How To Guide 4G69 RRE Header Install - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Theta II

Name: David
Vehicle: 12 Kia Optima SX
DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
4G69 RRE Header Install

There is no new thread button in the How-To so I will do it here, and it can be moved if need be. Ok so job difficulty I would say about a 2 out of 10. Time well it took me about 30 mins. If you don't know anything I would say maybe 1-2 hours tops.

Tools needed:
Ratchet
10mm deep, & short (Driver side O2 mounting bracket)
12mm deep, & short (Heat Shield)
14mm deep, & short (2 collector bolts, mounting bracket, Exhaust port bolts)
17mm deep (2 of the collector bolts)
14mm wrench (One of the exhaust port bolts you will see why)
22mm wrench (O2 Sensors)
Pliers or Channel locks (Channel lock preferred for mounting Sensor into Spacer)
Bore drill bit (One of the holes on the header wasn't lined up quite right)
Copper Gasket

Thats it for tools needed. More to follow when I upload the pics. This really is a simple task, once you see that you will realize it's a waste of money to pay for this job to be done for you.

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."
https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...-new-ride.html
DarkSidEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Theta II

DarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond reputeDarkSidEclipse has a reputation beyond repute
Step 1. Disconnect Battery negative, and positive making sure they touch nothing. Some will argue this is not needed. However I have been CEL free from the moment I started the car at the end of the job. So it's up to you. I also sprayed everything down RP Maxifilm to loosen it all up.

Step 2. Jack the Car up and place jack stands. I only jacked up the passenger side. Its up to you if you want to raise the whole front end, or not.

Step 3. Disconnect all 4 O2 Sensors. There are two plugs on the driver side, and two on the passenger side. Gray and Black Plugs after you unplug them pull the plastic plug off of the bracket. The driver's side I used a 10mm socket to take the bracket off cause the plugs were stubborn. You can also take pliers now and bend all the wire brackets a little so you can get the wire out easily.

Driver's Side

Passenger

Step 4. Take your 12mm socket, and remove the heat shield bolts. These will not be reused. After there out take your time and wiggle the heat shield out of the engine bay. I say take your time so you don't damage your 02 sensors.

Step 5. This is where I went under the car. I did it in this order to make it easier. Trust me it does but you don't have to do it in this order if you like to make things harder on yourself. First take the 22mm wrench and break your bottom 02 sensors free. Once they are loosened up take your 14mm deep socket, and remove the front collector bolt. Now take your 17mm deep socket and remove the 2 nuts on the sides of the collector. After those are free take the 14mm socket pull down on the collector and remove the bracket bolt.

Step 6. Come back up topside with your 14mm deep socket and remove the I think its 6 nuts that are holding your manifold on the block. Once those are off simply pull your OEM manifold out of the engine bay. While your doing this please feel free to notice how much heavier it is than the RRE.

Step 7. Clean the exhaust ports good with carburetor cleaner, The OEM Gasket's also. Make sure you clean them all very well. Now that it is all clean take your Gasket, and coat around the exhaust port holes with copper gasket. On both sides of the gasket slide it on the bolts. Line the header up on the bolts and push it on. ( I had to bore one of the holes with a drill cause it was a little off. Not sure if anyone else had too.) Place the washer's and bolts back on and tighten them down. I don't know spec's but I tightened nice and tight.

Step 8. Climb under the car. First put the bracket bolt in and tighten it down. Same thing for the gasket here coat both sides in copper gasket around the hole. It doesn't take a whole lot. Put in the new bolts RRE supplied so the nut will be on the bottom. Line up the collector and push it up to meet the header. Twist the nuts on, and tighten down with your 14mm deep socket. Again I tightened until I felt comfortable.

Step 9. Take the bottom 2 O2 sensor's (black wire) put copper gasket around the thread careful not to get any on the sensor. Screw them into the Spacer's provided by RRE. I used channel lock's and the 22mm wrench to tighten them into the spacer. Now put some copper gasket on the thread of the spacer's and screw them back into the collector. Take your 22 mm wrench and tighten them in. It doesn't take much to tighten them. Same for the upper sensor's(gray wire). Re run your O2 wires through the bracket's and squeeze them closed again. Now plug your sensor's back in black to black gray to gray. Don't forget to put the plastic plug back on the bracket.

