How To: Sea Foam - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sully's Detailing

Vehicle: 2008 Raider
sullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to behold
How To: Sea Foam

romg guide, someone put this in the maintenance section for me imo!:

"Howto: Seafoam Engine Treatment"

Doing a seafoam treatment every 10000 or so miles can really clean your engine and give you a longer lasting, higher performing engine. Basically what happens is you buy a bottle of this stuff at Autozone or any auto store, spray it in your engine, and run the piss out of it so it spits out all the crap inside the engine.

NOTE: This is a very easy, but 2 person, job. You need someone who is capable of idling the car in neutral to help you.

So, start by going to autozone and buying a bottle/can of Seafoam. I bought the Deep Creep version, but the regular stuff is probably the same and might be easier to use.

Now that you have your can of Seafoam, drive home and park somewhere that's not your garage, as you don't want a ton of smoke in there. I used my driveway, and closed the garage.

Open the hood, and look toward the engine from the front. Look at the back-right of the compartment by the battery, just to the left of the battery you will see your brake fluid container and this small hose, called the brake booster hose, plugged into a large circular black thing. Mine had blue writing on it.

Remove that hose by pushing the 2 clamp prongs together and pulling on the hose, so that you have the hose connected to the engine but not the brake booster. Here comes the 2 person part.

Take your can of Seafoam, and if you have the Deep Creep stuff, connect the little red tube to the can snugly (You don't want that falling into your booster hose ). If you have the regular stuff, open it up.

Have your helper get in to the car, and put the key in the ignition, but don't start it. Work out some sort of signal so that when you're ready, your helper will start the car, in neutral, and keep the engine steady at around 1500rpms. When the car is started, start pouring/spraying the seafoam into the engine. It's going to start smoking from the exhaust like crazy, and bucking and misfiring, etc. Don't worry about that. You'll probably get a Check Engine Light too, not a problem.

Continue this until the can is empty or you can't stand to press the button any more, and have your helper turn the car off immediately after it's empty. If you didn't quite get the whole can in, no biggie, pour the rest of it into your gas tank.

Reconnect the brake booster line to the large black circular thing and wait 5 minutes. Make sure the clamp on the booster hose is secure.

After 5 minutes, go run the piss out of your car, keep the RPMs high, waste gas, but don't get a ticket! Find a highway or backroad, and run in a lower gear than usual to blow all the crap out. I did this for about 20 minutes, but it stopped smoking after about 5-10 so you could presumably stop when the smoke stops. If you got a check engine light, go to autozone have it read/cleared, unless it's something unrelated, might want to get that checked. I would assume you would get a misfire or o2 sensor code.

Congrats, your engine is clean and will feel very powerful compared to before you treated it!

Thanks to Tech Greek for help with this, credit goes to him for the idea and procedure, pics are mine though

Shawn
www.sullysdetailing.com
[email protected]
sullysdetailing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sully's Detailing

Vehicle: 2008 Raider
sullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to beholdsullysdetailing is a splendid one to behold
From Sea Foam

Sea Foam Deap Creep
DEEP CREEP Air Intake Cleaner
Run engine to normal operating temperature.
Shut engine off and disconnect air intake boot.
Spray DEEP CREEP into throat with throttle plate open. Saturate and soak. Clean with a soft toothbrush or cloth if necessary.
Spray into throat with straw attached to finalize cleaning.
Reconnect air intake boot and drive.
Make sure exhaust is well ventilated as fumes may be extreme for a short time.
Safe for teflon coatings, lubricates bushings.

DEEP CREEP Carbon Cleaner

Gives smoother idle
Cleans intake valves and pistons
Cures hesitations and pings
Restores power and pickup

With engine warm, keep on high idle and spray through carburetor, or throttle body throat. If engine is port injected, use only vacuum lines that feed all cylinders. When engine is loaded up, turn off ignition. Restart engines after 5 minutes. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated as fumes will be extreme for a short time. Ideal for small engines. Use a Schraeder Valve hose attachment if needed for outboard motors. For further cleaning, use SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT in tank.

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT
How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors
With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.

For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.
When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor

Cleans carbon build up
Cleans intake valves and pistons
Gives smoother idle
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Cures hesitations and pings
Restores power and pickup
With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.
When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

Frees sticky lifters and rings
Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
Cleans dirty parts
Removes moisture
Cleans PCV valve systems

One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank
Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
Cleans carbon as you drive
Lubricates upper cylinders
De-ices and removes moisture
Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
Stabilizes fuel
One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

Shawn
www.sullysdetailing.com
[email protected]

Last edited by sullysdetailing; January 1st, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
sullysdetailing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

Asteroids Revenge Champion!Tournaments Won: 12

Vehicle: Corvette C6.R, SRT4 ACR
360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Very good info thanks.

Next up: Comp cam, Yella Terra rocker arms... Hello 450whp!!!!
360jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aviator

Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/Gt
EclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond reputeEclipseFL07 has a reputation beyond repute
So there are no side effects except the check engine light?

