How To Guide How To: Gut Catalytic Converters in 4G69 stock exhaust manifold (header) - Page 3 - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > Performance and Technical > Do It Yourself Guides (Howto) > Performance

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #81 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Name: 370z's are pieces of lateral shit
Vehicle: 2012 nissan frontier v6
snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
I'm not sure on either of your guys questions. Akley may be able to help. I think he had the RRE ones and they did fine, so whatever size those are. My spacers are not here yet so no idea what size or if they will get rid of the code. But they should, the rear o2 sensors just have to read a smaller voltage than the front ones to prevent throwing a code. So honestly any size spacer should work for the most part.

Snake, I would pull your o2 sensor out, and judge it based off the size of the sensor. Maybe use a bolt size table to measure the size of the sensor bolt. always remember to underestimate it, if it is too small, you can always go bigger.
thanks,i will try that.
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #82 (permalink)
Love My Truck

snakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to beholdsnakeeyes is a splendid one to behold
$5 o2 cheater/non fouler how-to - evolutionm.net
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #83 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 2006 Honda Civic Si
jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
good find snake, exactly what I was talking about. The rear has to read less voltage than the front. e-rep if itll let me
jhun35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #84 (permalink)
Jerzey G

Name: Anthony
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse Custom
Anthony27 is a jewel in the roughAnthony27 is a jewel in the rough
Nice post,
Anthony27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #85 (permalink)

Name: Bao Vo
Vehicle: 2011 mitsubishi eclipse
brayan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
you need 2 spacers, one for each lower o2 sensor. the spacer is 18mm according to RRE.
could you take a pics with the spacers on header? please. that way i can visual that? thanks
brayan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #86 (permalink)
Jerzey G

So all i need is a ratchet, proper sized bolts, rubber mallet, two o2 exts,a jack , and that special tool thingy, and perhaps some compressed air cans to cleanem out after i take out all thatcrap??
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #87 (permalink)
Jerzey G

We should slap who ever designed it with cotton in our headers Wtfff
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #88 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Name: travis
Vehicle: 08 pathfinder - modded
akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
thats actually kinda normal.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #89 (permalink)
Love My Truck

mine were half burned out from the back side.i highly advise if you're going to mod the car,header or gutted manifold is a must just to keep the engine safe.my car only has 31k miles on it.pic will follow later.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #90 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

jhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to beholdjhun35 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony27 View Post
So all i need is a ratchet, proper sized bolts, rubber mallet, two o2 exts,a jack , and that special tool thingy, and perhaps some compressed air cans to cleanem out after i take out all thatcrap??
yeah pretty much. Don't need much at all. don't even need a jack if you have ramps or are really skinny lol
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #91 (permalink)
illusionperformance

akley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to beholdakley88 is a splendid one to behold
see this is why not caring about what will happen is a good thing some times
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #92 (permalink)

Name: Brandon
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/GS
B-bo4 will become famous soon enough
Wait what are we talking about drilling in to?!? And when cleaning the manifold out the filter looking things do those come out also? And how many sensors do I need?
B-bo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #93 (permalink)
Elitist Prick

Name: Jason
Vehicle: 2013 Lancer GT
Xero is a splendid one to beholdXero is a splendid one to beholdXero is a splendid one to beholdXero is a splendid one to beholdXero is a splendid one to beholdXero is a splendid one to beholdXero is a splendid one to behold
If you are having difficulty understanding this thread, you should not attempt this mod. You will cause some sort of damage. Not being a dick (although I am one), but seriously, this is not difficult. If you don't have this basic mechanical ability, you may end up doing more damage than good. Justin's instructions really can't be made any clearer.

Nobody with a good car needs to be justified. -Flannery O'Connor
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #94 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-bo4 View Post
Wait what are we talking about drilling in to?!? And when cleaning the manifold out the filter looking things do those come out also? And how many sensors do I need?
they are talking about the spacer that has to go on the lower o2 sensors. you dont need any new sensors. you need spacers or drilled out spark plug defoulers so that the car doesnt give off check engine lights.
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #95 (permalink)
illusionperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
If you are having difficulty understanding this thread, you should not attempt this mod. You will cause some sort of damage. Not being a dick (although I am one), but seriously, this is not difficult. If you don't have this basic mechanical ability, you may end up doing more damage than good. Justin's instructions really can't be made any clearer.
^^ yeah if your not confident in what your doing you can damage some expensive sensors. replacement precat sensors are about 140 for bosch direct replacement and 200 for the post cat ones.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #96 (permalink)

I'm just wondering wtf you are talking about drilling in to if you can just buy spacers and be done. I understand all the work and have done everything on my car myself and will also have a friend experienced in engine work. Also I'm experienced myself I just needed to know what you wanted to drill in to? But thanks to akley I understand what you were talking about and now understand it. And it is really easy to do I just wanted to make sure man thanks for being up front with me though
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #97 (permalink)
Love My Truck

this is what mine looked like at 31k miles

and done.glad i did it now rather than later

EDIT:for reference,ill add this.

