How To Guide 4G69 RRE Header Install - Page 2 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #41 (permalink)

Name: Jeff
Vehicle: 2002 Honda S2k
Daxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud of
i should wait to buy the pulley kit then just to see. ill ask the seller if theyre included. why do we need spacers though? does it get too hot or something?

Mods=Daxenth's Satin Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsou View Post
I, Panda and Dax, decree that on this Sunday morning, the third generation Eclipse is now revoked of all it's right to be part of the Eclipse family. From now on it is to be known as the "Mitsubishi Stillbirth".
Daxenth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #42 (permalink)
The Baker.

Vehicle: 2011 Maxima 3.5
07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of
no, the spacers restrict the amount of exhaust flow to the o2 sensors. without them the o2s get a lot more gases than the stock header and will throw a code.
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #43 (permalink)

Daxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud of
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... okay.. never really understood those but i get it now. lol why couldnt RRE just make the holes normal size... oh well i asked him just waiting on a response. thanks for the info man. i wish we could do without those stupid things -_-

Quote:
I, Panda and Dax, decree that on this Sunday morning, the third generation Eclipse is now revoked of all it's right to be part of the Eclipse family. From now on it is to be known as the "Mitsubishi Stillbirth".

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #44 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2014 Mustang
choppertwo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSidEclipse View Post
There is no new thread button in the How-To so I will do it here, and it can be moved if need be. Ok so job difficulty I would say about a 2 out of 10. Time well it took me about 30 mins. If you don't know anything I would say maybe 1-2 hours tops.

Tools needed:
Ratchet
10mm deep, & short (Driver side O2 mounting bracket)
12mm deep, & short (Heat Shield)
14mm deep, & short (2 collector bolts, mounting bracket, Exhaust port bolts)
17mm deep (2 of the collector bolts)
14mm wrench (One of the exhaust port bolts you will see why)
22mm wrench (O2 Sensors)
Pliers or Channel locks (Channel lock preferred for mounting Sensor into Spacer)
Bore drill bit (One of the holes on the header wasn't lined up quite right)
Copper Gasket

Thats it for tools needed. More to follow when I upload the pics. This really is a simple task, once you see that you will realize it's a waste of money to pay for this job to be done for you.
Hey man thx for all the info, unfortunatly, my freeking printers on the fritz so I just got done writing all this shit down, hope this will help my shop when I get mine, soon I hope-- CHOP
choppertwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #45 (permalink)

half hour my ass.. i been out here for 2 and a half and dont even have the stock off... fml man

Quote:
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Theta II

Name: David
Vehicle: 12 Kia Optima SX
DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
What's up Dax what's giving you problem's?

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...-new-ride.html
DarkSidEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
Professional Jackass

Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GT
moja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to beholdmoja is a splendid one to behold
Hey man, if I order the V6 ones you want some free beer to help me install? Mine's a GT, so it would be interesting..
moja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Theta II

Name: David
Vehicle: 12 Kia Optima SX
DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah bro I will help you no problem. I'll help you install some springs too if you decide to finally lower that beast.

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...-new-ride.html
DarkSidEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

Vehicle: 06 Mitsu Eclipse GS
dsm2mivec is a jewel in the roughdsm2mivec is a jewel in the rough
ok so just for clarification o2 spacers are included from rre
dsm2mivec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
subtechnician(eat fresh!)

Name: Nima
Vehicle: 07/gs
redstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm2mivec View Post
ok so just for clarification o2 spacers are included from rre
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #51 (permalink)

Name: Newman
Vehicle: 2007/eclipse-gs
07-eclipse-newbie has a spectacular aura about
DAMN nice write up, im gona instal mine once i get back to the US, but till then, i still gotta order spacers :/ anyone got ne i can have?? :/

~newbie
[QUOTE=ALBOE]And that's why you will be mini me, Buuuuut whenever you get your carbon fiber parts, you'll be all grown up, and i'll be happy father [QUOTE]
07-eclipse-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #52 (permalink)

Name: Mark
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
marksmitsu219 has a spectacular aura about
So just to clarify the spacers go on the bottom 2 o2 sensors and not on the header it self?
marksmitsu219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #53 (permalink)