Step 10. reconnect battery check your engine bay make sure nothing is going to cause any trouble ie items left behind. Put the key in and start the car. Listen for exhaust leak's. Check for CEL which if you disconnected the battery you shouldn't have. If you used carb cleaner you can watch the small flame come out of you exhaust if your quick enough.

The header, and Copper gasket are gonna smoke they are supposed to it's ok. The copper gasket is gonna burn and it is gonna stink for a few days. It will go away eventually. Enjoy your sound, and power.

I have noticed she deff has a lil something extra in the lower power band. Not much but a little bit. The engine even seems to be a lil stiffer under tq. Maybe its my imagination maybe its the thickness of the steel who knows. Anyone else notice this? The real fun is in MIVEC you deff feel it there. Pulls like a freight train its amazing. If your on it good you can even get a little torque steer when MIVEC hits.

That's all any other question's PM me

"No, no, no, light speed is too slow. We're gonna have to go right to MIVEC speed."

Last edited by DarkSidEclipse; March 30th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

Name: Juan
Vehicle: 2009 GS 5speed
ThE JaIMsTa is a jewel in the roughThE JaIMsTa is a jewel in the rough
When you gunna upload the pics?!?!? I wannnaaaa seeee!!

We are the GS, Vroom Vroom Bitches
ThE JaIMsTa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 29th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Theta II

Later tonight I will upload the pics and finish the write up

Old March 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
<( -.-<) (>-.- )>

Name: Juan
Vehicle: 2009 GS 5speed
ThE JaIMsTa is a jewel in the roughThE JaIMsTa is a jewel in the rough
sweeeeeeeet

We are the GS, Vroom Vroom Bitches
ThE JaIMsTa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Theta II

updated

Old March 30th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Vehicle: 07 Eclipse GT
Toper is on a distinguished road
This deserves a sticky! nicewriteup!
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
Yea baby pulls rather well when mivec hits , im also able to make green lights now, before they turn red haha (just had to toss that in there xD).
Mods: Protuned by S.Clark , Ebay hood scoop w/STi air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 w/blanket, STi pinks, Megan mounts, Defi boost, AEM WB, Walbro 255, GS EBC, Tein coils, RA mudflaps
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
4G69er

Name: Daniel
Location: Where the only team in the NFL that had a perfect season resides...
Vehicle: CS7A
Lanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of lightLanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of lightLanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of lightLanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of light
Wow the gs stock header is nothing like the ralliarts , I'm surprised
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Theta II

Whats different do you guys not have 2 cats on it?

Old March 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Theta II

What no e-love guys

Old March 30th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
4G69er

Name: Daniel
Location: Where the only team in the NFL that had a perfect season resides...
Vehicle: CS7A
Lanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of lightLanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of lightLanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of lightLanzerralliart is a glorious beacon of light
Yea that and the entire model is different but nice upgrade.
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Theta II

Can we move this to the How to section

Old April 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
"Uncle" Clayton

Tournaments Won: 1

Name: Clayton
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Chaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant futureChaos has a brilliant future
You did all that without a single beer! I'm amazed
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Theta II

When I did it I actually took a beer out with me. However I never got a chance to crack it, and by the time I was done it was still cold. So after a job well done I sat back and enjoyed. Honestly the longest part was cleaning

Old April 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008/eclipse/gs
ufc55 is on a distinguished road
whats the noise like to loud?
ufc55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Theta II

I have the fujita, and magnaflow catback with it. I don't think it's to loud It sounds mean. It also sets off car alarms though

Old April 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2008/eclipse/gs
ufc55 is on a distinguished road
im getting it!!!! now
ufc55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gots me a sooby

Name: Keith "The Ricer" Randolph
Vehicle: 02 wrx
Ballfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant futureBallfade has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSidEclipse View Post
I have the fujita, and magnaflow catback with it. I don't think it's to loud It sounds mean. It also sets off car alarms though
yea i set off this one dudes alarm at the apt, so i have to creep in very slowly haha.
Mods: Protuned by S.Clark , Ebay hood scoop w/STi air splitter, Ebay turbo inlet, Ebay tmic, Ebay Turbo-back, vf39 w/blanket, STi pinks, Megan mounts, Defi boost, AEM WB, Walbro 255, GS EBC, Tein coils, RA mudflaps
Ballfade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
subtechnician(eat fresh!)

Name: Nima
Vehicle: 07/gs
redstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to all
e-love for you sir!
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Theta II

One thing I wanted to add. Just like painting Surface prep is very important. Remember you are trying to mate two objects of your engine together. The cleaner, and smoother the surface the better the coupling. You don't want any space for air to leak.

