exhaust shield - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Person
Vehicle: 2008 Eclipse GT
KuzuRyuSen is on a distinguished road
exhaust shield

Hey, my car started making a terrible metal on metal grinding noise today, and my uncle looked at it and said a couple of bolts from the exhaust heat shield had rusted through and it was dangling on the exhaust. He recommended just taking it off and leaving it, said there are millions of cars on the road with no heat shields doing just fine. Not just regurgitation factory safety protocols, can anyone say if this is a truly necessary piece or if I can live without it (or at least, for awhile until i can afford it)?
KuzuRyuSen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I have no heat shields left anywhere and I'm ok.

EDIT: I am keeping an eye out though for excessive heat. Gonna drive with the center out

EDIT2: After an hour of driving in the city the metal became less hot than when you turn the heater on

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Last edited by Sabertooth^2; April 17th, 2017 at 09:48 AM.
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
0 - 60 Eventually

Name: Andy
Vehicle: 06 GT Manual, 05 GTO
Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice
Free and easy cabin heater
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 17th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Your Friendo

Name: Dethklok
Vehicle: 2007/Eclipse/4g63 GS(T)
Tsensational is just really niceTsensational is just really niceTsensational is just really niceTsensational is just really nice
You can get a piece of home depot steel, bend it to shape, use some high temp primer and us home depot high temp resist grill paint if your engine bay temps get too high.

I didn't have any heat shields when I ran SOHC with RRE headers and it felt okay. DOHC turbo engine bay temps without a head shield was excessive though and started melting some of my wires.

I Instagram sometimes
Tsensational is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm running SOHC V6, no turbo, so I'm going to see what just removing it does (hopefully nothing, because I'm always in favor of the easiest solution to a problem )
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I wasn't even thinking manifold heat shield. I was thinking under body, lol.

I've run so long with a header and no heat shield on that with 0 issues. Just don't lay your wires down on the pipes

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old April 24th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is the one between the exhaust pipe and the gas tank, right before the muffler. The problem ended up being that the piece that it bolted to on the gas tank completely rusted through, so there's no (cheap) way to re-attach it, my friend just took the other two bolts off and that fixed the horrible sound. At first he was concerned about the gas tank but there's some three or four inches between the pipe and the tank, so I'm hoping that driving it will keep dissipating the heat enough
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: justin
Vehicle: 2008 mitsu eclipse gs
Jtizzle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzuRyuSen View Post
This is the one between the exhaust pipe and the gas tank, right before the muffler. The problem ended up being that the piece that it bolted to on the gas tank completely rusted through, so there's no (cheap) way to re-attach it, my friend just took the other two bolts off and that fixed the horrible sound. At first he was concerned about the gas tank but there's some three or four inches between the pipe and the tank, so I'm hoping that driving it will keep dissipating the heat enough
ok so ive been having this same sound and my very first though was the heat shield as well. though mine is on tight over the headers, so i thought maybe it was the one covering the down pipe. its not...its fastened very tightly. so i removed the one over the muffler. is that the one you are talking about??? because it still rattles!!! so i thought maybe it was my CAT gasket to the exhaust as it was falling apart. just today i put in a new one thinking it must be fixed now. but atlas its still rattling and i cant pin point it. so i guess the question is is there another heat shield i am missing or what. makin the car sound ghetto as hell
2008 eclipse gs, DC sports cold air intake, Road Race Engineering pulley, Tanabe Swaybar, Tanabe Strut bar,Dark tinted Windows, RPM custom CAT back exhaust, Green Halos, and eyelids, Megan Racing springs lowered 1.6". Back seat delete tire and tools removed, Rear wiper delete, and drilled and slotted rotors.
Jtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basically Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtizzle View Post
ok so ive been having this same sound and my very first though was the heat shield as well. though mine is on tight over the headers, so i thought maybe it was the one covering the down pipe. its not...its fastened very tightly. so i removed the one over the muffler. is that the one you are talking about??? because it still rattles!!! so i thought maybe it was my CAT gasket to the exhaust as it was falling apart. just today i put in a new one thinking it must be fixed now. but atlas its still rattling and i cant pin point it. so i guess the question is is there another heat shield i am missing or what. makin the car sound ghetto as hell
Does it do it while stationary, and can it be replicated at certain RPMs when doing so? If so, could be a busted muffler baffle/resonator to look into