Name: Derek
Vehicle: 06 Gs Auto
derek-g will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmitsu219 View Post
So just to clarify the spacers go on the bottom 2 o2 sensors and not on the header it self?
Yes the spacers go on the bottom. The o2 sensors are a pain in the butt to get off to ha i installed spacers in mine a few weeks ago and so far just a code every now and then. Def worth the headache for the install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...clipse-gs.html
derek-g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:27 AM   #54 (permalink)

Name: Shane
Biskitking is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have any experience using a straight pipe after the header?

On my last domestic build we used electric cut out valves on the exhaust to completely bypass the cats and muffler, hella loud but no restriction, Im wondering if that might be a future possibility .....

I used these on the V8 Stang..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670136/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-qtec30/overview/

I would really like to ponder this idea with some careful group consideration...
Biskitking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #55 (permalink)
LeJuif

Name: scott
Vehicle: 2008 spyder
0eightspyder is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys!

Hey whats up. This is my first post on this forum, so I want to say hello first. But to the point, I just purchased the OBX header for the 2008 GS. The upgrade guide on here says to coat and wrap it? I'm assuming the wrap part is thermal tape, but what am I coating it in? Sorry for the ignorance, this is my first time ever trying anything more extensive than putting in new headlight bulbs!
0eightspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #56 (permalink)
LeJuif

Name: scott
Vehicle: 2008 spyder
0eightspyder is on a distinguished road
Does everything in this guide pertain to the OBX header as well? Especially about using the spacers to not get the CEL?
0eightspyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
I believe OBX has to be welded to the remainder of your exhaust. But for the most part it's the same concept. SES light is tricky on our cars and you will see it pop on occasionally even with spacers on.

My Ride Thread: https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #58 (permalink)

Name: Austin
Vehicle: 2011 Eclipse GS Sport
bl00dsh0ty will become famous soon enough
So, real quiock thread revival... I only got the headers and spacers from RRE. I assume this means I can use the stock gaskets and bolts.. right? I'm only concerned about the ones that bolt the headers to the collector.
bl00dsh0ty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #59 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
If I remember correctly, your should be able to. Make sure to get some wd40 to make bolts easier to.remove.
Mods: Protuned by S.Clark , Ebay hood scoop w/STi air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 w/blanket, STi pinks, Megan mounts, Defi boost, AEM WB, Walbro 255, GS EBC, Tein coils, RA mudflaps
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #60 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
I think I did get new bolts for header to exhaust connection though.
Mods: Protuned by S.Clark , Ebay hood scoop w/STi air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 w/blanket, STi pinks, Megan mounts, Defi boost, AEM WB, Walbro 255, GS EBC, Tein coils, RA mudflaps
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #61 (permalink)

I'll just WD-40 the bottom bolts and it SHOULD come off. I mean.. how bad can 3 bolts be?
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #62 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
^I snapped my flex pipe...so bad lol

My Ride Thread: https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #63 (permalink)

WD-40 makes a HELL of a difference.. From having two people trying to crank off the O2 sensors to having one do it with little effort. Heat shield is off and I cracked all the bolts before tightening them back down. Didn't have a jack for the car so I'm waiting until this afternoon when I get home.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #64 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl00dsh0ty View Post
WD-40 makes a HELL of a difference.. From having two people trying to crank off the O2 sensors to having one do it with little effort.
Told ya
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #65 (permalink)

Aaaaannddd. now my headers are on as of Friday night. ALOT louder now.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:36 AM   #66 (permalink)

Name: Alexander
EPOCLIPSE777 is on a distinguished road
Hey boys just got a couple questions. Copper gasket that u speak of is KoprKote??and do I need to put it on the gaskets?? Seems a bit strange. And what's the torque and torque sequence on the header
EPOCLIPSE777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2014, 12:38 PM   #67 (permalink)

Name: Jake
Vehicle: 2011 PBP STi
unde7277 has a spectacular aura about
I just tightened them tell they were snug I didn't want to over tighten them, and mine didn't leak at all.