I used TB Cleaner worked like a charm

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired User

sporty is just really nicesporty is just really nicesporty is just really nice
can a mod make this a sticky ? this is great info here.its write ups like this that is very helpfull especially for future peeps that want to know how.it would be nice when i get the header eventually to access this page without having to do alot of digging to find it.if i say pease ?
sporty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Shane
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse/Gs
haladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to behold
still not in how to, it should be lol
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Miembro

Vehicle: 06 Eclipse GS
TyEclipse has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for this great how-to. E-raped!
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #25 (permalink)
a=dv/dt

Name: Matthew
Vehicle: 2008 ECLIPSE GS
Matt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond reputeMatt-Man has a reputation beyond repute
awesome job! rep'd

EDIT- nvm it said i cant rep u

Selling E4E rear and sides, will need to be refinished and repainted. Pm me
Matt-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #26 (permalink)

haladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to beholdhaladafs is a splendid one to behold
ne one know bolt specs for the ones that rre supplies, i'm not sure what size i need to get and i want to have them before my header comes
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

where did you get copper gasket and about how much was it, and i was doing the install tonight and it didn't go so great lol, bolts were too big i bought and the left side 02 sensor wouldn't come out no matter what, eventally got pretty rounded.. sigh anyways im guna try at it again monday or tomorow night hoping 11mm bolts will be small enough and i'll probably take my header to orileys and see if they can get it off there
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

Name: Jeff
Vehicle: 2002 Honda S2k
Daxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud of
Great write up. gonna come in handy. although aside from the 02 sensors it seems literally bolt on and bam. instant (expensive) power. and im curious as to the copper gasket and price as well.

Mods=Daxenth's Satin Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsou View Post
I, Panda and Dax, decree that on this Sunday morning, the third generation Eclipse is now revoked of all it's right to be part of the Eclipse family. From now on it is to be known as the "Mitsubishi Stillbirth".
Daxenth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

yeah lot of rusty ass bolts, but its pretty easy if it wasn't for the 02 sensors, i'm hoping orileys can get it off, the tool from autozone failed me i bought the things in there i even had it soaked in wd40
Old August 14th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

Daxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud ofDaxenth has much to be proud of
yeah reading (and knowing my car is technically 3 yrs old (08)) makes me wanna go out now and crack the corrosion just to make sure in a few months when i get my headers it wont be nearly as hard to get them off.

Quote:
I, Panda and Dax, decree that on this Sunday morning, the third generation Eclipse is now revoked of all it's right to be part of the Eclipse family. From now on it is to be known as the "Mitsubishi Stillbirth".
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #31 (permalink)

is the tube copper gasket just as good as spray or does it matter, and they sell it at autozone for around 6-8 bucks if its same as him
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
subtechnician(eat fresh!)

Name: Nima
Vehicle: 07/gs
redstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to allredstar666 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by haladafs View Post
is the tube copper gasket just as good as spray or does it matter, and they sell it at autozone for around 6-8 bucks if its same as him
tube it brother! gl w/ bolts
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #33 (permalink)

i just bought RRE Headers. used. and im wondering what i should do about the bolts cause im assuming the hardware isnt included.. i just realized that. could stock bolts work or no? and i have spray copper gasket

Quote:
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
The Baker.

Vehicle: 2011 Maxima 3.5
07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of
you'll be fine, im running my stock gaskets and bolts with my header.
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #35 (permalink)

and no CEL or leaks or anything?

Quote:
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #36 (permalink)
The Baker.

07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of07satinGS has much to be proud of
no leaks, and as long as you have the spacers in the o2 sensors on the downpipe you wont get a CEL.
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #37 (permalink)

do i have spacers on the stocks? cause honestly idk what to look for lol sorry for all the questions man just dont wanna mess it up

Quote:
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
The Baker.

the spacers should come with the header if the seller included them.
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

hmm... and if not im prolly sol huh?

Quote:
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #40 (permalink)
The Baker.

no, if the header doesn't come with the spacers you can order them from RRE for like 18 bux. you can still install the header without the spacers until you get them but you may/will throw a CEL.

Tags
4g69, bolts, bracket, button, driver, exhaust, header, heat, install, money, mounting, pics, qui, rre, sensors, shield, short, spacer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in