How To Guide Install Oil Catch can - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2006 Honda Civic Si
jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
Install Oil Catch can

Hey guys, installed the oil catch can today. It was very simple and took literally 6 minutes.
First off what you will need:

Flat head screw driver
Socket wrench with 10mm socket
pair of pliers (may not need)
oil catch can (obviously) lol
custom mounting bracket, or equipment that came with yours.

you can mount however you want to this is just a quick and easy mount while you wait to do what you want to do

What this does: - this prevents oil vapors from finding their way into you intake manifold. If you have ever had your tb off, you will notice it may have accumulated some oil sludge on the back of the butterfly valve. Doing this helps prolong engine life.

So here we go, first take off your manifold cover... Just use your 10mm socket, and/or a phillips screwdriver. Should look like this once done.

Next, you'll want to remove the black hose connecting the intake manifold to the valve cover. I used pliers because mine was seized up a bit.

After that, go ahead and mount your oil catch can. I originally mounted using zip ties, and didn't go very well. I then decided to be innovative. I made an L bracket and mounted it with a bolt that was initially used to hold on my stock air box. I used two washer, a lock washer, and a nut underneath to get it nice and snug.

I then welded on two hose clamps big enough toe fit around the bracket and the oil catch can. I then used this to mount the can.

Next you will connect your hoses. You have three different options. You can connect them where your PCV hose connected (from your valve cover to your intake manifold). See pics below.

You can connect them to your vacuum hose connecting your valve cover to your air intake. This is less beneficial compared to the previous option.

Or you can use a "Y" coupler, and connect them to both hoses, which would be the most beneficial.
Note: IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH HOSE CONNECTS TO WHICH, AS LONG AS THEY ARE BOTH CONNECTED IT IS OKAY.

At the time being I have connected mine only to the vacuum hose between the CAI and the valve cover. I plan to soon run a "Y" and connect to both.

The end result should look like this

There you go guys!

Last edited by jhun35; March 11th, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
jhun35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Fahad
Vehicle: 2006 ZR Touring
gotJDM is on a distinguished road
Great write up! Plus rep !

Edit: sorry, can't rep you for some reason -__-
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Name: 370z's are pieces of lateral shit
Vehicle: 2012 nissan frontier v6
snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
you should get it off the ac line and use all the items that came in the package.thats not secure.you definitely want it secure there cause of the pullies and belt right below it.(possible disaster).here is a pic of mine.very secure.only tryin to help ya.

edit: i have since added one strong ziptie as well since this pic was taken awhile back.

Last edited by snakeeyes; March 6th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
snakeeyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 6th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

gotti is on a distinguished road
Make sure the catch can is baffle on the inside or else its useless.
gotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
you should get it off the ac line and use all the items that came in the package.thats not secure.you definitely want it secure there cause of the pullies and belt right below it.(possible disaster).here is a pic of mine.very secure.only tryin to help ya.

edit: i have since added one strong ziptie as well since this pic was taken awhile back.
I got it used, so I did use everything that came with it :/ but I have a future idea for mounting it, I just need to get to autozone. Can you get a closer pick to show me what you are talking about tho?
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Love My Truck

snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
I got it used, so I did use everything that came with it :/ but I have a future idea for mounting it, I just need to get to autozone. Can you get a closer pick to show me what you are talking about tho?
yea man,i can do it this afternoon for ya when i get off work.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotti View Post
wrong
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
yea man,i can do it this afternoon for ya when i get off work.
Thank you man! I'm pretty sure from what I can see in your pic, that how you mounted is how I'm wanting to mount mine.
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
Thank you man! I'm pretty sure from what I can see in your pic, that how you mounted is how I'm wanting to mount mine.
thats the best place for sure.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydeaky View Post
hey justin, i'm gonna move this to "how to" in a week or so
Sounds good man. I'm in the midst of showing another way to "mount" the can too, so I think it'll be good for other members.
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Updated with new mounting suggestion.
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
tUNED.

Name: Brian
Vehicle: 09 4G69
FeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to allFeaRlezZ is a name known to all
here is a closer pic. mine had a plate welded to the back of it. i used metal zip ties through both holes on the plate to hold it in place onto the ac line. then another metal locking strap to hold the base. so unless my ac line falls off i will not have a disaster lol

Eagle + Manly fully built 4G69 8.5:1 87.5 106mm stroker _ RPW stage 1 camshaft _ Full custom Borla Exhaust _ Tuned _ AEM gauge pod
FeaRlezZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Nice man. Mine didn't come with any hardware like that. Looks good like that too bro!
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Everyone feel free to post how you guys mounted your oil catch cans. There are so many ways and possibilities of how and where you can. Always great to have a bunch of opinions.
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Name: Jake
Vehicle: 2011 PBP STi
unde7277 has a spectacular aura about
hey snakeeyes can u get a closer picture? and what did you mount it to in the back corner im trying to figure out where to place mine. i only have zip ties holding it up right now im going to go buy some clamps and some thicker zip ties for when its completely mounted where i want it. thanks

Ralli art eyelids // injen CAI // GReddy RS Exhaust // Progress rear sway // D2 Coilovers // RRE UDP // ralco short shifter // Black housing headlights //
unde7277 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Jake
Vehicle: 2011 PBP STi
unde7277 has a spectacular aura about
[IMG][/IMG]
this is where i have it

Ralli art eyelids // injen CAI // GReddy RS Exhaust // Progress rear sway // D2 Coilovers // RRE UDP // ralco short shifter // Black housing headlights //
unde7277 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Ashley
Vehicle: 2012 SE Spyder
Ashley6147 is on a distinguished road
I placd mine on the shroud of the electrical box where the oem air box used to be. I used short bolts so to prevent any other potential electrical problems with this install. The only thing that I had to get was longer hose. Pictures to follow.
Ashley6147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Ronald
Vehicle: 2006/ECLIPSE/GT
LAFINESTS is on a distinguished road
What about a how to in a gt
LAFINESTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 28th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

Name: f
Vehicle: f
stumpy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFINESTS View Post
What about a how to in a gt

There's one by dreamcometrue
stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
Supercharged 4G69

Name: Austin
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GS-SDS
Nitsua77 is an unknown quantity at this point
oil catch can

Quote:
Originally Posted by unde7277 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
this is where i have it
Where did you mount the bracket? Ive been looking to place mine there too but unsure of what bolt to use... Did you also use an L bracket?

Stage 2 Supercharged 4G69... 12PSI...Water to air intercooler, Greddy Type S BOV, front mount heat exchanger, 440cc wrx injectors, RIPP longtube header, Polyurethane motor mounts, Magnaflow catback, ice box/ water tank, and tuned by Jackle performance. The newest evo killer on the street.
Nitsua77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Nick
Vehicle: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer
RalliartN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotti View Post
I used to believe that. Long story short: just did a study, blew oily vapours through several different size and configuration of catch cans made from from plastic jars with lids. Some had plain steel wool type baffle, other had complex labyrinth, one had nothng in it, just an empty can with a hose in and a hose out. Amazingly, the empty can with no baffles performed as well as the others for oil accumulation in the bottom of the can. It appears oily air just needs some "space" to expand and the oil drops out of the air by itself.
RalliartN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Nick
Vehicle: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer
RalliartN is on a distinguished road
To OP or anyone else with a catch can on a 4g69: have you accumulated much oil? Any pics?
RalliartN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
air intake, back, black, box, bracket, cai, cover, ding, engine, fit, head, how to, install, intake, intake manifold, life, lock, manifold, mounting, oil, oil catch can, red, remove, screw, stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in