Ralli art eyelids // injen CAI // GReddy RS Exhaust // Progress rear sway // D2 Coilovers // RRE UDP // ralco short shifter // Black housing headlights //
unde7277 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #68 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
Blackhawk is on a distinguished road
if youre installing new headers, why not spend the 20-30 bucks to get new header gaskets? I mean it seems foolish not too, no matter how little miles you have, you just might as well...
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2014, 03:15 PM   #69 (permalink)

Name: Jake
Vehicle: 2011 PBP STi
unde7277 has a spectacular aura about
I reused my stock one because RRE said it's better than any other aftermarket gasket.

Ralli art eyelids // injen CAI // GReddy RS Exhaust // Progress rear sway // D2 Coilovers // RRE UDP // ralco short shifter // Black housing headlights //
unde7277 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:07 PM   #70 (permalink)

I just finished installing mine, I dont think it leaks or nothing. I tried to do as legit as I could. Lossened all the nuts from outside in. 1/4 turn in a sequence. Same as snugging it I went from inside in , so start at the middle bottom stud and worked my way out . The torque on them suppose to be 36ft-lbs. So I started at 16ft-lbs and went thru the sequence 3time (2 is good enough) , then to 26ft-lbs ,then 36ft-lbs.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:11 PM   #71 (permalink)

Honestly it took me fucking 1 hour to pull 2 top 02 sensors of. I soaked every bolt in wd 40 over night after I ran the engine for a bit burned all the rust of, same thing in the morning. I didn't touch 02s with wd 40 tho cuz I thought your not suppose to cuz u tuning risk of getting some on the element.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:15 PM   #72 (permalink)

My car is straight piped with a 4inch tip on and hollly fuck does it sound crazy with the these headers on. Honestly sound like a muscle car up to 3gs and then like ricer in higher rpms
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:16 PM   #73 (permalink)

I never put copper gasket on header or gasket tho. Just all the bolts and top threads of 02s
Old July 22nd, 2019, 08:28 AM   #74 (permalink)
Mits Man

Name: Izzy
Vehicle: 2010 Eclipse GS Sport A/T
yungbawss is on a distinguished road
2019 Update- RRE Header Install How-To Guide

Did my RRE header install this weekend with the help of this guide. Figured I'd throw my 2 cents on here for anyone in 2019+ that does this mod. Our cars are starting to age so a lot of these guides have to be approached differently (can't re-use the same stock parts, have to pay special attention to rust, etc.) Also- I converted the original how-to post into a step-by-step guide in PDF format so that I could print it out in a clean format. I found this very useful to have in the garage with my while I was doing the install; it is attached to this post in case anyone else wants it too.

-Save yourself some time and pick up three 3/8"-16 hex bolts (1.5-2" long) with matching nuts & washers from Home Depot. These bolts will replace your stock exhaust collector bolts! Our cars are starting to get old... in 2019+ there is no way you'll be able to re-use your collector bolts. I tried restoring mine for re-use, but ended up spending 30 mins in Home Depot finding the matching bolts I just referenced.

-Buy new upper/lower gaskets! I saw that both RRE and this guide recommended keeping the stock ones, but I ordered new ones anyway... and I'm glad I did! My stock gaskets were definitely showing their age and I wouldn't have felt comfortable re-using them, even after a thorough cleaning.

-Purchase some BreakFree. This works better than WD-40 for loosening up rusted bolts/nuts IMO.

-Make sure you torque the engine-header nuts, exhaust-header bolts, and O2 sensors to the proper spec! Not sure why no one else mentioned this on this thread. My dad told me this is especially important for the engine-header nuts. Here goes the torque specs: Torque on engine-header nuts is 36ft-lbs. Torque on O2 sensors is 33ft-lbs. Torque on the exhaust-header bolts is 33ft-lbs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4G Mits Eclipse RRE Header Install Guide(1).pdf (739.8 KB, 12 views)
yungbawss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4g69, bolts, bracket, button, driver, exhaust, header, heat, install, money, mounting, pics, qui, rre, sensors, shield, short, spacer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in