my mods were; injen sri- most miles with it. 5k miles with e3 plugs. eventually switched to fujita cai/the rest were rre pulley/gt tb with bypass/3rd cat delete/2.25" exhaust from down pipe to oem resonator back to where the mandrel bend starts and i left that stock(maybe faster flow or slower flow.logic tells me faster flow)/magnaflow muffler/im res delete/89 octane/mobile1 syn/1000ft above sea level

Last edited by snakeeyes; May 11th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
snakeeyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #98 (permalink)

Holy crap I hate to see what mine are like at 103k haha
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
^^ yeah if your not confident in what your doing you can damage some expensive sensors. replacement precat sensors are about 140 for bosch direct replacement and 200 for the post cat ones.
I mean pretty much as long as I don't snap a sensor off or break one I'm fine which I'm not really planning on doing so I should be okay haha
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #100 (permalink)
Love My Truck

as long as you go slow with the o2 sensors shouldnt be a problem.one of the bottom o2's i had to really work with to get it out.moving it back and forth until it was allmost unscrewed all the way out.and then i had to mount the non fouler the same way.working it back and forth until it sat flush with the down pipe

Last edited by snakeeyes; May 11th, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #101 (permalink)

Name: Alberto
Vehicle: 06/eclipse/gs
Albeathose is on a distinguished road
Careful around that fiberglass. Shit makes you itchy as fuck!!!!
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #102 (permalink)

Name: Alberto
Vehicle: 06/eclipse/gs
Albeathose is on a distinguished road
Also I got kinda freaked out when my car was smoking after I did this then I realized it was just the spray burning off that I used to loosen the bolts.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #103 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

I was at 121k with a good amount of mods bringing in air , Cai, gt tb, resonator delete, and mine did not look like snakes. mine were fully intact. I have no clue what cause his to burn out like that.
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #104 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albeathose View Post
Careful around that fiberglass. Shit makes you itchy as fuck!!!!
oops,too late,that shit is on my forarms and it aint coming off
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #105 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhun35 View Post
I was at 121k with a good amount of mods bringing in air , Cai, gt tb, resonator delete, and mine did not look like snakes. mine were fully intact. I have no clue what cause his to burn out like that.
could have been those e3 plugs i ran for about 5k miles,cant say for sure.i do drive this car hard for allmost every bit of those miles.especially when i was testing different mods.i was able to reach 120mph about 100 ft sooner than before on the road i do all my testing.the car is definitley faster and hanging in 1st longer is a plus

Last edited by snakeeyes; May 9th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #106 (permalink)
Love My Truck

big shout goes out to akley and jhun.if i hadnt done this now,i might have wound up with a blown engine from this shit getting sucked back into the engine.thanks to the both of you !
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #107 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

anytime bro! and I will say. fiberglass on Ur face sucks too Haha
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #108 (permalink)

So doing this mod did cause you to lose some torque snake? Is it really that noticeable?
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #109 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

when adding HP u almost always lose tq in Exchange.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #110 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Last edited by snakeeyes; May 10th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #111 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Last edited by snakeeyes; May 10th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #112 (permalink)
UV Blue Crew

i didn't feel a loss anywhere tho I'll be honest.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #113 (permalink)
Love My Truck

Last edited by snakeeyes; May 11th, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #114 (permalink)

Perfect bc I'm keeping my third cat until I get a high flow one so I'm def doing this now and yeh that is true about the trade off of hp to torque I have seen that and I won't mind the extra gas mileage haha
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #115 (permalink)
Love My Truck

you will wonder why you hadnt done this sooner.im very happy with it right now.i still have to do some experimenting between tb's and what i said about the cat.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #116 (permalink)

Yeh I need a gt tb but does anyone have any sound clips? I'm just worried its going make it sound bad...like I have a sweet tone right now I just do not want it to sound bad... Ya know? But I think it will make it sound better I hope! (fingers crossed)!
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #117 (permalink)
Love My Truck

i was expecting it too be way louder catless with my universal mag.its a tad raspy in one part of the rpm band but nowhere near as loud as i thought it would be.all you have to do is add a glass pack behind the 3rd cat if you dont like it.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #118 (permalink)

Yeh and I have a universal mag also so it should sound the same or close to yours oh well it will give me more power so I'm for it haha
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #119 (permalink)

Thanks for the help and reassuring snake
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #120 (permalink)
Love My Truck

anytime ..when you do do it.take your time with the bolts and 02's..follow jhun's instructions to the letter and go back and look at the link i posted.i did mine exactly like that and im code free

Tags
4g69, black, broken, car, clips, exhaust, exhaust manifold, fiberglass, gas mileage, gasket, header, headers, heat, intake, manifold, paint, parts, plugs, rear, rre, sensors, shield, sound, stock, white

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in