Selling OEM brakes (rotors, pads) - low miles
EclipseFL07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Yes
zahbaz is a jewel in the roughzahbaz is a jewel in the rough
I heard spark plugs don't like this stuff... anyone care to comment?
zahbaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahbaz View Post
I heard spark plugs don't like this stuff... anyone care to comment?
I made the guide, and didn't have any negative effects, only positives.

dunno why I'm not acknowledged as author..
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute360jeepboy has a reputation beyond repute
Cause you drive an SI

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
"Yayo"

Vehicle: 2003 Eclipse GTS
Kilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond reputeKilzod has a reputation beyond repute
Kilzod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Eclipse MR

Hey Fish I have a Honda now too... see

Old May 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
SOMEONE HAD TO BUY A GS..

jb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond reputejb4g has a reputation beyond repute
seafoam is the shit...had no adverse affect on my plugs
jb4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

NotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond reputeNotUrAvg4G has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I made the guide...dunno why I'm not acknowledged as author..
who gives a shit! lol!
NotUrAvg4G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Fish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to allFish is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360jeepboy View Post
Hey Fish I have a Honda now too... see

Well, I'll admit I like yours a little more than mine.

Just a little.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
***** Lurker

Name: Ivan
Vehicle: 1972 Chevy Nova SS
darkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to alldarkmaniac7 is a name known to all
did this the other day noticed some improvements only used 2/3 of the bottle the rest i put ibn the gas tank feels a little better at takeoffs etc. thanks for the guide!

Restored 1972 Chevrolet Nova SS 454 LS5
'72 Nova Performance Thread
darkmaniac7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT/MT
VlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond reputeVlcmSfr321 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a bunch of miles on my car already, and im thinking about doing this has anyone had any negitive side effects???...so far all i heard is positive feedback
VlcmSfr321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Mike
Vehicle: 2006/Eclipse/GT
2006mc4g will become famous soon enough
Found it! Ha i used this thread to guide me through using the spray into Brake Booster vacuum line method and posted my response to give some credibility to the author in the wrong thread. So, nonetheless, after reading this thread last night, it brought to my attention that I'm willing to spend the $15 and give my car a little cleaning treatment (I've known about Sea Foam, just not any direct application methods besides pouring into the gas tank). This morning i picked up a a can of Sea Foam (spray) once i got to town (about a half hour drive). So after the drive the car was at operating temperature. I used the B.B. vacuum method. Once i got to my dad's house to run him around to take care of his errands, I had him help me out real quick and idle the car at 1500-2k RPMs (Car had initially started rough due to the vacuum line just sucking air, but once dad started applying some throttle it evened out a bit) while i sprayed ~3/4 of the can through the B.B. vacuum line and shut the car off. Next, i reattached the vacuum line to the B.B. and sprayed the remainder of the can into my gas tank. Then, i dropped my dad off for his errands and went for a good 50 minute cruise, driving the Eclipse "pretty" hard, keeping the RPMs up around-above 4k. She smoked quite a bit, but it's sort of wet outside right now so i couldn't really see much smoke while driving. In conclusion, I didn't get any service engine light and the car seems to be running great. So, i thought i'd write up my experience on here for reference of this method working pretty darn well.
2006mc4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
No Worries

Name: Tim
Vehicle: 2009 Eclipse GS Auto
tcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to alltcsoccer09 is a name known to all
holy thread revival batman!!!

My Ride Thread: https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...09s-09-gs.html
tcsoccer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Mike
2006mc4g will become famous soon enough
I do what i can, It's a new thread to me. Maybe others will get some info from it now, i just randomly browsed across it going deep into DIY threads
2006mc4g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Carlos
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GT
wazatataza has a spectacular aura about
Good read! I'll do this soon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
My wife is always within slapping distance.
wazatataza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Ricardo
Vehicle: 2006 Mits eclipse GT 3.8l
4g Rico Suave954 is on a distinguished road
I did this to my car a few months ago but I did it a few different way :0
4g Rico Suave954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Gabriel
Vehicle: 2008/Eclipse GS
gser7 is a name known to allgser7 is a name known to allgser7 is a name known to allgser7 is a name known to allgser7 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazatataza View Post
Good read! I'll do this soon too.
Lets do this shit together bro

Operation Black on Black Eclipse.
https://club4g.org/board/members-ride...ter-going.html
CAI, Progress Lowering Springs, RRE UDP, Magnaflow Exhaust, GT TB, RRE Header, Debadged.
RIP Matt (Bullet06) Gone but not forgotten.
gser7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Name: Christian
Vehicle: 08 Spyder GT/MT
SpyderGT is just really niceSpyderGT is just really niceSpyderGT is just really nice
I do it to mine every 3 months

Tuned, tucked, slammed and rolled.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
VIP User

Name: Raul
Canadian-steel will become famous soon enough
I'll do this next weekend when I clean the throttle body so everything is nice and clean.
The only part I didn't get is, do I need to buy the 3 different products and do them all at once or just the creep stuff will work?
Canadian-steel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
VIP User

which one would be better to use? motor treatment or deep creep? can I use the engine treatment through the BB? or do I have to use it directly to the Throttle body?
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
VIP User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-steel View Post
which one would be better to use? motor treatment or deep creep? can I use the engine treatment through the BB? or do I have to use it directly to the Throttle body?
Never mind... I just read that again and answered my own questions.
I'll buy motor treatment to do it this weekend

Tags
back, battery, black, bottle, brake, button, buy, car, check engine light, crazy, drive, engine, engine light, exhaust, fluid, gas, gear, hood, how to, ignition, light, lower, o2 sensor, problem, work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in