No radio/E Com error - Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority
Support Our Troops!         

Go Back   Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority > General > Problem Reports

Problem Reports If you have a problem with your Eclipse you need assistance with, this is the forum to post your question and get answers.

Welcome to the Club4G Forums where you can join fellow owners from all over North America discussing anything related to the 2006+ Mitsubishi Eclipse. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. To gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, you must register today!

• Participate in over 100 specialized forums!
  • Get event information regarding meets, mod days and help in our regionalized forums.
  • Gain access to our classified marketplace to buy, sell or trade parts.
  • Levarage a vast collection of Do-It-Yourself guides on steps on working on your Eclipse
  • Access to the growing online parts directory which gives you insight on available parts and the vendors that carry them.
  • Communicate privately with other owners.

All of this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account. Sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2019, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Paul
Vehicle: 2006 eclipse GS
Pmat will become famous soon enough
No radio/E Com error

I recently had my '06 GS up on blocks for a while changing out brake rotors and a bunch of suspension parts. After finishing, I took it out for my first test run and noticed the radio was dead. After a few moments a "E Com" error come up on the screen. Obviously the error message and the dead radio are connected, but what I am wondering if there is anything specific to look at first. It's just a stock plain am/fm stereo without a sub. Any suggestions?
Pmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2019, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

That was the first thing I checked LOL. So, does this code mean it is specifically a power problem? Or could it be something else?? Anyone??

Old December 8th, 2019, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Basically Stock

That code specifically means there's no communication between the stereo and the display unit

Are you getting power at the stereo? How's the grounding? It's weird that it would just randomly die like that, but possible. How is the connection at your battery posts? Good, tight, and clean?

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 8th, 2019, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: 2006 Eclipse GS Auto
pcfreak4 has a spectacular aura about
Do u have the stock upgraded Rockford Fosgate System with the subwoofer in the trunk? (Middle of rear seat on convertibles)

If so this error message can be caused by the factory amplifier behind the glovebox failing, or the headunit itself failing, or a connection being loosened up and not connected properly

If u have a non Rockford System like my 06 GS, then there’s no factory amplifier involved, just the headunit driving all the speakers and making a data connection to the “screen” to output; so there’s three plugs to the head unit in this case, the antenna wire, the main power and speaker wire plug, and the plug to communicate with the screen, I’d check the plug going to the screen

Honestly if u have the non RF system and can’t get this figured out and wanna go the simplest way, just get an aftermarket head unit and put some tape over the OEM radio screen, that’s what I did and my stuff was still working, I just wanted Bluetooth
pcfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 8th, 2019, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basically Stock

He says in his first post it's the base stereo with no sub.

He also mentions the stereo is dead, which would be why he has the error. So we need to troubleshoot if his stereo is dead, or if it's wiring before the stereo

My Build Thread

Find me at 4G World
Sabertooth^2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 8th, 2019, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah well if the stereo head unit isn’t working then that’s why the screen is showing the error of no data from the head unit

If the head unit won’t accept or eject a CD that’s a good way to tell that’s it’s not working, maybe it’s not receiving power at all

Could just be the fuse, the fuse for the radio is under that yellow plastic nightmare thing in the engine bay unfortunately

U could get a multimeter in resistance mode and test the Ohms of the two points on top of the radio fuse, if u get no reading then the fuse is dead

If the fuse is good, pull the head unit out and check the plugs and wiring

If u can’t find a problem from any of that then I’d have to say the head unit straight up died, and in that case I have mine still I never plan to use again if u want it, it’s the non RF basic one, no steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, siriusxm or anything

Last edited by pcfreak4; December 8th, 2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old December 8th, 2019, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Other than checking the fuse, I haven't really dug into this problem yet. As far as that "yellow nightmare thing" in the fuse box...Yeah, what the hell is that all about?? So the fuse checked out (I tested it by checking the two points on the top of the fuse with my fine tipped meter probes. I didn't use resistance but rather tested for voltage with respect to ground on either side of the fuse. I noticed that the ignition key had to be on to power up the circuit around the fuse. I plan to rebuild this car from the ground up eventually, so you would think that this isn't a problem, but the more that goes wrong with it, the harder it is for me to be inspired to do more.
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

https://www.club4g.org/board/2006-20...l#/topics/7686
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Check engine bay fuse box on fuses 12 and 23
Old December 9th, 2019, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Carter
Vehicle: 2007 Eclipse GS
MrRalliart09 is on a distinguished road
i know from experience that if the hazards arent plugged in correctly from reassembling the dash, the communication to the dash is the same connector. so if your hazards dont work, its probably the hazard button because thats where the connection to both is.
MrRalliart09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRalliart09 View Post
i know from experience that if the hazards arent plugged in correctly from reassembling the dash, the communication to the dash is the same connector. so if your hazards dont work, its probably the hazard button because thats where the connection to both is.
No?
The screen for the radio is plugged into the head unit of the radio

The hazard button is it’s own switch on the faceplate

Completely unrelated
Old December 10th, 2019, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the info and tips. I found a complete shop manual for my car including wiring diagrams and charts....for Free no less. What you guys have told me along with the manual I should have this problem fixed. Well when it warms up a little. The weather here in Missouri has been absolutely insane. This morning the temperature was 30 degrees colder than the day before. These 25-30 changes in temperature in less than 24 hours have been happening fairly often lately and Im getting too old for this shit.

Tags
brake, dead, erro, parts, radio, rotors, stereo, stock, suggestions, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club4G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums - 2006-2012 Eclipse Authority forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Real Name
What name do you go by?
Type of Car
Year/Model/Trim
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in