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old September 15th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Name: Charland
Vehicle: '06 GT
Charland is on a distinguished road
Ditch it. I've removed many heat shields from many different make/models of cars with no issues. That's including manifold, mid pipe and muffler shields. If you're worried about heat crawl under after a ride and see if you're gas tank is hot. I'm sure it will be fine that far back on the car with that much clearance.
Charland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2020, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Trendam45 is on a distinguished road
Kzu did you have any heat issues after removing heat shield underneath gas tank just curious about to remove mine cause of rot toward rear end of car.
Trendam45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2020, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendam45 View Post
Kzu did you have any heat issues after removing heat shield underneath gas tank just curious about to remove mine cause of rot toward rear end of car.
Mines gone for 5 years never a problem

On mine (GS) I removed every heat shield except the main one on the manifold since they all rotted off and rattled except that one
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2020, 10:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Basically Stock

At 3x stock power, the GS still doesn't care about having no heat shields, even when tracked.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Old June 15th, 2020, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Trendam45 is on a distinguished road
Awesome thank you wasn't sure if it was a good idea got it hung back up but if it gives me trouble again I'm just ripping it out lol
Trendam45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 22nd, 2020, 03:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nope, no issues at all. Take it away!!
Old July 25th, 2020, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
MDM

MDM is on a distinguished road
A quick note of appreciation for this thread. I have been experiencing an annoying rattling/vibrating sound during acceleration and at certain speeds/RPMs, and today a service shop suspected it was the front heat shield and offered to remove it. It totally fixed the problem but then it got me searching to see how important the thing was they had just removed, lol.

However this thread seems to suggest it is OK. Or seems that way. FWIW I have a 2009 GS and I feel lame for even posting on this forum because I haven't taken care of it nearly as well I should have for owning it since 2008 brand new.

Anyways, I wanted to again express my appreciation for the comments here. Incidentally it would also be nice to know if any one actually has run into issues with removing a heat shield as well. xD

In any case stay safe out there, all.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2020, 08:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: Jay
Vehicle: 07 eclipse gs turbo
Jayallen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM View Post
A quick note of appreciation for this thread. I have been experiencing an annoying rattling/vibrating sound during acceleration and at certain speeds/RPMs, and today a service shop suspected it was the front heat shield and offered to remove it. It totally fixed the problem but then it got me searching to see how important the thing was they had just removed, lol.

However this thread seems to suggest it is OK. Or seems that way. FWIW I have a 2009 GS and I feel lame for even posting on this forum because I haven't taken care of it nearly as well I should have for owning it since 2008 brand new.

Anyways, I wanted to again express my appreciation for the comments here. Incidentally it would also be nice to know if any one actually has run into issues with removing a heat shield as well. xD

In any case stay safe out there, all.
Had mine off for a while. Everything seems fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jayallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2020, 03:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I took mine off a few days after the original post, and in the nearly 3 years since then it hasn't been a problem at all. I hope anyone else who stumbles across this thread can read this and be confident in that shield's safe removal.
Old August 4th, 2020, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Basically Stock

I'm running 3x and a bit stock power, no heat shields, my manifold has a bend that comes up within an inch of my hood and wraps around the unshielded started motor. My turbo has no heat shielding of any sort either, and sits within 1/2" of the rad fan shroud.

No issues, has been tracked hard.

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World

Tags
bolts, car, cars, ding, exhaust, factory, grinding, heat, live, metal, noise, pro, road, shield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in