this point. Guess ill just have to use some make shift parts. thanks ratskat
Vedo43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Kat (Karolyn)
Vehicle: 2011 Spyder GT-P
Ratskat has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedo43 View Post
kinda figured after searching and coming up with nothing, i have just the injen sri, bout 4 years old at this point. Guess ill just have to use some make shift parts. thanks ratskat
wish I had better news for you but maybe injen sells replacement parts or conversion to older sri to cai kits? doesn't hurt to contact them and find out

Redline Tuning hood lifts, Ralliart colour matched eyelids, painted "eclipse" fuel door & calipers, Kenwood DNX 7160 DD w/ bluetooth & Garmin GPS, Custom sealed sub box w/ Rockford Fosgate Amp & 10" sub, stubbie antenna & sexy 18" Rims. Purrrfect
Ratskat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Eric
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse Gt
Masterkush is on a distinguished road
Are you suppose to take out the ATF box thingy too?
Masterkush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
AustinODonnell

Name: Austin ODonnell
Vehicle: 2007/eclipse/gt
07eclipse22over is on a distinguished road
Yes you are, also quick question for anyone who has the short ram in. Does yours create a sort of short repetitive belt or whistle noise near the 2000 to 3000 rpm range? I've been getting it and only when I'm light on the gas
07eclipse22over is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT Spyder
Mdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to allMdixon23 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07eclipse22over View Post
Yes you are, also quick question for anyone who has the short ram in. Does yours create a sort of short repetitive belt or whistle noise near the 2000 to 3000 rpm range? I've been getting it and only when I'm light on the gas
Yes I have a short ram and mine whistles too. It took me a while to get used to it but now I kinda like hearing it.

DDM 6k HID Headlights and Fogs, Blacked out OE spoiler lip, Teins S-Tech Lowering Springs, Red painted brake calipers
Mdixon23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GT
kylemccrack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdixon23 View Post
Yes I have a short ram and mine whistles too. It took me a while to get used to it but now I kinda like hearing it.
lol yea it sorta sounds like a turbo or supercharger
kylemccrack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
AustinODonnell

Name: Austin ODonnell
Vehicle: 2007/eclipse/gt
07eclipse22over is on a distinguished road
Well sadly I don't always get the lovely whistle but get a funky repetitive annoying sound that sounds like a belt.
07eclipse22over is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Fuck You
stixs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07eclipse22over View Post
Well sadly I don't always get the lovely whistle but get a funky repetitive annoying sound that sounds like a belt.
I've used sri and cai and mine sounds like a squeak most of the time and some times a whistle. I recently added a shield and a hydroshield and the squeak is more whistle than squeak now, lol.
stixs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Name: Adolfo
Vehicle: 08 Eclipse Gt
coheedthief is on a distinguished road
I just installed the cai and I hear this whistle noise, between 2k 3k rpm !!
coheedthief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Goua
Vehicle: 2009 eclipse GT
Hangzilla4G is on a distinguished road
So I recently installed my DC cold air intake and it's been making this squeaking noise when ever I accelerate then stop after a few seconds. What could it be????
Hangzilla4G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2018, 08:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Egerton
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse Spyder GT
heathemcn is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this info, will help with my install.
heathemcn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2019, 08:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Lushez231 is on a distinguished road
getting a long cold air intake is ok also. i found on on amazon but thats the only one i can find. and what about the air box. should i just leave it open? if not how do i close it?
Lushez231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07/ eclipse/ gray
07clipse is on a distinguished road
Normally just plug the resonator on top of the engine. I got a 2$ autozone bolt that expands when tight. Put all stock related things in a box in the garage 🙂
07clipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
air intake, back, black, box, car, cold air, cold air intake, engine, how to, injen, intake, mounts, nitrous, power steering, problem, ram, remove, rim, shield, short, short ram, stock, suspension, wheel, white

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in